D5500 and D5300 Shutter Shock

Started Apr 5, 2015 | Discussions
Catallaxy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724
D5500 and D5300 Shutter Shock

In the recent D5500 review here on DPReview, the reviewers mentioned that the D5500 has shutter shock at certain ranges... and also said the D5300 also shared that problem, as well as other cameras.

Does anyone have any links to tests that show the magnitude of the effect and the affected shutter speeds for various cameras? I am wondering if the D3300 has this problem also? I found a posting by Jack Hogan that displayed D7100 versus D5300 that seemed to show that the D5300 was less sharp in certain shutter speeds.

Google and Yahoo searches as well as searches in DPreview threads are not yielding much on Nikon cameras (lots of micro 4/3 threads). I have a D5300, as well as five other Nikon cameras.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Nikon D5300 Nikon D5500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
monographix
monographix Regular Member • Posts: 484
Re: D5500 and D5300 Shutter Shock

i think you mean Thom Hogan ?

I am also curious what dpreview findings on shutter shock would be for D7200

-- hide signature --

Nick
www.flickr.com/nickdelhanidis/sets
monographix.deviantart.com/gallery

monographix's gear list:monographix's gear list
Nikon D500 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | S Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +5 more
noobDSLRuser Regular Member • Posts: 107

I recently purchased a D5300 and I was having some issues with back/front focus, so I made a thread ( http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3818018 ) for discussion.

In the thread, a member here (Pavel P) replied with the following post:

Pavel P wrote:

Yesterday I found a review on one photoserver in Czech Republic. They reviewed Nikon D5300. The reviewer found interesting facts about the models he had tested. As it is only in Czech language ( http://www.digimanie.cz/recenze-nikon-d5300-bezdratovy-dslr-turista/5534-2 ) , I will translate the part that speaks about sharpness problem of their D5300 bodies.

Quote from the article:

I came across one unpleasant thing regarding D5300, that would be good to highlight. In certain shutter speeds the photos are blurry. It is not yet clear whether this applies only to certain pieces or if it is an overall problem of model D5300. We had tested two pieces (D5300) and both of them were suffering by this problem. Also I have found several examples on the Internet, that were clearly showing the same thing. So what did I find out?

When shutter speed is set to 1/200 s, we can observe a significant "ghosting effect" (doubling of an image), which is likely a problem of a shutter release. When longer shutter speed is used the problem appears less significant. So, when we used 1/125 s the "ghost effect" is not visible, but it switches into a blurry picture thanks to the longer speed. When the shutter speed value is set to 1/100 images look slightly better, but blur is still visible even with 1/50 s (it can be easily considered as a result of wrong focusing or optical problem of a lens). BUT, when we used shutter speed 1/30 s and longer, this problem disappears and the image is sharp.

It is strange, because I can't imagine how could a person not be able to hand-held the shutter speed 1/200 s. It is even stranger, because same problem occurred when shooting on the tripod.

Shutter speed 1/250 s produces nice sharp images. Shutter speed 1/200 s looks acceptable on the first look, but when you look on the vertical lines you can notice they are significantly less sharp.

Last sample shows same issue. Shutter speed 1/320 and 1/250 s are sharp and without any problem. Speed 1/200 shows ghosting effect again. And when 1/160 s and lower speed are used "ghosting" gradually switches into a blur.

This sharpness issue occurred on both D5300 bodies while using 4 different lenses that we had available for the test. The extent of the issue may vary from piece to piece. On a second body of D5300 that was tested, this issue was milder, but it occurred in same shutter speeds as on the first tested body.

It is a question how the problem with image blur described in the chapter about exposure is frequent. Our both tested pieces suffered same problem. Therefore I strongly recommend to test your piece before the purchase, especially try shutter speed from 1/250 and 1/200 .

Is this the kind of information you are looking for? I don't know if its right or not, just something that was being discussed.

noobDSLRuser's gear list:noobDSLRuser's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
hardcure New Member • Posts: 1

I, too, am very concerned about the DPReview regarding Shutter Shock in the D5500.  It sounds like it should be a significantly serious problem to be a disqualifying fault.  Why would the review be so favorable if the camera blurs photos in the most used shutter speeds between 1/20 and 1/200?  Why would anyone want to pay big bucks for such a camera?  Unfortunately I had already ordered one before I saw the review, and may be stuck.

Stephan Def Regular Member • Posts: 451
Re: D5500 and D5300 Shutter Shock... Where did you read it?

Catallaxy wrote:

In the recent D5500 review here on DPReview, the reviewers mentioned that the D5500 has shutter shock at certain ranges... and also said the D5300 also shared that problem, as well as other cameras.

Catallaxy

Were does the recent DPreview say that?? I just went back and reread it, I cannot see it anywhere that it says that. Please tell me on what page you read it, in what section.

Stephan Def's gear list:Stephan Def's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
Tianium Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280
Re: Where did you read it?

Catallaxy wrote:

Catallaxy

Were does the recent DPreview say that?? I just went back and reread it, I cannot see it anywhere that it says that. Please tell me on what page you read it, in what section.

Page 8. Lab test and studio scene. Under the heading Shutter Shock

Tianium Veteran Member • Posts: 4,280

Catallaxy wrote:

Catallaxy

Sounds like it's not much of an issue unless you looking for critical sharpness and contrast at 100%.
Darin

carolowe
carolowe Regular Member • Posts: 117

I've had to be cautious w/ even my D90 for shutter shock yet to date my sharpest images have come from that camera. For landscapes and other things likely to remain still I take advantage of setting it to fire after my hands are off. Or I'm firing a number of shots in a row, holding the shutter down. Still i have sharp photos of people and animals in motion so shooting handheld and pressing shutter as if you're firing a pistol at a target yields what I'm after. Some laugh at the option of touch screen on the 5500, but a light touch where you want to focus and definitely no worries about shutter shock. I shot it over the weekend and resting the lens in my left hand, looking thru the viewfinder, releasing shutter while my right hand was using the nice grip I was not aware of any shutter shock. The D5500 was braced against my face. Seemed rock steady.

I have not transferred files to my MacBook yet. However, I shot w/ a D5300 for,a,week over a year ago and those images were tack sharp. I found the grip on the D5500 a major improvement over its predecessors. The camera feels well balanced w/ the 18-140mm kit lens.

-- hide signature --

~Carol
fun, friends, family and photography!

RyanBoston Senior Member • Posts: 1,188

Catallaxy wrote:

Catallaxy

Sounds like it's not much of an issue unless you looking for critical sharpness and contrast at 100%.
Darin

I've had a D5300 since it came out and over 10,000 plus shots I have never seen a pic that was blurry due to shutter shock. At 100 percent view they are all tack sharp.

If anything I have been more impressed with this camera for its raw image quality over any other camera I have owned. I have it paired up with a 35mm 1.8 and love it.

The only issue I have with this body is no HSS and timer has to be set for every picture taken. I also was not impressed with the Adobe color profiles, so I built a bunch of my own dng profiles.

I'm sure there are bad copies out there so you just have to inspect and return till you get a good copy.

RyanBoston's gear list:RyanBoston's gear list
Canon EOS 6D
LJohnK2
LJohnK2 Contributing Member • Posts: 608
Re: Shutter Shock or VR

1/160 to 1/320 sometimes produce less than tack results on my D5100....I had to date always thought it had more to due with the lens based VR I of my 18-105 because I never seemed to get it with the 55-300 VR II.

However, I just got back from seven days of shooting with the Sigma 17-70 C and the issue is present in some very unexpected shots.....therefore, I'm thinking DPReviews premise that its shutter related seems valid.

Cheers;

LJohnK2's gear list:LJohnK2's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more

you're introducing yet another Camera here, up to now we have been talking about the D5300 and the D5500. These are 24MP devices with no AA filter. I think the D5100 is quite different, not to say it could not also have such an issue, its just only really quiet another Camera with quite another kind of shutter I think.

Sony Alpha DSLR-A200 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
LJohnK2

Stephan Def wrote:

you're introducing yet another Camera here, up to now we have been talking about the D5300 and the D5500. These are 24MP devices with no AA filter. I think the D5100 is quite different, not to say it could not also have such an issue, its just only really quiet another Camera with quite another kind of shutter I think.

Hi Stephan:

The AA filter removal & AF module re different from the D5100 to D5300/D5500....shutter and mirror mechanism I thought remain unchanged ?

If anything the higher MP and AA filter removal would simply alter the shutter speeds were the phenomenon is most evident.

Where I may have confused things is in interchanging what I have experienced .... vibration from "mirror slap" which is technically different from "shutter shock" in mirrorless or micro 4/3rds.

Cheers;

Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +6 more
Nevermess Regular Member • Posts: 222

I can't confirm that Shutter Shock is an issue with my D5100. However I can confirm that focus is not so good and often you can get soft pictures due to focus shift issues.

Nevermess's gear list:Nevermess's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +2 more

The D5200 was a very significant upgrade vs the D5100. From what I can see Nikon built in a lot of parts from the D7000 into the D5200.

This is a couple of years ago, and I'm doing this just out of my memory:  when the D5200 first came out, I went to the store and did some test shots with it. I was accustomed to my D5100 and I was very surprised by the very loud shutter-klang of the D5200 (it was so loud and forceful by comparison that I was totally put off by it).  I am reasonably sure that the shutter in the D5200 is a much louder and harder shutter than the one in my D5100, which is very smooth and quiet by comparison. I have no reasons to believe that there are any shutter-shock issues with my D5100, out of my own experience. I have not explicitly tested for that with a tripod though.

LJohnK2
Re: Shutter Shock = Liveview Issue

Stephan Def wrote:

The D5200 was a very significant upgrade vs the D5100. From what I can see Nikon built in a lot of parts from the D7000 into the D5200.

This is a couple of years ago, and I'm doing this just out of my memory: when the D5200 first came out, I went to the store and did some test shots with it. I was accustomed to my D5100 and I was very surprised by the very loud shutter-klang of the D5200 (it was so loud and forceful by comparison that I was totally put off by it). I am reasonably sure that the shutter in the D5200 is a much louder and harder shutter than the one in my D5100, which is very smooth and quiet by comparison. I have no reasons to believe that there are any shutter-shock issues with my D5100, out of my own experience. I have not explicitly tested for that with a tripod though.

Hi Stephan:

I think there is an important but subtle difference that may be lost in the post (or maybe just my mind).  Vibrations that affect image sharpness may be induced 3 ways....shutter movement (shutter shock); mirror slap and to a lesser extent image stabilization movement.

The thing I was trying to get at indirectly was that pg. 8 of the DPReview seems to reference " Shutter Shock" which stems from shutter movement associated with the camera focusing on the sensor with CDAF (i.e. the mirror is already up).

Therefore, even if "shutter shock" is an issue, it won't be when you are using the optical viewfinder and so for most of the time, its not any kind of a deal breaker as suggested buy the OP

.....IMHO mirror slap and VR vibrations which affect all Nikon DSLR's are the more irksome issues, but you can't buy your way out of them as of yet.

Cheers

Mark van Dam Regular Member • Posts: 283

noobDSLRuser wrote:

I recently purchased a D5300 and I was having some issues with back/front focus, so I made a thread ( http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3818018 ) for discussion.

In the thread, a member here (Pavel P) replied with the following post:

Pavel P wrote:

Yesterday I found a review on one photoserver in Czech Republic. They reviewed Nikon D5300. The reviewer found interesting facts about the models he had tested. As it is only in Czech language ( http://www.digimanie.cz/recenze-nikon-d5300-bezdratovy-dslr-turista/5534-2 ) , I will translate the part that speaks about sharpness problem of their D5300 bodies.

Quote from the article:

I came across one unpleasant thing regarding D5300, that would be good to highlight. In certain shutter speeds the photos are blurry. It is not yet clear whether this applies only to certain pieces or if it is an overall problem of model D5300. We had tested two pieces (D5300) and both of them were suffering by this problem. Also I have found several examples on the Internet, that were clearly showing the same thing. So what did I find out?

When shutter speed is set to 1/200 s, we can observe a significant "ghosting effect" (doubling of an image), which is likely a problem of a shutter release. When longer shutter speed is used the problem appears less significant. So, when we used 1/125 s the "ghost effect" is not visible, but it switches into a blurry picture thanks to the longer speed. When the shutter speed value is set to 1/100 images look slightly better, but blur is still visible even with 1/50 s (it can be easily considered as a result of wrong focusing or optical problem of a lens). BUT, when we used shutter speed 1/30 s and longer, this problem disappears and the image is sharp.

It is strange, because I can't imagine how could a person not be able to hand-held the shutter speed 1/200 s. It is even stranger, because same problem occurred when shooting on the tripod.

Shutter speed 1/250 s produces nice sharp images. Shutter speed 1/200 s looks acceptable on the first look, but when you look on the vertical lines you can notice they are significantly less sharp.

Last sample shows same issue. Shutter speed 1/320 and 1/250 s are sharp and without any problem. Speed 1/200 shows ghosting effect again. And when 1/160 s and lower speed are used "ghosting" gradually switches into a blur.

This sharpness issue occurred on both D5300 bodies while using 4 different lenses that we had available for the test. The extent of the issue may vary from piece to piece. On a second body of D5300 that was tested, this issue was milder, but it occurred in same shutter speeds as on the first tested body.

It is a question how the problem with image blur described in the chapter about exposure is frequent. Our both tested pieces suffered same problem. Therefore I strongly recommend to test your piece before the purchase, especially try shutter speed from 1/250 and 1/200 .

Is this the kind of information you are looking for? I don't know if its right or not, just something that was being discussed.

This was my experience with 2 separate D5300 bodies, but only when combined with external flash and with VR on.  With the recent firmware regarding the 300mm lens and shuttershock VR problems, it makes me suspect this is the same thing happening here.  Of course, when I described my issue to Nikon when I recently sent my camera in, it was not addressed at all, and I was treated as if I didn't know how to take a picture properly.

-- hide signature --

--Mark van Dam

simply1 New Member • Posts: 20

Catallaxy wrote:

Does anyone have any links to tests that show the magnitude of the effect and the affected shutter speeds for various cameras? ..

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Yes, I have produced many test-pictures in real-world to compare issue in certain ranges. Please look at the latest postings with my fotos. First readers meant it's a focus-problem or something else, but it isn't.

Look, the D5300 (and probably D5200,D5500, D3200-D3300 with 24 M.-Pix.) have a big problem with shutter-shock:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3815060?page=6

or look one of these picture-comparison:

on the left side: 1/40s       on the right side: 1/80s (unsharp)

look how sharp it could be:

on the left side: 1/40s again    on the right side: 1/320s (tack sharp)

simply1's gear list:simply1's gear list
Sony Alpha 7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Zeiss Loxia 21mm F2.8
Mateoserendipia New Member • Posts: 1

I have downloaded all the RAW files form DPReview for the D5300, D5500 and the D7200, and put them side buy side (per camera) in order to compare. From this, it becomes very clear that shutter shock in both the D5300 and D5500 is very prominent between iso 100 and 400, and slightly less in iso 800. In the D7200 there seems to be just the slightest hint of a blur at iso 400, but thats insignificant compared to the problems in the other two camera's. Below are the screenshots of side-by-side comparisons in photoshop (per camera).

The iso number in which the problems manifests itself are the ones that are most frequently used. It would be ridiculous to have to avoid those iso's to avoid blurry pictures.

I have decided against buying this camera (i'm a graphic designer, and need sharp photo's of my work). I'm amazed that it is possible that such a very serious technical flaw goes unsolved by Nikon.

Although I'm gratefull to DPReview to provide such thorough reviews and material for comparison, I'm a little puzzled that DPreview would give both camera's such high rates.

You can see the comparisons here:

http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/7318759830/albums/shutter-shock-in-nikon-d5300-5500-7200

CaMeRa QuEsT Regular Member • Posts: 382

I currently have a D7100 and previously had a D3200, a D5200 and a D3300 and in that same order are how their shutter actions sound and feel, from the D7100's quieter and damped action to the D3300's louder and rougher one, which stands out from all the other bodies.  Maybe the lack of an actual metal chassis inside the D3300, D5300 and D5500 makes their shutter mechanism sound and feel so different from all previous bodies, or maybe Nikon is using a different (cheaper?) shutter assembly, I don't know, but the difference is very obvious to the ear and in the hands.

CaMeRa QuEsT's gear list:CaMeRa QuEsT's gear list
Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-P 18-55mm F3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +23 more
Dajda4603 New Member • Posts: 5

RyanBoston wrote:

Catallaxy wrote:

Catallaxy

Darin

I've had a D5300 since it came out and over 10,000 plus shots I have never seen a pic that was blurry due to shutter shock. At 100 percent view they are all tack sharp.

If anything I have been more impressed with this camera for its raw image quality over any other camera I have owned. I have it paired up with a 35mm 1.8 and love it.

The only issue I have with this body is no HSS and timer has to be set for every picture taken. I also was not impressed with the Adobe color profiles, so I built a bunch of my own dng profiles.

I'm sure there are bad copies out there so you just have to inspect and return till you get a good copy.

Well, I also own D5300 and discovered the same unfortunate issue. In my opinion it might also be lens dependent. With Nikkor AF-S DX 35mm 1.8 there is absolutely no shutter shock, regardless on aperture or shutter speed.

However, the situation is much different with Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR, where I observed a significant ghosting and blurrying from 1/200 to 1/80. None of over 300 photos I've taken within this shutter speed frame is tack sharp.

I also tried Tamron SP AF 70-300 mm 1:4-5,6 Di VC USD, where the shutter shock effect was much less significant, but visible.

I plan to send my camera to Nikon service (it is still under warranty), but before I do that, I would like to know if this problem can be really fixed?

Dajda4603's gear list:Dajda4603's gear list
Canon PowerShot S100 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads