Compensate for no ND Filter in FDR-AX33?

Started Mar 27, 2015 | Discussions
norm1153 Forum Member • Posts: 64
Compensate for no ND Filter in FDR-AX33?

Would anyone have a suggestion on what/how much to adjust -- iris maybe? -- to compensate for the FDR-AX33's lack of any ND filter?   I'm currently using the single available manual control to bump up shutter speed to help eliminate jello, etc.  But I almost would give it up in order to get some compensation for the lack of ND's.

Sony certainly crippled this camera with its lack of a true manual setting with multiple adjustments available, as we have come to understand manual vs. automatic.  It's like Sony said "you can have one manual function, but only one."

Almost makes me think that in around a year they WILL have a 4K camcorder model with B.O.S.S. and true manual function, maybe even ND filters.  Call it the FDR-AX22?

Anyway, I thank anyone who has a sugestion or two on any options for not having ND filtering.

What about a filter attachment?  I have not yet seen one for this model, but may have missed something.

lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974
Re: Compensate for no ND Filter in FDR-AX33?

norm1153 wrote:

Would anyone have a suggestion on what/how much to adjust -- iris maybe? -- to compensate for the FDR-AX33's lack of any ND filter? I'm currently using the single available manual control to bump up shutter speed to help eliminate jello, etc. But I almost would give it up in order to get some compensation for the lack of ND's.

Sony certainly crippled this camera with its lack of a true manual setting with multiple adjustments available, as we have come to understand manual vs. automatic. It's like Sony said "you can have one manual function, but only one."

Almost makes me think that in around a year they WILL have a 4K camcorder model with B.O.S.S. and true manual function, maybe even ND filters. Call it the FDR-AX22?

Anyway, I thank anyone who has a sugestion or two on any options for not having ND filtering.

What about a filter attachment? I have not yet seen one for this model, but may have missed something.

It accepts 52mm filters.  Tiffen, Bower, and Hoya all make variable ND filters in that size.  Prices range from $29 to $69

Many of Sony's decisions do seem arbitrary.   They included a built-in ND in the RX-10, and it sells for the same price as the AX33.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 15,442

lancespring wrote:

norm1153 wrote:

Would anyone have a suggestion on what/how much to adjust -- iris maybe?

It accepts 52mm filters. Tiffen, Bower, and Hoya all make variable ND filters in that size. Prices range from $29 to $69

Yes, variable ND filters are the way to go. With the filter attached you get an entirely new exposure control dial to use that lets you choose shutter speed and aperture independently of each other.  Try to find a filter that lets you mount another filter on the front of it - that way you can get a 52mm lens cap and just leave the filter on the camera at all times except when you need additional light.

eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 2,033

lancespring wrote:

Many of Sony's decisions do seem arbitrary. They included a built-in ND in the RX-10, and it sells for the same price as the AX33.

Some of Sony's decisions may seem arbitrary, but I think the difference between the RX10 and the AX33 is pretty logical. Two distinctly different cameras for two distinctly different target audiences.

Although built-in ND filters would be a welcome feature in the consumer level cameras, too.

lancespring Veteran Member • Posts: 3,974

eFilm wrote:

lancespring wrote:

Many of Sony's decisions do seem arbitrary. They included a built-in ND in the RX-10, and it sells for the same price as the AX33.

Some of Sony's decisions may seem arbitrary, but I think the difference between the RX10 and the AX33 is pretty logical. Two distinctly different cameras for two distinctly different target audiences.

Although built-in ND filters would be a welcome feature in the consumer level cameras, too.

Well, but the RX-10 is a consumer camera too.  In fact, it sells for the exact same price that the AX33 sells for.

A ND filter is a more crucial feature for a camcorder.  If things were reversed, and the AX33 had the filter and the RX-10 did not, I could better understand Sony doing that.

lancespring's gear list:lancespring's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Nikon D600 +1 more
MustyMarie
MustyMarie Regular Member • Posts: 240

Shutter speed does not lessen 'jello' effect, correct?  It is the rate of reading the sensor, which can NOT be changed by settings that would effect jello.

That's why a global shutter, reading complete sensor at a fast rate, not row by row does not show 'jello' effect.

Correct ?

Shutter speed useful for other things, motion jerkiness for one, but not jello.

eFilm Senior Member • Posts: 2,033

lancespring wrote:

eFilm wrote:

lancespring wrote:

Well, but the RX-10 is a consumer camera too. In fact, it sells for the exact same price that the AX33 sells for.

The pricing, or whether or not you call them consumer cameras is irrelevant. The point remains that those two are made for two different target audiences. I think that should be pretty clear by examining the specs and functionality of both cameras.

For example, the BMPCC also sells for the same price, but I doubt that anyone is calling it a 'consumer camera,' let alone thinks it's aimed at the same audience as the AX33.

A ND filter is a more crucial feature for a camcorder.

I fail to see the logic behind that sentence. Camcorder is just a form factor, so what does that have to do with anything?

If things were reversed, and the AX33 had the filter and the RX-10 did not, I could better understand Sony doing that.

Again, that sentence doesn't seem to make any logical sense to me.

The AX33 is Sony's new camcorder "for everyone," according to Sony's own marketing copy. In other words, it's just a new consumer grade camcorder with a fancy new IS and a 4K logo. Just like it says in the tin.

Apparently a built-in ND filter was not deemed crucial for a regular "auto-awesome" camcorder, whereas their camcorder models aimed at enthusiasts and prosumers do have it.

The RX10, on the other hand, is aimed for a clearly different audience and for different usage, and it having a built-in ND filter makes perfect sense to me. It's one of its key selling points for video, along with the full pixel readout. The potential buyer of the RX10 (for video) is probably not that interested in a camcorder like the AX33, with or without a built-in ND filter.

The typical videophile RX10 shooter would more likely be eyeballing towards the X70 instead, even though it sells for twice as much. That is, if s/he was interested in the camcorder form factor to begin with. Hence the distinctly different target audiences.

But this is all sorta OT in this thread, anyway, isn't it.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads