I thought the Q was very clever, now Pentax needs a bigger mirror-less

Started Mar 23, 2015 | Discussions
JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,657
Re: I thought the Q was very clever, now Pentax needs a bigger mirror-less

I am always mystified by those who claim the K 01 is so bulky. I have had other fairly small Pentax DSLRs and the K 01 is smaller and better handling.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

apathyman Senior Member • Posts: 2,458

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

I am always mystified by those who claim the K 01 is so bulky. I have had other fairly small Pentax DSLRs and the K 01 is smaller and better handling.

I think the complaint was more about bulkiness compared to its mirrorless competitors rather than compared to Pentax DSLRs.

Cheers

Brian

OP RichRMA Veteran Member • Posts: 4,073

apathyman wrote:

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

I think the complaint was more about bulkiness compared to its mirrorless competitors rather than compared to Pentax DSLRs.

Cheers

Brian

Well, the idea isn't so much that it's too thick, it's that there is no more mirror mechanism and the depth isn't needed.  I like the simplicity of the K-01 and if it were thinner, it would be even better.

apathyman wrote:

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

Cheers

Brian

Other mirrorless cameras are not that far off from the K 01 in bulk, yet do not have the battery nor the IBIS.

Most of the issues I see with the K 01 have to do with the ambush reviews it got. Except for sports shooting, it kills most other cameras I have used. We even have a GR5. Nice camera that can beat most DSLRs. I would still rather take the K 01 with DA21. They are fairly even in good light but once there are any issues with lighting, the K 01 beats it hands down.

A thinner camera would be nice but it rocks to have that big battery and use K mount lenses.

I have done a lot of family traveling over the past few years and The K 01 has been incredible. It is thicker than a NEX but I have started the day with the battery meter in the yellow and still got a day's shooting in. DNG RAW is a life and time saver. I do not get blown out areas, even shooting into bright sunlight, and can batch process a day's shooting in minutes via PSE.

My huge bag is a four million dollar home. My standard bag is a Manfrotto that mega zoom users complain is too small.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Re: Nope!

You need a K 01 to go with that DA 21. Match made in heaven.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

apathyman Senior Member • Posts: 2,458

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

apathyman wrote:

JoeDaBassPlayer wrote:

Cheers

Brian

Other mirrorless cameras are not that far off from the K 01 in bulk, yet do not have the battery nor the IBIS.

Most of the issues I see with the K 01 have to do with the ambush reviews it got. Except for sports shooting, it kills most other cameras I have used. We even have a GR5. Nice camera that can beat most DSLRs. I would still rather take the K 01 with DA21. They are fairly even in good light but once there are any issues with lighting, the K 01 beats it hands down.

I can't argue about the battery size but they certainly have IBIS. As for bulk, the DP Review of the camera compared it with two other APS-C mirrorless competitors, specifically the NEX-5N & Samsung NEX210. The height & width are similar but the depth is much larger due to the empty mirror box. But the big difference is the weight. The K-01 is more than double the weight of the other two.

I'm sure the K-01 is a fine camera, despite the ambush reviews - enough people like it to convince me of that. Most of the reviews seemed to have been more concerned with the Marc Newson design than with the capabilities of the camera. When it was announced, I was interested but it just didn't meet my needs.

Cheers

Brian

I actually held some panasonics and Olys. They were were even heavier than my K2000.

The Newson design is fine. It looks great. It has great usability but it moves away from what a traditionalist would like in a DSLR. It is more like a Rangefinder but electronic. It should actually be more appealing to the iPhone crowd but it was killed by some intentionally bad reviews. If they would have been honest, we would be seeing a much different and successful Pentax. It had to be killed, and was.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads