Rokinon Samyang 7.5mm/F3.5 vs Opteka 6.5mm/F3.5 Which one is better optically?

Started Apr 6, 2015 | Discussions
eBrain New Member • Posts: 11
Rokinon Samyang 7.5mm/F3.5 vs Opteka 6.5mm/F3.5 Which one is better optically?

Bought Rokinon 7.5mm/F3.5 last year for about $250 and love it. Just came across Opteka however which is little wide @ 6.5mm/F3.5 and it is selling for $160 on Amazon so I am thinking about switching

Both originate from Samyang in Korea I believe so not sure if quality is the same or Opteka is somehow inferior to Rokinon?

Will be using for fun pictures and videos sometimes for wide view (barrel issue is there but it does not bother me much as long as I can get wide view I am fine)

Thoughts?

Michael M Fliegel
Michael M Fliegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679
Re: Rokinon Samyang 7.5mm/F3.5 vs Opteka 6.5mm/F3.5 Which one is better optically?

The Rokinon/Bower is highly regarded and worth the money.

Michael M Fliegel's gear list:Michael M Fliegel's gear list
Olympus E-520 Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 +13 more
OrdinarilyInordinate
OrdinarilyInordinate Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726
Re: Rokinon Samyang 7.5mm/F3.5 vs Opteka 6.5mm/F3.5 Which one is better optically?

I don't remember the source, but I've read that the Opteka version is not very good.  The Rokinon/Samyang/Bower version is excellent and very highly regarded.

OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list:OrdinarilyInordinate's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
EarthQuake Senior Member • Posts: 2,805

OrdinarilyInordinate wrote:

I don't remember the source, but I've read that the Opteka version is not very good. The Rokinon/Samyang/Bower version is excellent and very highly regarded.

The Opteka is the same lens as the Samyang 8mm 3.5 APS-C DSLR lens. There is no Opteka M43rds mount lens (the one listed on amazon comes with an adapter), so it won't be as wide as the native M43rds mount Samyang (rokinon/bower/etc) lens. Its also a lot bigger and heavier as it is designed for DSLRs, plus you would need to use an adapter adding further bulk and weight.

Why Opteka calls this lens a 6.5mm I have no idea, probably the same reason Vivitar calls their version of the Samyang 8mm 3.5 DSLR a 7mm, despite being the exact same lens, and that is to make it seem like it is different. All you need to do is take one look at the body (and FOV data) to see it is the same though.

Bower/Rokinon/Vivitar/Opteka etc are simply distributors, they don't actually make lenses. All the Samyang design lenses say made in Korea on them, where Samyang is based, so, most likely, all of these lenses come out of the exact same plant, with Samyang printing the logos on for each distributor. The alternative would be each of these international companies opening factories in Korea to produce Samyang lenses, which makes no sense.

So, none of the various "brands" are better than the others, provided we are talking about the same lens, and you can safely buy whichever is cheapest in your area. However again, the Opteka 6.5mm is not the same as the M43rds 7.5mm design.

References:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samyang_Optics

"All Samyang lenses are produced in the company's plant in Masan, South Korea."

"Samyang SLR lenses are also branded as Vivitar, Falcon, Rokinon, Walimex, Bower, Opteka, Bell and Howell, Polar, and Pro-Optic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vivitar

List of all the various companies that actually make/made Vivitar lenses^

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,448

not sure about the Opteka, but if you want to upgrade from a fisheye to an ultrawide rectilinear, you could consider the Kowa 8.5mm f2.8! From samples the quality seems sound, and with 2.8 aperture it would suit well for indoor shots.

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads