X-E2 Backpack for hiking

Started Mar 25, 2015 | Discussions
Yyahalla Regular Member • Posts: 130
X-E2 Backpack for hiking

Hey there,

for my next vaction I'm gonna travel to the scottish Highlands. Naturally a lot of hiking will be done.

Now I am looking for a nice little backpack that holds my X-E2 with the 10-24mm mounted and maybe 1 more lens. Furthermore it should carry stuff we need for our hikes (water, some food, dry cloth, maps etc.).

The Camera should be well protected (bumps and water (weather in scottland can be a b****)) and easy to reach.

My problem with the few backpacks I have found have hughe camera sections where my little X-E2 would just bounce around constantly.

I would be really thankful for any tips/BP recommendations! How do you guys store your X-gear while hiking?

Cheers!

Yyahalla's gear list:Yyahalla's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
jrk
jrk Veteran Member • Posts: 3,171
Re: X-E2 Backpack for hiking
 jrk's gear list:jrk's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +12 more
Asinus Junior Member • Posts: 25

I went hiking last year in Zion and Bryce. Here was my setup:

Inside a Lowepro Photo Sport 200 AW:

• X-E2 with 14mm 2.8
  • X100s
  • Lee Seven5 filters for both lenses
  • Speedlight
  • Carbon fiber tripod
  • Electronic shutter remotes
  • misc. small electronics
  • Enough food for a day hike
  • Water (the backpack has a separate compartment for a water bladder)
  • Small first aid kit
  • Jacket, hat, gloves, socks
  • Map, guidebook
  • Small tools, flashlight, rope
  • Sunblock, lip balm, other small items.

It worked out very well. I'm 5'3" 130lbs, athletic and I had no problems. Even though the pack is somewhat lightweight, it is durable enough for day hikes, bumping against trees and rocks, throwing it around, etc.. I even had a lot of room to spare. You can cinch down the camera compartment so it won't bounce around. It also comes with a rain cover if you need it.

I highly recommend this pack for mirrorless systems.

Asinus's gear list:Asinus's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
rfg Regular Member • Posts: 126

In the past I had some backpacks which were specially designed for photoequipment.

Putting a cloth or other stuff in it was more difficult. They were disisgned for the equipment and not for comfort.

Now I have a normal backpack, it's easy to put everything in it.

For my camera and lenses I have small bags, which I put in de backpack between the other things.

My equipment is extra protected by the little bags.

This way you can look for a good backpack that fits perfectly on your bag which makes the hiking more plessand.

rfg's gear list:rfg's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +1 more
xraydj
xraydj Junior Member • Posts: 40

I have a Kata bag that I've used for a ton of hiking in the past and it's a great backpack. There is a laptop sleeve and the top section is remarkably useable and roomy for packing all of your extra stuff (raingear, snacks, maps, etc.), and you can attach your tripod to the side of the bag. It carries the weight remarkably well, so you can really load it up and not feel too bogged down. The closest I could find to what I have is this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1003552-REG/manfrotto_mb_ma_bp_a2_advanced_active_backpack_ii.html (Kata is owned by Manfrotto now, so I think this backpack is just the next generation of the one I own).

Happy hiking!

-- hide signature --
 xraydj's gear list:xraydj's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,585

I don't use backpacks so I can't make a specific recommendation, but one feature that struck me as smart is the side access pocket that you only keep the camera in.

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Yyahalla wrote:

Hey there,

for my next vaction I'm gonna travel to the scottish Highlands. Naturally a lot of hiking will be done.

Now I am looking for a nice little backpack that holds my X-E2 with the 10-24mm mounted and maybe 1 more lens. Furthermore it should carry stuff we need for our hikes (water, some food, dry cloth, maps etc.).

The Camera should be well protected (bumps and water (weather in scottland can be a b****)) and easy to reach.

My problem with the few backpacks I have found have hughe camera sections where my little X-E2 would just bounce around constantly.

I would be really thankful for any tips/BP recommendations! How do you guys store your X-gear while hiking?

Cheers!

I like the Tenba, Think Tank system as a first choice. I actually would get a Sling bag before a backpack for active shooting unless you need the backpack to carry more than camera gear.

A sling you don't have to put down to open and show the world what is inside like a backpack. My thoughts on security.

Alan_Hogg Regular Member • Posts: 116

Yyahalla wrote:

Hey there,

Cheers!

Hi There,

I do quite a lot of backpacking here in the NZ mountains and carry an X-E1, 18-55 (and now the 16-55) and 55-200 lenses. Because they are often 7 day trips or longer, I need a full-sized backpack.

However I do like to have a camera up front, so that I can access it whilst walking. I therefore carry the camera and std lens in a LowePro case suspended from the pack straps and restrained from bouncing around by threading the waist strap through the back of the case. This works well with the 18-55 lens and I am hoping it should be fine for the heavier 16-55 lens also but this has yet to be tested.

For day trips I carry my camera the same way but using a std daypack instead of the bigger pack. If you do not want to carry the camera up front, you could look at the mindshiftgear - mindshiftgear.com. Their daypacks have a rotating fanny pack that should work well for accessing the gear while you are walking. I do NOT own one of these and cannot therefore speak from experience, but it seems to me to be a nifty idea.

By the way, on occasions I have fallen heavily on top of the camera with a 20Kg pack on (and have a battle scar on my forehead to prove it!), and the little Fujis are so well made that I have yet to inflict serious damage on them.

Hope this helps,

Alan

Alan_Hogg's gear list:Alan_Hogg's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +4 more
OP Yyahalla Regular Member • Posts: 130

Thanks for all your answers! For my needs the lowepro aw200 seems to be a good fit. I'll look around for a few more days and decide then.

cheers!

Yyahalla's gear list:Yyahalla's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
MiWo
MiWo Contributing Member • Posts: 800

Yyahalla wrote:

Thanks for all your answers! For my needs the lowepro aw200 seems to be a good fit. I'll look around for a few more days and decide then.

cheers!

I've used the AW200 for over a year with mirrorless kits. It's really light and comfortable to carry for longer periods. Eventually I did however sell it due to two major (for me at least) factors:

- there's not really a good way to carry a tripod with it: you can't strap one to the front, if you put it on the side it troughs off the balance completely and there isn’t really room for one inside

- there are only two pockets for smaller items, one inside and one on top of the pack. If you carry filters, cleaning cloths, energy bars, a wallet, smartphone etc. it quickly gets a mess to find anything

As a replacement I bought a ThinkTank Perception 15 backpack (http://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/perception-15-black.aspx). It has more pockets that I care to remember, a great tripod carrying solution, enough room for hiking staff and camera compartments that fit my X100t, X-M1 with 60mm macro, a Samyang 12mm and the Nissin i40 flash. It’s a little slower to get the gear out but not enough to scare me off.

The major drawback so far is however the carrying comfort L I only had it for a couple of weeks and not enough chances to give it a proper test, so maybe after a few adjustments it’ll be better but the lack of a hip strap seems to be a much bigger problem than I anticipated…

Should the Perception not work out for me, I want to try out the Manfrotto Hiker (http://www.manfrotto.com/product/24329.8615.17668.0.0/MB%2BOR-BP-20GY/_/HIKER_20L_GREY). It is quite similar to the Lowepro AW200 in regards to the carrying system but has more pockets for smaller items and more lugs on the outside, so maybe a tripod will be easier to attach. I’m not sure it is available already though as I couldn’t find a single supplier carrying this item here in Poland.

Good luck with your decision and please do post your findings whatever you choose!

Best,

Mike

-- hide signature --

MiWo's gear list:MiWo's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +5 more
MarcoE
MarcoE Contributing Member • Posts: 879

Yyahalla wrote:

cheers!

Go for the F-stop Loka. I currently own the Lowepro Photosport 200AW but find it to small for photo-equipment + additional stuff like clothes etc.

If you only want to fill the Lowepro with the equipment you mentioned it will do fine.

MarcoE's gear list:MarcoE's gear list
Sony a7R III Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Adobe Photoshop CS6 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +1 more
HS50Tox Regular Member • Posts: 374
Cullmann Vigo Backpack 200

Hi,

i have the Cullmann Vigo Backpack 200. Very Compact, and for my needs the right size.

Quick shot of the pack.

Fuji X E1+kit lens with bag (left), Right, from Top: XC 50-230, Panasonic Camcorder (red) under the Panasonic, there is a Casio ZR-100. In the black pouch: Fuji XF 10-24.

Outside:

For rainy weather, you would need a rain cover (from outdoor shop).

Regards

Tox

HS50Tox's gear list:HS50Tox's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-A1 Fujifilm X-H1 +8 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973
Fuji makes backpacks and bags too.

Yyahalla wrote:

Hey there,

I have a couple of larger backpacks that are about the size of the Lowepro AW200 that has already been mentioned, but for a "nice little" backpack that could hold everything that you mentioned except for enough water, Fuji's Black Travel Sling Bag is significantly smaller, lighter, and it's half the price, $59.95 vs $120.47. From the stated dimensions converted to cubic inches, the AW200 is 1370 vs 837 (64% larger) and it weighs a lot more, 2.9 lb vs 1.1 lb.

The middle compartment will easily hold a 10-24mm mounted on an X-E2 because it's large enough to hold Fuji's 55-200mm mounted on an X-E1 with a width that could handle a lens 2" longer, and the 10-24mm is only 1.22" longer than the 55-200mm.

Here are some photos of it from B&H's website :

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025615-REG/fujifilm_600013317_black_travel_style_bag.html

georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,896

Hi.

I did quite a bit of research on backpacks and ended up with two - A Tamrac Mirage 6 and an F-Stop Guru.

The Tamrac is my "city" bag for daily use, and for vacation travel.

The F-Stop is for backpacking use.

For your trip, I'd suggest looking at the Tamrac.  It will secure your X-E2 with 10-24 well, with a side-access pocket for quick access.  The lower compartment will secure your other lenses, while the upper compartment is separate and can hold non-photography related items.  It comes with a rain cover.  And, while the main lens compartment may have more space than you need, you can easily reconfigure it with the included dividers to handle other items.  It is very comfortable with a sternum strap, can carry a tripod, has a side pocket for a water bottle, etc.  It's a very well thought out pack.

The F-stop is also very well designed and constructed, but is probably overkill for what you need.  But take a look - if you find a small "ICU" unit (the units that organize your photo gear) that suites your needs, the Guru will have more space for non-photographic items than the Tamrac.  And, the F-Stop has a "real" hip belt, while the Tamrac just has a simple strap.

Take a look at both web sites - they have some great stuff.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +10 more
Luca C New Member • Posts: 11

I'm in the same situation, I'm looking for a backpack to hike/climb. I found this Mindshift Rotation Panorama (http://www.mindshiftgear.com/products/rotation180-panorama ) that seems a good idea. Did some of you ever tried it?
I've seen it in a shop and the room for clothes/food seemed not much for a long hike, but enough for a summer hike...

Luca

Luca C's gear list:Luca C's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR
57even Forum Pro • Posts: 14,982
Buy a regular hiking backpack and a bananabowl insert.

Yyahalla wrote:

Hey there,

Cheers!

I put one of these in the top of my (waterproof) hiking pack. Much more comfortable and useful than a camera backpack.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_0_20?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=crumpler+banana+bowl&sprefix=crumpler+banana+bowl%2Caps%2C149&rh=n%3A560798%2Ck%3Acrumpler+banana+bowl

Provides good added protection, holds camera with lens plus one extra zoom or 2 primes.

-- hide signature --

"Don’t put your trust in revolutions. They always come around again. That's why they’re called revolutions" T. Pratchett, OBE, RIP.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
fcallington Regular Member • Posts: 103

georgehudetz wrote:

Hi.

I did quite a bit of research on backpacks and ended up with two - A Tamrac Mirage 6 and an F-Stop Guru.

For your trip, I'd suggest looking at the Tamrac. It will secure your X-E2 with 10-24 well, with a side-access pocket for quick access. The lower compartment will secure your other lenses, while the upper compartment is separate and can hold non-photography related items. It comes with a rain cover. And, while the main lens compartment may have more space than you need, you can easily reconfigure it with the included dividers to handle other items. It is very comfortable with a sternum strap, can carry a tripod, has a side pocket for a water bottle, etc. It's a very well thought out pack.

The F-stop is also very well designed and constructed, but is probably overkill for what you need. But take a look - if you find a small "ICU" unit (the units that organize your photo gear) that suites your needs, the Guru will have more space for non-photographic items than the Tamrac. And, the F-Stop has a "real" hip belt, while the Tamrac just has a simple strap.

+1

I have found that most camera backpacks are good at carrying camera gear but not much else. The F-Stop packs allow for extra clothing layers, food and water. One can also buy their ICU units separately and use them in whatever backpack they already own.

georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,896

fcallington wrote:

georgehudetz wrote:

Hi.

For your trip, I'd suggest looking at the Tamrac. It will secure your X-E2 with 10-24 well, with a side-access pocket for quick access. The lower compartment will secure your other lenses, while the upper compartment is separate and can hold non-photography related items. It comes with a rain cover. And, while the main lens compartment may have more space than you need, you can easily reconfigure it with the included dividers to handle other items. It is very comfortable with a sternum strap, can carry a tripod, has a side pocket for a water bottle, etc. It's a very well thought out pack.

The F-stop is also very well designed and constructed, but is probably overkill for what you need. But take a look - if you find a small "ICU" unit (the units that organize your photo gear) that suites your needs, the Guru will have more space for non-photographic items than the Tamrac. And, the F-Stop has a "real" hip belt, while the Tamrac just has a simple strap.

+1

I have found that most camera backpacks are good at carrying camera gear but not much else. The F-Stop packs allow for extra clothing layers, food and water. One can also buy their ICU units separately and use them in whatever backpack they already own.

The Tamracs are also a good design, with separate compartments, etc.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +10 more
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,585
Re: Fuji makes backpacks and bags too.

photoreddi wrote:

Would you really trust a company that recommend you store your camera bodies with the cap off?

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XC 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +2 more
photoreddi Veteran Member • Posts: 7,973
Re: Fuji makes backpacks and bags too.

darngooddesign wrote:

photoreddi wrote:

Would you really trust a company that recommend you store your camera bodies with the cap off?

Sure, but that's not Fuji's recommendation. It's how B&H stores their counter display models.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads