EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

Started Mar 14, 2015 | Questions
RodWong New Member • Posts: 12
Re: EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

Thanks John, Happy New Year!

RodWong's gear list:RodWong's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +6 more
John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

RodWong wrote:

Thanks John, Happy New Year!

And to you and yours, Rod .

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
Galleries: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/

Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Iain1 New Member • Posts: 1

Just wanted to log I received my camera 23rd Dec and encountered the same issue Dec 31. Amazon purchase so replacement en route but I am concerned if this is an issue which will happen again sooner or later and wondering whether I should cancel and get a refund while I still can.

Gavhab New Member • Posts: 8

It's user error when you have the lcd flipped out sideways the evf is inoperative (because this is a video position and u don't the evf disrupting your video vies) when you flip it back you need to turn it 180 degrees so the screen faces out and presto the eye sensor works as it should

eener
eener New Member • Posts: 23

I have just discovered the same thing too...the LCD screen doesn't work. Not even a month old, so I'm not very impressed. And first Olympus product too.

I'm wondering if I should just return the camera and get something else because if I get it fixed or replaced, it could just keep happening.

Has anyone who has had their initial problem resolved had any more trouble with the screen?

eener's gear list:eener's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-TX5 Olympus E-M5 II
Tjh1023 New Member • Posts: 6

Update very long in coming, I sent my em5II back to olympus and it was an extremely fast turn around, I don't think I was without the camera for not even two weeks. I have been using it heavily since then been to Germany, India, 3 feet of snow in my back yard and it is still going really strong. I am very happy with the fast service and being amazed but this little camera all the time, Thank you Olympus.

Tjh1023 New Member • Posts: 6

If it's under warranty send it back, they were really fast with mine less than two weeks and its rock solid now been all over the world with it.

Tim

eener

Hey, thanks for your input! Since my past message, I have had it repaired...only to have to send it back again for a similar problem. Hopefully, it's sorted out soon, so I can actually leave my house with it too!

GuitarBloke New Member • Posts: 1

Given the fact this whole thread exists...and so many people have experienced the same problem means there is most definitely a problem with this camera.

And you guessed it...exactly the same thing has happened to mine!

It's off at Olympus Australia as we speak for a warranty repair...but I too remain sceptical about the actual fault. Is it the screen? The wiring? The circuitry?

Whatever causes this problem Olympus has an issue on its hands.

I hope someone from Olympus is watching this thread. I want to know the cause of the problem. Until then...im thinking of selling my Olympus equipment and perhaps going with Sony. (A6500)

Issues like this are a real pain.

eener

I agree, it is a pain. However, since mine was fixed, I haven't had a single problem with it. I've been using the articulated screen a bit more to see if the problem would come back, but it's been fine.

Hang on to your equipment! It's an excellent camera. I'm more than pleased with it.

Steveus Forum Member • Posts: 58

I'm intentionally necro'ing this post because I want folks to know this problem is real and still exists.

My EM-5 II LCD stopped working a couple of weeks ago, just as I articulated the LCD.  I estimate I've only used the articulating screen about 20 times total, although I've used the camera itself plenty.  I bought the camera refurbished back in March from Olympus USA, so it's 6 months old to me but no doubt older than that, depending on how long the previous owner had it.  Obviously it's well past warranty.

The camera still works fine with the EVF and I like the camera very much. But I am very annoyed at this likely/probable manufacturing defect and that I now have to spend at least a couple of hundred USD getting it fixed.

Boo, Olympus!

eener

Could you possibly contact Olympus and inform them of the problem and see if they will replace the screen / fix the camera under warranty? Sometimes when there's a well-known problem they might bend their rules to help you.

After mine was fixed there has been no problems at all. And I use the articulated screen a lot more than when I first got it.

If yours has never been fixed, it might be okay if you can get it repaired. *shrug*

rog1206 New Member • Posts: 6

Steveus wrote:

I'm intentionally necro'ing this post because I want folks to know this problem is real and still exists.

My EM-5 II LCD stopped working a couple of weeks ago, just as I articulated the LCD. I estimate I've only used the articulating screen about 20 times total, although I've used the camera itself plenty. I bought the camera refurbished back in March from Olympus USA, so it's 6 months old to me but no doubt older than that, depending on how long the previous owner had it. Obviously it's well past warranty.

The camera still works fine with the EVF and I like the camera very much. But I am very annoyed at this likely/probable manufacturing defect and that I now have to spend at least a couple of hundred USD getting it fixed.

Boo, Olympus!

My screen just stopped working an hour ago and mine was also purchased as a refurbished model from the Olympus store. I'm also 10 days out of the warranty period and I barely got a chance to use this camera.

eener wrote:

Could you possibly contact Olympus and inform them of the problem and see if they will replace the screen / fix the camera under warranty? Sometimes when there's a well-known problem they might bend their rules to help you.

After mine was fixed there has been no problems at all. And I use the articulated screen a lot more than when I first got it.

If yours has never been fixed, it might be okay if you can get it repaired. *shrug*

I sent them an email so just waiting for their response. If they want me to send it in for repairs on my dime, I might try to take the screen off and see if the wire is loose or snapped off. I'm crossing my fingers on them goodwilling the repairs.

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,802

rog1206 wrote:

eener wrote:

I sent them an email so just waiting for their response. If they want me to send it in for repairs on my dime, I might try to take the screen off and see if the wire is loose or snapped off. I'm crossing my fingers on them goodwilling the repairs.

Try to repair it yourself and the "goodwill" repair is lost.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 38,802

rog1206 wrote:

Steveus wrote:

My EM-5 II LCD stopped working a couple of weeks ago, just as I articulated the LCD. I estimate I've only used the articulating screen about 20 times total, although I've used the camera itself plenty. I bought the camera refurbished back in March from Olympus USA, so it's 6 months old to me but no doubt older than that, depending on how long the previous owner had it. Obviously it's well past warranty.

Boo, Olympus!

My screen just stopped working an hour ago and mine was also purchased as a refurbished model from the Olympus store. I'm also 10 days out of the warranty period and I barely got a chance to use this camera.

"Refurbished" = camera return or demo model that has been wiped over with a cloth, checked that is switches on, and repacked.

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Keelin New Member • Posts: 1

I've had this happen twice with me, the first happened on the day i got it, i got it replaced with another one which stopped working after a couple of days. What has worked best for people in this situation? Should i try one more time or should i try get it repaired???

eener

Ugh…that's horrible. I can't believe the first time didn't fix it. I'd say contact Olympus directly and tell them about the problem (and this thread). They were great with mine (it's still under warranty). Good luck!

Tom Caldwell wrote:

rog1206 wrote:

Steveus wrote:

Boo, Olympus!

"Refurbished" = camera return or demo model that has been wiped over with a cloth, checked that is switches on, and repacked.

They emailed me back a couple days ago saying they will honor the warranty, as long as it wasn't damaged from impact or neglect. I also shipped it to them and was told to give them a call in 2 business days. I'll keep you guys posted.

Just checked the status of my camera on their site and it shows that the camera was received and approved for warranty repair today. Hope I get it back soon!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads