EOS-M3 List of COMPLAINTS growing: CANON, get in here!

Started Apr 5, 2015 | Discussions
Marco Nero
Marco Nero Veteran Member • Posts: 4,923
EOS-M3 List of COMPLAINTS growing: CANON, get in here!

CANON EOS-M3 PROBLEMS:
It would seem that there's a growing list of issues with the newly released Canon EOS-M3. My concerns are growing - much the same way this list is. So far, the list below covers the issues that members have raised so far. Feel free to add to this list (or debunk items on it) by commenting below. Did I miss anything?

• EOS-M3 reportedly slower with EF lenses (in relation to Auto-focus) than the EOS-M1
  • EOS-M3 wont engage the Auto Focus function with a specific Tamron lens (150-600mm). This issue has now been identified by Tamron and is subject to an investigation.
  • EOS-M3 auto-focus Assist Lamp switching on all the time when an external flash is attached. The AF light is said to remain 'ON' even when turned 'OFF' in the M3 menu.
  • EOS-M3 won't work at all with the popular Yongnuo external flashes.
  • EOS-M3 won't turn off Image Stabilizer on IS Lenses... even when the camera is in "playback/review mode". Since image stabilization is known to aggressively deplete battery power, this has the secondary effect of reducing battery life on the EOS-M3.
  • EOS-M3 reported by one member to shut down repeatedly, even with a well charged battery. After shutting down and refusing to turn on again more than 5 times, the member was forced to use his DSLR to capture his shots.
  • EOS-M3 AE Lock button reportedly not working unless you use both hands and hold both the shutter down and the AE Lock button together and keep the AE Lock button depressed continuously.
  • EOS-M3 won't retain the "Magnify Feature" when using Auto-Focus. It immediately switches from "Magnify" to Wide as soon as the Shutter Button is partway depressed. (this does not occur with Manual Focus)
  • EOS-M3 presently unsupported by Apple for RAW files.
    • Most of these issues appear to be fixable with a single Firmware update.
 Marco Nero's gear list:Marco Nero's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M +13 more
Canon EOS M3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michal Minich Junior Member • Posts: 39
Re: EOS-M3 List of COMPLAINTS growing: CANON, get in here!

It was reported here that the EOS M3 will not work at all with Tamron EF-M 18-200 lens

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3822407?page=3#forum-post-55575988

Michal Minich's gear list:Michal Minich's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +7 more
nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 3,481

CANON EOS-M3 PROBLEMS:
It would seem that there's a growing list of issues with the newly released Canon EOS-M3. My concerns are growing - much the same way this list is. So far, the list below covers the issues that members have raised so far. Feel free to add to this list (or debunk items on it) by commenting below. Did I miss anything?

• EOS-M3 reportedly slower with EF lenses (in relation to Auto-focus) than the EOS-M1
  • EOS-M3 wont engage the Auto Focus function with a specific Tamron lens (150-600mm). This issue has now been identified by Tamron and is subject to an investigation.
  • EOS-M3 auto-focus Assist Lamp switching on all the time when an external flash is attached. The AF light is said to remain 'ON' even when turned 'OFF' in the M3 menu.
  • EOS-M3 won't turn off Image Stabilizer on IS Lenses... even when the camera is in "playback/review mode". Since image stabilization is known to aggressively deplete battery power, this has the secondary effect of reducing battery life on the EOS-M3.
  • EOS-M3 reported by one member to shut down repeatedly, even with a well charged battery. After shutting down and refusing to turn on again more than 5 times, the member was forced to use his DSLR to capture his shots.
  • EOS-M3 AE Lock button reportedly not working unless you use both hands and hold both the shutter down and the AE Lock button together and keep the AE Lock button depressed continuously.
  • EOS-M3 won't retain the "Magnify Feature" when using Auto-Focus. It immediately switches from "Magnify" to Wide as soon as the Shutter Button is partway depressed. (this does not occur with Manual Focus)

Power save settings for shut down of the LCD have no effect when in playback/image review mode. Even though you may set the LCD to turn off after 30 seconds, playback mode will keep the screen on for 5 minutes, until the entire camera shuts down.

Power save settings for shutdown of the entire camera only have the choice between 5 minutes and "never". Not allowing a choice shorter than 5 minutes exacerbates the IS and LCD image review issues.

Phcan Forum Member • Posts: 84

Autofocus with the Tamron 24-70 USD VC is erratice, it does engage sometimes it works ok, sometimes it requires a 2nd press on the shutter button and sometimes it fails to lock.

Autofocus with the Tamron 90mm macro (USD VC version) does not engage at all.

Autofocus with the Tamron 180mm Macro and the 70-300mm USD VC do work ok on my M3.
All of the above lenses work fine on the M.

Phcan's gear list:Phcan's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +3 more
axlastro Regular Member • Posts: 497

Wow. That is crazy!

I've put my M1 on sale again and I thought I might go back when the M3 goes on fire sale, but this list sounds really bad. I hope they come up with a firmware update soon.  I was also unimpressed by the dull colors of the image samples so far, but I hope they are just bad samples.

axlastro's gear list:axlastro's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
panamforeman
panamforeman Senior Member • Posts: 1,140

nnowak wrote:

CANON EOS-M3 PROBLEMS:

Power save settings for shut down of the LCD have no effect when in playback/image review mode. Even though you may set the LCD to turn off after 30 seconds, playback mode will keep the screen on for 5 minutes, until the entire camera shuts down.

Power save settings for shutdown of the entire camera only have the choice between 5 minutes and "never". Not allowing a choice shorter than 5 minutes exacerbates the IS and LCD image review issues.

I have a question here!

Assuming Canon will offer a Firmware fix for all these apparent problems: Will we have to go to the Canon Japanese website to get this fix? Since the camera is officially not for sale in America how likely is it that Canon USA or Australia will offer the fix?

As yet I have not "un-boxed" my M3. But if all the problems mentioned so far, particularly the "shutdown" one, are present in mine, then for the first time in 15 years I may be forced to return the camera as defective. I dread the thought!!

panamforeman's gear list:panamforeman's gear list
Canon PowerShot S120 Panasonic ZS100

I think the most frustrating aspect of many of these problems are that they cause the M3 to behave differently than the original M or any other Canon DSLR. The IS issue is a perfect example. No other Canon camera that I am aware of has ever done that. Either the people writing the firmware were really sloppy, or they are intentionally making ridiculous choices.

To be honest, the M1 also has some weird issues. Mine, for example, won't work well when connected to the PC with a cable and hangs when transferring pictures or videos with Lightroom.

Another quirk is that it would randomly switch touch shutter on sometimes, even when I've disabled it.

They never fixed these, at least my camera does them.

I can't really say if they did these intentionally but it's getting ridiculous. No wonder sonyboys are picking on us.

Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art Canon EOS M Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +4 more
Tocsa Regular Member • Posts: 424

Marco Nero wrote:

CANON EOS-M3 PROBLEMS:

I would say some, some of the time but not all. E.g.it focuses faster than M with EF600 F5.6L unless focus is way off to start with and in that case tends to hunt more than M. I think it is the difference between CDAF and PDAF implementation on the two cameras. M3 uses PDAF more than M. It would also explain the poorer low light AF vs M (this is another issue). If this is a hardware difference between the two sensors then firmware ain't going to fix it!

M3 firmware ain't going to fix this.

• EOS-M3 auto-focus Assist Lamp switching on all the time when an external flash is attached. The AF light is said to remain 'ON' even when turned 'OFF' in the M3 menu

It's not just external flash but also applies to the built in. I just tested it. Ought to to be fixable with firmware but depends on the reason for it (poor AF with flash unless forced on?).

M3 firmware ain't going to fix this. Yongnuo firmware might for those that can be upgraded (e.g. new RT flash and transmitter).

Ought to be fixable with firmware. Probably top of Canon's list and might be the only thing on this list that they fix.

Probably a rogue camera. No one else has reported it.

Should be fixable with firmware. Why change from the M implementation?

As above.

I expect it will be soon. Not a firmware issue.

verum lens Contributing Member • Posts: 641

axlastro wrote:

To be honest, the M1 also has some weird issues. Mine, for example, won't work well when connected to the PC with a cable and hangs when transferring pictures or videos with Lightroom.

Another quirk is that it would randomly switch touch shutter on sometimes, even when I've disabled it.

I can't really say if they did these intentionally but it's getting ridiculous. No wonder sonyboys are picking on us.

My M1 worked great with lightroom though, that's not a universal problem to all M1 cameras.

As far as switching on touch shutter, there was no way to shutoff touchscreen on the M1 so that it wouldn't go on again if you hit the bottom left of the touchscreen, are you sure you just didn't hit it with your body?

verum lens wrote:

axlastro wrote:

My M1 worked great with lightroom though, that's not a universal problem to all M1 cameras.

As far as switching on touch shutter, there was no way to shutoff touchscreen on the M1 so that it wouldn't go on again if you hit the bottom left of the touchscreen, are you sure you just didn't hit it with your body?

That's the one issue with the M that has been well and truly fixed with M3. Right now I would say the only other absolute no brainier improvements are the tilting screen and wifi enabling remote shutter. (The external dials are OK but I was quite happy with the touch screen).

EDIT: and focus peaking (but that is available on the M with ML).

Tocsa wrote:

verum lens wrote:

axlastro wrote:

That's the one issue with the M that has been well and truly fixed with M3. Right now I would say the only other absolute no brainier improvements are the tilting screen and wifi enabling remote shutter. (The external dials are OK but I was quite happy with the touch screen).

Magic lantern may work on EOS-M but it has the dreaded shutter bug - it's really bad, believe me.

axlastro wrote:

Tocsa wrote:

verum lens wrote:

axlastro wrote:

Magic lantern may work on EOS-M but it has the dreaded shutter bug - it's really bad, believe me.

Fixed with the latest version. I use it now all the time and all 4 M lenses are OK. Be careful how you install it though. Must be a carefully formatted card and do not make it bootable- just copy the files.

Mr Grinch Contributing Member • Posts: 636

Tocsa wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

CANON EOS-M3 PROBLEMS:

I would say some, some of the time but not all. E.g.it focuses faster than M with EF600 F5.6L unless focus is way off to start with and in that case tends to hunt more than M. I think it is the difference between CDAF and PDAF implementation on the two cameras. M3 uses PDAF more than M. It would also explain the poorer low light AF vs M (this is another issue). If this is a hardware difference between the two sensors then firmware ain't going to fix it!

• EOS-M3 auto-focus Assist Lamp switching on all the time when an external flash is attached. The AF light is said to remain 'ON' even when turned 'OFF' in the M3 menu

It's not just external flash but also applies to the built in. I just tested it. Ought to to be fixable with firmware but depends on the reason for it (poor AF with flash unless forced on?).

M3 firmware ain't going to fix this. Yongnuo firmware might for those that can be upgraded (e.g. new RT flash and transmitter).

Ought to be fixable with firmware. Probably top of Canon's list and might be the only thing on this list that they fix.

As above.

Concur!

-- hide signature --

"Remember, it's the camera, not the photographer!"

Mr Grinch wrote:

Tocsa wrote:

Marco Nero wrote:

CANON EOS-M3 PROBLEMS:

EDIT: Zonaboy spotted this is due to red eye reduction set to ON, which is the default setting. Switch it off and the disabled AF assist light stays off. Non issue.

As above.

Concur!

-- hide signature --

"Remember, it's the camera, not the photographer!"

Those Lightroom issues were most likely a driver or hardware issue with your computer, not the camera.

The button on the lower left of the LCD is very easy to accidentally push, turning on touch shutter. I know I accidentally brush against it regularly.

UCSB
UCSB Contributing Member • Posts: 991

Issues should be grouped by responsibility. All of the Canon issues together and then each of the third party suppliers issues should be broken out under that supplier. Canon is not going to fix the firmware problems in people's third party lenses and flashes. One off complaints should be in a pending area awaiting confirmation.

-- hide signature --

> Bill.

UCSB's gear list:UCSB's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS M5 +25 more
J A C S
J A C S Senior Member • Posts: 9,344

Marco Nero wrote:

I would image that this would shorten the life of the IS of the lens as well.

J A C S's gear list:J A C S's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS M Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +7 more
o_23 Contributing Member • Posts: 736
Red-eye reduction lamp

Tocsa wrote:

EDIT: Zonaboy spotted this is due to red eye reduction set to ON, which is the default setting. Switch it off and the disabled AF assist light stays off. Non issue.

It isĀ  not a bug, it is a feature.

Page 47 of User Guide. "You can deactivate the red-eye reduction lamp that lights up to reduce re-eye when the flash is used in low-light shots".

Menu tab 3 "Flash Control" > "Red-eye reduc." > set it "Off".

o_23's gear list:o_23's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +10 more
Catalin Stavaru Contributing Member • Posts: 533

Wow. That is crazy!

I've put my M1 on sale again and I thought I might go back when the M3 goes on fire sale, but this list sounds really bad. I hope they come up with a firmware update soon.  I was also unimpressed by the dull colors of the image samples so far, but I hope they are just bad samples.

The dull colors is for me the single biggest and most worrying issue of the EOS M3. The same problem is present in the G7X, I am almost sure that Canon found it cheaper to have another company build this new sensor. If the pictures presented until now would have been convincing I am sure that any other issues would be regarded as very minor and no one would even think about selling his M3 or make a big deal about the other issues. But the pictures are simply dull, if Canon insists that you can't have it's best color rendering in their under $1000 cameras then I will just have to look for solutions on other brands. I really like the Panasonic LX100.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads