Almost "Perfect" as a tablet

Started Apr 5, 2015 | User reviews
KC
KC New Member • Posts: 7
Almost "Perfect" as a tablet

Just as there's no such thing as a perfect camera, when it comes to tablets, it's a case of paralysis by analysis. Nevertheless, the Tab S is a dream come true! A big glorious screen in a form factor I could squeeze into my over-sized waist-pouch.

Ever since I had my previous Samsung tablet 7.7 nicked in a taxi (clothed in a black cover & left behind on the backseat...), I've been waiting for this iteration of Samsung's amazing AMOLED screen on a tablet.

Recently, I used the Tab S to replace my laptop plus use it as my GPS/babelfish translator in Japan on my Snow Monkey expedition (you can browse my travel blog in my profile). And my verdict - it's almost perfect !

After an initial hiccup configuring my prepaid dataSIM card (from DataGo) in an old Samsung GSII to work as a mifi, the Tab S performed like a champion, letting me surf the internet with no lag at all 

As a photo viewer, nothing beats the Super Amoled screen (now significantly improved for photos, without over-saturation of reds/greens). However, my biggest gripe was the fact that I couldn't use Picasa, the original program, as I would on a laptop. The Picasa-compatible apps available on PlayStore simply aren't the same ...

KC's gear list:KC's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
Samsung Tab S 8.4
8.4 screen • 8 megapixels (rear) • 2 megapixels (front)
Announced: Jun 12, 2014
KC's score
Average community score
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 30,738
Re: Almost "Perfect" as a tablet

I have this and the 12.2 and don't see any screen difference. Super amoled is just a marketing name. Thec12.2 isn't super amoled screen.

plantdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 4,245

I bought a Tab Pro 8.? on sale for $200. Great tablet in this size. Beats my Ipad for 2 reasons. 1) No need to master Itunes to do anything with music, photos, videos. I strongly dislike the Itunes lock down. 2) expandable memory with 64 gig micro sd cards selling for $25. I have one card with all my music and another with all my photos and videos, which have been downsized without an impact on viewing quality. Trying to convince the wife to buy the larger Pro available as a refurb for $225. The S selling for a premium price that I can't afford right now.

Greg

Refurb is likely used which means an old battery that doesn't last like new.

KC
OP KC New Member • Posts: 7

Guess I was hooked on "Super Amoled" screen technology ever since I got my Samsung Tab 7.7. Back then it had a resolution of 1280 by 800. The Tab S trumps it with its sharp 2560 by 1600 pixels.

I haven't held my S Tab up against the 12.2 but I've compared it to a Tab 3 8.0" I bought for general reading purposes: you can appreciate Amoled's "infinite"contrast ratio (pixels are turned off to represent true black) with more vibrant greens & reds vs normal TFT LCD tech.

IMHO I suspect that OLED screens will eventually become mainstream in TVs & laptops as well, once they have economies of scale.

KC's gear list:KC's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +3 more
davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 7,188

I have the 10.5 inch version, and I love it.  It is a shame that Android isn't colour managed, though (mind you, neither is the iPad)

Dave

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
Abu Mahendra Veteran Member • Posts: 5,312

I have this and the 12.2 and don't see any screen difference. Super amoled is just a marketing name. Thec12.2 isn't super amoled screen.

Obviously you need glasses or your color receptors in your eyes are damaged.

-- hide signature --

>> I love the Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens! <<

Abu Mahendra's gear list:Abu Mahendra's gear list
Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM +5 more
Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,994

KC wrote:

Just as there's no such thing as a perfect camera, when it comes to tablets, it's a case of paralysis by analysis. Nevertheless, the Tab S is a dream come true! A big glorious screen in a form factor I could squeeze into my over-sized waist-pouch.

Ever since I had my previous Samsung tablet 7.7 nicked in a taxi (clothed in a black cover & left behind on the backseat...), I've been waiting for this iteration of Samsung's amazing AMOLED screen on a tablet.

Recently, I used the Tab S to replace my laptop plus use it as my GPS/babelfish translator in Japan on my Snow Monkey expedition (you can browse my travel blog in my profile). And my verdict - it's almost perfect !

After an initial hiccup configuring my prepaid dataSIM card (from DataGo) in an old Samsung GSII to work as a mifi, the Tab S performed like a champion, letting me surf the internet with no lag at all

As a photo viewer, nothing beats the Super Amoled screen (now significantly improved for photos, without over-saturation of reds/greens). However, my biggest gripe was the fact that I couldn't use Picasa, the original program, as I would on a laptop. The Picasa-compatible apps available on PlayStore simply aren't the same ...

I agree with your assessment. I just purchased the Galaxy tab S 10.5" and love it - especially the screen.  I got it on sale since the new Tab S2 arrived. However, the stores sold out so quickly at that price that they brought it back up to $499 - glad I got mine for $399.

As soon as I saw the screen in the store I was sold. I've had 3 tablets - this is by far the best all around - but especially the awesome display.

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +1 more
TonyGamble Veteran Member • Posts: 3,630

But still not as good as the 7.7 AMOLED?

I ask as mine has not yet been stolen. I love it. Should it now be pensioned off and replaced? But what is new and better?

I should add that amongst the things it does is to act as a Satnav in our 1991 car and that means the screen must be bright and protected by a non-reflective film.

Tony

Marla
Marla Veteran Member • Posts: 8,994

TonyGamble wrote:

But still not as good as the 7.7 AMOLED?

I don't know about the 7.7 - no experience with that one!

I ask as mine has not yet been stolen. I love it. Should it now be pensioned off and replaced? But what is new and better?

I should add that amongst the things it does is to act as a Satnav in our 1991 car and that means the screen must be bright and protected by a non-reflective film.

Tony

-- hide signature --

Maria

Marla's gear list:Marla's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +1 more

What you are liking is the pixel count of the screen which is understandable. The pixel count on samsung tab A's are quite low.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads