Canon EF-S 10-18 IS more than worth the money!

Started Mar 22, 2015 | User reviews
Ari Aikomus
Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Canon EF-S 10-18 IS more than worth the money!

Hi,

I am really satisfied with the Canon EF-S 10-18 IS lens. It's maybe best wide angle zoom I have ever had!

I have Commlite smart adapter . It works well with my A6000 and Canon EF-S 10-18 lens. Also AF works, but it's slow.

Anyway Canon EF-S 10-18 is great UW-zoom indeed - a way more than worth its cheap price!

Why? Simply because its so sharp and compact lens. And even stabilized.

I can gladly recommend this product even using with Sony E-mount cameras.

Some my photos with that combo...

Happy shootings,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -
'Why should I feel lonely ? is not our planet in the Milky way?'

Ari Aikomus's score
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Camley Senior Member • Posts: 1,803
Re: Canon EF-S 10-18 IS more than worth the money!

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Hi,

I am really satisfied with the Canon EF-S 10-18 IS lens. It's maybe best wide angle zoom I have ever had!

I have Commlite smart adapter . It works well with my A6000 and Canon EF-S 10-18 lens. Also AF works, but it's slow.

Anyway Canon EF-S 10-18 is great UW-zoom indeed - a way more than worth its cheap price!

Why? Simply because its so sharp and compact lens. And even stabilized.

I can gladly recommend this product even using with Sony E-mount cameras.

Some my photos with that combo...

Happy shootings,

Ari

Thanks for showing your images. From what I have read (and from your images) it seems like an excellent lens.

Camley's gear list:Camley's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Sony a7R II
Ari Aikomus
OP Ari Aikomus Veteran Member • Posts: 9,411
Camley...

Hi & thank you for a reply

Camley wrote:

Thanks for showing your images. From what I have read (and from your images) it seems like an excellent lens.

It is.And it shines with excellent 24mp sensor of Sony A6000. It seems that Canon really knows how to make good wide angle lenses for a good price. Nice that we can use them even with Sony cameras

cheers,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Ari Aikomus
Winter almost moved on...

Okey, here are my most recent pictures with A6000+Canon EFS 10-18 lens (all handheld shots)

Spring is early this year - at least here in southern Finland. Still frosty mornings, but the snow melted away. Forest bourn flows cheerfully...

1/100sec...

Same scene, but now f/14, and slow 1/6sec shutter time...Handheld. Lens stabilizer works pretty well:

Kind of "closeup"...

I can see a bit of "3D popup" in these shot, maybe:

That's it. All in one, it was very pleasant to shoot with Canon EF-S 10-18 lens. I used manual focusing all the time in these shots - focus magnification of A6000 was very useful in this regard.

It is very rewarding to use a sharp wide angle lens, and notice how much detail it provides together with 24mp sensor.

Happy shootings,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Barugon Veteran Member • Posts: 8,696

I was going to ask why you would choose this lens over the Sony 10-18/4, then I looked at the price and figured it out. 

ttan98 Senior Member • Posts: 2,399
Re: Canon EF-S 10-18 IS

I own this lens as well, I use it in conjunction with Viltrox II adapter on A6000. I tested the lens and found it to be very sharp.

So far I haven't had the chance to use it extensively, but looking forward to using it. A very good lens indeed and best of all very cheap.

Ari Aikomus

dotborg wrote:

I was going to ask why you would choose this lens over the Sony 10-18/4, then I looked at the price and figured it out.

Yep, it's a very friendly priced lens

But what Photozone's reviewer wrote: ...The Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM may be very slow but it is darn sharp in the relevant aperture range. In fact it is every bit as good as the Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM here ... at half the price!

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Ari Aikomus
Flare..And some sample photos more!

It was a beautiful sunny weather this Morning . Fortunately I found a little time to try out more Canon EF-S 10-18 with my Sony A6000.

It is quite obvious that hardly any wide angle lens is a perfectly flare free. Canon EF-S 10-18 is not an exception to the rule. You can get pretty easily some flare spot to show up, as a result of a strong light source such as the sun:

f/25

Notice nice sunstar (aperture was f/25)

However Canon EF-S 10-18 does not suffer flare effect so badly...A little bit a different composition, and result:

...Here I tried wide angle close-up shooting:

(The target was very close to the front glass of lens)

Some more pics from this morning. Comments very welcome!

All the snow is not melt away yet...

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,490
Re: Flare..And some sample photos more!

impressive close up wide angle photography, what is the minimum focus distance for that lens?

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
Ari Aikomus
Re: Flare..And some sample photos more!

Thank you for a reply

bigley Ling wrote:

impressive close up wide angle photography, what is the minimum focus distance for that lens?

It's 20cm from sensor plane.

The 10-18 STM IS has a best-in-class Minimum Focusing Distance spec that places the end of the lens very close to the subject – about 2" (5cm) away (add the lens hood length and lighting that subject becomes difficult). But of course this lens is not any kind of "macro lens" at all (its Maximum Magnification is just 0.15x).

Yep, I think also that this wide angele zoom make quite nice close-ups - with a relatively good IQ.

regards,

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026

your pics look great and yes WA is worth esp when you visit Downtown or a wide lake/sea or walk around

I am sure you did MF with focus peaking with that smart adapter ?

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Ari Aikomus

clearzoom wrote:

your pics look great and yes WA is worth esp when you visit Downtown or a wide lake/sea or walk around

thank you! For some reason, I enjoy wide angle shooting more nowadays than before. You can do a lot of great stuff with wide-angle lenses.

I am sure you did MF with focus peaking with that smart adapter ?

Yes. AF via smart adapter isn't very reliable, Manual focusing is always spot-on

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

clearzoom Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026

Ari Aikomus wrote:

Yes. AF via smart adapter isn't very reliable, Manual focusing is always spot-on

agree,. i am glad we have focus peaking in Nex

clearzoom's gear list:clearzoom's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony a6000 Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) +7 more
Ray1wood Regular Member • Posts: 120

I have Tri STM lenes with SL1 and a6000/kit lens. So nice to see someone can use STM lens on a6000. When you MF 10-18 does focus peaking working? I ordered an adapter claim AF EF to E adapter, simply not working, No auto focus, no focus peaking in MF. What is the model of your
Comlite adapter?  Thanks

Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,200

Ray1wood wrote:

I have Tri STM lenes with SL1 and a6000/kit lens. So nice to see someone can use STM lens on a6000. When you MF 10-18 does focus peaking working? I ordered an adapter claim AF EF to E adapter, simply not working, No auto focus, no focus peaking in MF. What is the model of your
Comlite adapter? Thanks

I also have this lens and Commlite adapter. I believe there is only one that claims AF on EF to NEX. Bought mine off EBay. AF only works reliably with my EFS 40/2.8 pancake STM. On the A6000, the 10-18 just hunts without making focus. AE works perfectly as does AP, SP and M modes.

Peaking is the saviour...! MF Assist does not activate automatically like on a Sony lens. If your A6000 is set to default button maps, in MF mode, the center dial button works to manually activate MF assist. One press, starts it and allows you to navigate the screen to preferred assist point, second press magnifies selected area, third press increases magnification further. Focus peaking functions in MF mode and magnified views. You may need to play with amount of peaking between lenses.

I have a Fotodiox adapter on the way as I believe it works AF on more lenses. But in any case, AFAIK, all adapters are hit and miss on AF and if it does work is slow. Most EF lens users choose to MF for that reason.

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 +8 more
zuikokiuz Contributing Member • Posts: 756

its so sharp and compact lens

===========

yes it looks compact, it will fit into my luggage!

-- hide signature --

stop shopping for lenses and start taking photo!
If you have to ask, you likely don't know what focal lengths you are interested in. In my opinion, get the kit lens

zuikokiuz's gear list:zuikokiuz's gear list
Olympus E-510 Sony a6000 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +3 more
Trollmannx Veteran Member • Posts: 6,477

The Sony 10-18mm lens is f/4 all the way, is very sharp, have good auto focus and no need for an extra adapter. To me that is killer features worth paying a bit extra for. No contest!

But the Canon lens is for sure fine if price is important.

Ari Aikomus
Focus peaking works...

Ray1wood wrote:

I have Tri STM lenes with SL1 and a6000/kit lens. So nice to see someone can use STM lens on a6000. When you MF 10-18 does focus peaking working?

Yes.

I ordered an adapter claim AF EF to E adapter, simply not working, No auto focus, no focus peaking in MF. What is the model of your
Comlite adapter? Thanks

Well, i don't know "what model" it's, it's just "Commlite Auto Focus Adapter EF-NEX":

http://www.digitarvike.fi/commlite_auto-focus_mount_adapter_canon_ef_-_sony_nex

- AF works, but it's slow, and not very reliable - at least with Canon 10-18 lens, with Canon 50/1.8II it works a bit better.

- Lens IS-stabilizer works well

- A6000 focus peaking works great when manual focusing

- exposure control by camera works well (also flash system)

Ari

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

Ari Aikomus

Trollmannx wrote:

The Sony 10-18mm lens is f/4 all the way, is very sharp, have good auto focus and no need for an extra adapter. To me that is killer features worth paying a bit extra for. No contest!

Yes, I agree. Sony 10-18/4 is good wide angle zoom lens for APS-C E-mount system

But the Canon lens is for sure fine if price is important.

Yep, it's sharp lens, as sharp than Sony E10-18.

-- hide signature --

- Ari Aikomus -

temama Contributing Member • Posts: 647

Thank you for good work. We have a lot of great lens alternatives to the E mount.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads