EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

Started Mar 14, 2015 | Questions
Jeff Kna New Member • Posts: 1
EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

So, it worked fine for two days, but then I powered it on yesterday morning and the LCD didn't come up.

The EVF and everything else still seems to be working - still shooting and recording, albeit with no screen. When I pull my face away from the EVF, it shuts off as expected, but the LCD doesn't switch on. Likewise, the dedicated EVF button will switch off the EVF but isn't turning on the LCD.  I let it sit for about 12 hours and put in a fully charged battery with no change.  By all appearances, it looks like the screen just died.  Anyone have other ideas?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
LiamHarrison New Member • Posts: 1
Re: EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working?

I had the same exact problem. The screen just stopped working. Luckily I had my Mark II for less than 30 days, so I just did a return and exchange. I'm out about $150 for overnighting it back to Olympus, but I have a trip next week and needed to expedite.

I hope this isn't a systematic issue on these cameras. Anyone else out there with this problem?

Claude A New Member • Posts: 3

It happens same thing  to me today, did you solve your problem?

Caseylou
Caseylou Regular Member • Posts: 253

I just got my camera yesterday and the LCD cuts off. I printed out the manual to see if it was a setting - nothing yet.

John King
John King Forum Pro • Posts: 14,941

Have any of you tried pressing the INFO button?

This button cycles through a couple of screens, one of which switches the screen displayOFF.F

-- hide signature --

Regards, john from Melbourne, Australia.
(see profile for current gear)
Please do not embed images from my web site without prior permission
I consider this to be a breach of my copyright.
-- -- --
The Camera doth not make the Man (nor Woman) ...
Perhaps being kind to cats, dogs & children does ...
I am a Photography Aficionado ... and ...
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
Gallery: http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/v/main-page/
http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/d/14844-3/C120644_small.jpg
Bird Control Officers on active service.

John King's gear list:John King's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more
Caseylou
Caseylou Regular Member • Posts: 253

I tried pressing the INFO, the MENU - everything. If you turn it off and then back on, its ok but then it just cuts off - even if its only been on for a few seconds.

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,461

Caseylou wrote:

I just got my camera yesterday and the LCD cuts off. I printed out the manual to see if it was a setting - nothing yet.

The eye detector for the EVF is very sensitive. If the camera thinks you are using the EVF it turns off the LCD. This might be the problem. Try disabling the eye sensor. A long press of the Fn3 button will bring up the menu setting required (if you haven't allocated another button function to it). Otherwise go to Menu>Gears>J Built-In EVF>EVF Auto switch.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

I have tried everything could be possible. My LCD is dead:(

John King

Sounds as if it is, Claude ... .

At least it is still under warranty.

-- hide signature --

-- -- --
"I don't have any problems with John. He is a crotchety old Aussie. He will smack you if you behave like a {deleted}. Goes with the territory." boggis the cat
http://canopuscomputing.com.au/gallery2/d/14844-3/C120644_small.jpg

Olympus E-1 Olympus E-510 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +17 more

I returned my camera to the store today. Unfortunately, I lost my Oly for 4 to 8 weeks.

it's a brand new camera.😢

Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,717

Caseylou wrote:

I tried pressing the INFO, the MENU - everything. If you turn it off and then back on, its ok but then it just cuts off - even if its only been on for a few seconds.

Do you have the Super Control Panel showing on a plain black background when this happens?  If so, it could be the pesky Quick Sleep Mode, which is the last entry in gear menu K, Utility.  It's activated by default and cuts everything off within seconds of taking your eye away from the EVF.  Just a thought in case that's it.

Paul T. Regular Member • Posts: 186
Re: EM-5 II LCD screen stopped working? Solution?

Helen wrote:

Caseylou wrote:

Do you have the Super Control Panel showing on a plain black background when this happens? If so, it could be the pesky Quick Sleep Mode, which is the last entry in gear menu K, Utility. It's activated by default and cuts everything off within seconds of taking your eye away from the EVF. Just a thought in case that's it.

Bumped, just to find out if that's the solution ...

-- hide signature --

Paul.

Paul T.'s gear list:Paul T.'s gear list
Olympus SZ-31MR iHS Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S
jpnichols New Member • Posts: 1

Same problem.  I got mine in late February and the LCD quit working today.  I've had it too long to return to Amazon, so I'm waiting to hear back from Olympus.

Betarover Senior Member • Posts: 1,038
Design problem?

I wonder if the flip-out LCD has lost its electrical connection to the body?  Having the LCD flip out and twist would seem to present a real electrical design challenge.  Is it 2 wires? 3 wires?.  I would turn on the LCD (black for now) and twist and turn and flip it into every possible position.  You might get lucky.

For the long term, this is a worry since most buyers will have only a one year guarantee.  So it would be best during the first year to keep on flipping and rotating it often so the defect, if any, shows in the first year.

John King
Re: Design problem?

I very much doubt it ... Manufacturing defect, more likely.

The Karma Sutra screen on my E-30 is now over 5 years down the track and shows zero problems. I have used it quite a lot.

I have often pondered the design points you have raised, both with the E-30 and my Nikon Coolpix E5000 (same basic design, 2002 ... ).

-- hide signature --

-- -- --

mjmchan New Member • Posts: 1

Just got my new mk ii two days ago. Same problem, I noticed it shut off when I flipped out the screen to take a high angle shot, could be faulty wiring in the screen, connecting it to the camera. Real bummer, was hoping to take it out this weekend for july 4th. No one has found a solution for this yet have they?

Edit: Just read through other posts, contacting supplier for return and exchange now, it happened right as i flipped the screen out, so I think it might very well be a defect with the wiring in the screen connecting it to the camera, because everything else works fine and I can even take pictures with the screen black (not using EVF)

Tjh1023 New Member • Posts: 6

Got mine May 26th on July 15th 2015 I was shooting with the screen doing a family photo finished put the camera away. Pulled it out to use it an hour later and no lcd just poof stopped working. I've contacted Olympus and haven't heard a word yet, I hope they resolve this quickly. This was my first foray into M4/3 love the camera but may not be much longer. I would say there is a mfg defect they need to look into.

Tjh

jiayaw Veteran Member • Posts: 3,443
Re: Design problem?

I have the Olympus 33 that has the flip out and twist screen since 2009. No problem at all
--
http://jiayaw.smugmug.com
Yoko Dam

sgreszcz New Member • Posts: 3

Tjh1023 wrote:

Got mine May 26th on July 15th 2015 I was shooting with the screen doing a family photo finished put the camera away. Pulled it out to use it an hour later and no lcd just poof stopped working. I've contacted Olympus and haven't heard a word yet, I hope they resolve this quickly. This was my first foray into M4/3 love the camera but may not be much longer. I would say there is a mfg defect they need to look into.

Tjh

I just received mine, and exactly the same problem.  The LCD worked for a couple of days, and now I can't do anything to get it to come one.

I'm very disappointed after having owned several Olympus cameras (original E-M5, E-P5, E-PM2) as well as a couple of Panasonic cameras and now seeing this defect in the E-M5 II.  Even after going through the hassle of replacing it, I don't have much confidence in the build quality of this camera...

sgreszcz New Member • Posts: 3

sgreszcz wrote:

Tjh1023 wrote:

Tjh

I just received mine, and exactly the same problem. The LCD worked for a couple of days, and now I can't do anything to get it to come one.

I'm very disappointed after having owned several Olympus cameras (original E-M5, E-P5, E-PM2) as well as a couple of Panasonic cameras and now seeing this defect in the E-M5 II. Even after going through the hassle of replacing it, I don't have much confidence in the build quality of this camera...

I got mine fixed with a couple days turnaround from the Canadian repair agent for Olympus.  Fortunately they were only 30 minutes from where I live.  The LCD works fine now, but for how long?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads