Firmware 1.21 A7/7R/7S A6000

Started Apr 8, 2015 | Discussions
Henry Lim Regular Member • Posts: 198
Re: I just updated my Sony A7 Mark II

Vuong Nguyen wrote:

Hi Nivedita,

There are three files for 3 different a7 cameras, but not for the a7m2.

Please tell me which one was used to update your a7m2.

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

beanxiu

RidgeRunner130 mentioned it already.

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/update/ILCE-7M2.html

Henry Lim's gear list:Henry Lim's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
BrettMatthews
BrettMatthews Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Firmware 1.21 A7/7R/7S A6000

Just updated my a6000 to 1.21 from 1.10 with no issues. I used the cable that came with the camera using 64 bit win 7, and the camera had my 1670z lens attached.

Low light focus seems quicker, and the camera definitely boots up faster!

BrettMatthews's gear list:BrettMatthews's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR +5 more
Vuong Nguyen New Member • Posts: 10

Thanks folks.

Cheers,

-- hide signature --

beanxiu

westlites Contributing Member • Posts: 637
Re: Firmware 1.21 A7m2 link updated correctly!

westlites wrote:

RidgeRunner130 wrote:

This is the a7m2 link for both Mac and Windows.

アップデート方法はこちらをご確認ください。

This link takes you to both Mac and Windows for the rest of the models.

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/update/ILCE-7_7R_7S_7M2_6000.html

John
Zeiss Loxia 2/35, 2/50

Thanks, successfully updated my A6k to 1.21. No problem with the English menus.

Re lowlight AF being better, my initial tests seem to show some improvement. Getting locks now in low light when I couldn't before. In those shots, zooming in shows quite acceptable sharpness.

Could be wrong, though.

EDIT: Yup, there's definite improvement. Don't know though, if it's because of 1.20 or 1.21. Didn't try taking shots in my almost-dark office immediately after the 1.20 update. Before, couldn't get AF locks in the same environment.

FWIW, I recall that the A6K lowlight AF started faltering for me around the ISO 3200, 1/15 sec, f 1.8 mark (using the the SEL 35 1.8). Big AF lock box (CDAF?).

After the update, I was still consistently locking focus at 1/8 sec with the big box. That's about a stop improvement, nice.

TIP: for those, accessing the Japan site, use Google translate. Makes it easier to navigate.

westlites's gear list:westlites's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a7 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +37 more
pixelpushing
pixelpushing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,230
A7II updated no problems

Used the Japanese link here for Mac/Win, doesn't change language.

Works great! Can't tell any difference in low light AF, which was already improved with the previous update.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
Beaverhelmet Senior Member • Posts: 2,296

Jerry Canon wrote:

Beaverhelmet wrote:

Mordi wrote:
Have you updated your A7 with the Japanese version?

I updated my A7S today with the file from the japanese site. No problems whatsoever, and all languages were intact.

Is there a version in English anywhere? I can screw it up easy enough there. I sure don't want to mess up at the Japanese site. Talk about a wet dream in reverse!

As others already have mentioned, the update files are multilingual. I updated my A7R now, and that also went without hiccups.

Jerry Canon
Jerry Canon Contributing Member • Posts: 875
Re: A7II updated no problems

pixelpushing wrote:

Works great! Can't tell any difference in low light AF, which was already improved with the previous update.

I assume the a7 II uses the same update as the plain a7?

-- hide signature --
 Jerry Canon's gear list:Jerry Canon's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +1 more
Foto4x4 Senior Member • Posts: 2,736

Jerry Canon wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

No, they each have their own separate update file but that link leads to the A7II file.

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 +14 more
Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Vuong Nguyen wrote:

Hi Nivedita,

There are three files for 3 different a7 cameras, but not for the a7m2.

Please tell me which one was used to update your a7m2.

Thanks so much.

Cheers,

beanxiu

Please use the following link

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/update/ILCE-7M2_win.html

This is only for Sony A7 Mark 2

-Nivedita

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Phase One Capture One Pro
Nivedita Contributing Member • Posts: 659

Jerry Canon wrote:

pixelpushing wrote:

No, please do not use the A7 update (It may create problems)

The A7 II firmware is available here http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/update/ILCE-7M2_win.html

-Nivedita

Nivedita's gear list:Nivedita's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Phase One Capture One Pro
Tony O'Brien Regular Member • Posts: 147

Just updated my A7R to 1.21 without problem on Mac OS X Yosemite 10.10.2

I had noticed weaker AF performance in dark situations introduced in some recent update and it seems to be improved with this update. Hard to know if the degradation in AF performance was imagined or real though. In any case, this update probably won't hurt.

soeta New Member • Posts: 7
My A6000 was updated to 1.21 & AF improved.

I live in Canada, and there is no update link in Canada site at this moment. So I downloaded this update from Japan site and I just updated my A6000 from v1.20 to v1.21 with no problem at all. Before I had a problem AF hunting with 50mm f1.8 OSS lens in low light (lens already v02) and camera sometimes didn't get focus. After updating camera to v1.21, AF hunting still there but just a little bit, and good news is now my A6000 is always get focus in low light. Good improvement.

soeta's gear list:soeta's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Sony a6500
nathanhw
nathanhw Regular Member • Posts: 243
 nathanhw's gear list:nathanhw's gear list
Sony a6500
Tigerman82 Forum Member • Posts: 54

I've held off doing the 1.21 update for my A6000 even though I do have the 1.20 firmware inside. I know many of you (if not all) have had success doing the firmware upgrade from the japanese link but I guess I want to play it safe and use firmware downloaded from my native/european support site. Why isn't Sony releasing this firmware to other support sites as well? I mean if this firmware fixes bugs from the 1.20 firmware, why does it only appear in the japanese support site? If the firmware is indeed legit and universal, wouldn't it take only one minute for the Sony tech guys to post the firmware to all Sony support sites?

I guess this is why I'm going to wait because something just doesn't add up.

Foxbat121 Senior Member • Posts: 1,599

Tigerman82 wrote:

I've held off doing the 1.21 update for my A6000 even though I do have the 1.20 firmware inside. I know many of you (if not all) have had success doing the firmware upgrade from the japanese link but I guess I want to play it safe and use firmware downloaded from my native/european support site. Why isn't Sony releasing this firmware to other support sites as well? I mean if this firmware fixes bugs from the 1.20 firmware, why does it only appear in the japanese support site? If the firmware is indeed legit and universal, wouldn't it take only one minute for the Sony tech guys to post the firmware to all Sony support sites?

I guess this is why I'm going to wait because something just doesn't add up.

Because Sony JP is not responsible for Sony EU or US or anywhere else. Each region must go through their own internal testing and qualification before they can put on the web site. Since the fixes in 1.21 is not a critical issue, it is not their top priority to do so ASAP.

Foxbat121's gear list:Foxbat121's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon 1 J4 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +15 more
bwana4swahili
bwana4swahili Contributing Member • Posts: 800

FramerDave wrote:

Taiwan site has link to 1.21 on Japanese site that corrected lenses hunting in dark situations under 1.20.

http://www.sony.jp/ichigan/update/ILCE-7_7R_7S_7M2_6000_win.html

I have not updated to 1.20 yet but heads up for 1.20 users.

Firmware should be universal for all countries.

Updated both my A7S and A7 II to Ver. 1.21; no problems.

The install software for both are in English.

I will note a problem I had with autofocus "stalling" with the Sony 24-240mm zoom on the A7 II is no longer a problem.  I don't recall that being fixed in Ver. 1.20?

bwa

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Sony Mavica CD400 Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony RX10 III Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 400D +105 more
forceofnature
forceofnature Contributing Member • Posts: 733
Re: My A6000 was updated to 1.21 & AF improved.

I just did the same thing and for me it definitely improved low light focus.  I tried before (v1.20) and after (v1.21) in my dark closet and it is a noticeable difference for me.  I could not lock focus on  anything in closet but after no issue.

forceofnature's gear list:forceofnature's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a9 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +2 more
Jazz1
Jazz1 Regular Member • Posts: 223

pixelpushing wrote:

Does this work with Yosemite Mac OS X ?

Jazz1's gear list:Jazz1's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +5 more
nathanhw
nathanhw Regular Member • Posts: 243

I was able to update on Yosemite using the link I posted.

nathanhw's gear list:nathanhw's gear list
Sony a6500
rishi o' Senior Member • Posts: 1,462

Thanks! I used the 55mm f/1.8 on that shot. The only other lens I use is the 35mm f/2.8 but my 28mm f/2 is coming on friday.

vett93 wrote:

Same here. No problem at all.

BTW, great photos on your website. If you don't mind, what lens did you use for the homeless person photo?

Thanks.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads