EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

Started Mar 14, 2015 | Questions
RSSrsvp Veteran Member • Posts: 3,227
Re: EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

I have 2 questions for the posters who have experienced this issue on their E-M5 Mark ll.

1) what was the color of your body, black, silver or titanium?

2) in what country did you make the purchase and approximately what was the date?

RSSrsvp's gear list:RSSrsvp's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +1 more
rog1206 New Member • Posts: 6

Rssrsvp wrote:

I have 2 questions for the posters who have experienced this issue on their E-M5 Mark ll.

2) in what country did you make the purchase and approximately what was the date?

Body is black and was purchased from the Olympus online store in US as refurbished. Date of purchase was around late June 2016.

Steveus Forum Member • Posts: 58

Rssrsvp wrote:

1) Silver Body

2) USA, March 2015...refurbished, so actually may be an earlier production run

rog1206 New Member • Posts: 6

Just an update for you guys but I received my camera back on October 21st and they replaced the screen, updated the firmware, and readjusted everything. Total turnaround from the time I shipped it out and getting it back was 11 days or 9 working days.

I got mine back, too, nice and quick. Olympus only had possession of my camera for <72 hours, they replaced my LCD and sent it back. They helpfully updated my firmware to 2.2, which I had already done, but I guess that just means they reset it as part of the repair process and had to re-flash to 2.2. I'm mildly annoyed that the repair cost $200 (with shipping), but at least they got it fixed in a timely manner. I think they warranty repairs for 90 days so I'll have to put the camera through its paces to make sure new LCD is reliable.

EDIT: Looks like Olympus reversed the charge to my credit card and has covered this repair free!  Without me saying a word about it to them.  So now I'm absolutely thrilled with the repair service!

agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: EM-5 II Broken Screen but not really the screen..

Hi

I bought a replacement screen on Ebay for my EM5 II (Bought cheap because of the broken screen)

Thing is my local service (not the authorized service) now tells me what's broken is't the screen, but the "screen hinge flex part"

And I can't find any info on that part on the web (Ebay). No photo, no code.. nada..

Anybody knows anything about ?

BTW, Olympus Authorized Service charges U$270 for the fix..

Thanks in advance,

Alex

-- hide signature --

Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game. From Bob Dylan's 'Hurricane'

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +20 more
Inpw New Member • Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

Sad to see that I am not alone ... I bought this camera 2 days before and just bring back to the store today... I was totally unaware about this recurring problem on this model ...

Also now I hesitate to take the same model...
What could be the equivalence?

Rssrsvp wrote:

Black body

B&H NYC, in used department, only 1700 shoots, so almost 1 year

eener
eener New Member • Posts: 23

It's still a fantastic camera, lnpw. And if you were like me, it took time to finally choose this one. After I had mine fixed, I have absolutely no problems. My vote would be to get/keep the same one.

eener's gear list:eener's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Olympus E-M5 II
NomadTravellers
NomadTravellers Junior Member • Posts: 40
Frustrating, just returned from warranty repair

My camera just returned one week ago from a warranty repair for a different problem, and yesterday when I used it for the first time during NYE, I found out a new problem it didn't have before.
It's slightly different than what most of the people here have.
The screen doesn't work when I open it and leave it open and facing myself. Even if I incline it to take an angled photo it doesn't work. If instead I open it and rotate it 180° to use it in "Selfie" mode it works. Same if I rotate it 180° and then lock it back to the body with the screen facing me, it works. Basically the camera is fully functional but I cannot take angled photos.
I suppose it has to be a connector that wasn't connected properly when they reassembled it during the repair. But just in case, I want to ask if maybe there is a new setting with the latest firmware that I'm not aware of?

quick sleep is off;

I've tried turning off eye detection;

I've tried cycling through the view modes with "Info button".

It's quite frustrating since I'm travelling abroad, and I already had to stay without the camera for 2 weeks, and now it will be 2 more weeks and can't travel freely because I have to wait for the camera to come back. I hope they will pay at least for my shipment costs and maybe include some freebies!

-- hide signature --

Travel stories and photos of unusual places on my travel blog http://www.nomadtravellers.com/

Jakub123
Jakub123 New Member • Posts: 1
Same problem with E-M10 MKII

Hi Guys,

I know that is other camera than E-M5 (different screen mounting) but I think idea of problem is similar. Camera will be shipped to Oly-service on warranty. We'll see what they will do with that.

Have any of You got similar situation? Have you any thoughts by what can it be caused? Magnets/transmission tape?

I'll be grateful for any advice/opinion.

Jakub123's gear list:Jakub123's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,156
Re: Same problem with E-M10 MKII

Jakub

Started to happen to my EM10 II a few weeks ago.

When I tilt down, screen goes black.

It's clearly an unresolved problem Olympus has to deal regarding their "flex" technology.

EM5 an EM5 II, EM10 II, 14-42 kit zoom, 9-18 zoom they all have a high percent of failure,

and always has to do with the "flex" part

Good luck.

-Couldn't help but make me feel ashamed to live in a land
Where justice is a game. From Bob Dylan's 'Hurricane'

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +20 more
GCisko New Member • Posts: 2

I just had this same problem. I am an original owner of an OM-D E-M5 Mark II. I've had the camera about 3.5 years. I used the camera without issue two weeks ago Saturday. The following day, the screen was dead. I disassembled the LCD screen today and found the issue. It's a clear design flaw. If the user always rotates the screen the same way (like I do), the rotating screen will twist the internal connecting cable that runs from the body to the screen. Continued twisting of this cable causes the cable to look like a corkscrew and shorten accordingly. You can't see this happening, because the cable is internal to the camera. Once the twisted cable gets too short, it pulls itself out of the LCD connector. I had to untwist the cable, re-attach it back into the screen connector, and reassemble the screen. The screen now works. BUT - it will fail again once it twists up again from regular use. This is a clear design issue with this camera!

GCisko wrote:

If the user always rotates the screen the same way (like I do), the rotating screen will twist the internal connecting cable that runs from the body to the screen...The screen now works. BUT - it will fail again once it twists up again from regular use. This is a clear design issue with this camera!

When I sent mine in to Olympus for the same problem, it came back fixed but also with a hard stop on the LCD rotation. So I could no longer keep twisting in the same direction.

I did some research on running electronics signals through swivel connectors and it's pretty clear they have to use the ribbon cable.  (An infinitely rotating connector would be prohibitively expensive.)  So I suspect that the design flaw is actually that your (our) unit(s) didn't have a hard stop in the first place.

Olympus actually fixed this issue on my EM5ii for free outside of the warranty period.  So you may want to ask if they will do the same for yours (install the hard stop for free).

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads