Max Video Record times on the NX1 and NX500

Started Mar 12, 2015 | Discussions
Hirsti Contributing Member • Posts: 660
Max Video Record times on the NX1 and NX500

I noticed on a previous thread that someone had commented on a video showing the max video time for the NX500 as being 15:00 minutes.

I thought the max minutes was calculated based on the video settings you have and the amount of free space on your SD card.

Oon my NX1 with a formatted 32 Gb SD card If I have it at 4096x2160(24p) and movie quality set to Pro I only get an estimated 7:57. If I change this from Pro to HQ I get 15:50 and if I change to Normal I get 19:48.

This is where I get confused now.

I pressed the record button and it estimated 7:57 of record time, I let it record and when it got to 7:57 the recording stopped.

I have had a look at the card and there is still 24.5 Gb free on the card.

Also if I try and record again the estimated/max time is again 7:57 and it allows me to record.

Does anyone know why these limits are in place? is it a limitation of the camera or the H265 ??

I have raised this as a new thread as the other one was buried in a different topic thread.

Hirsti's gear list:Hirsti's gear list
Sony RX10 III Sony a7R II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208
Re: Max Video Record times on the NX1 and NX500

Interesting. I didn't notice but I'll try. I have a 64gb card.

P.s. could it be linked to heating issues of the cpu?

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
OP Hirsti Contributing Member • Posts: 660

Hirsti wrote:

I noticed on a previous thread that someone had commented on a video showing the max video time for the NX500 as being 15:00 minutes.

I thought the max minutes was calculated based on the video settings you have and the amount of free space on your SD card.

Oon my NX1 with a formatted 32 Gb SD card If I have it at 4096x2160(24p) and movie quality set to Pro I only get an estimated 7:57. If I change this from Pro to HQ I get 15:50 and if I change to Normal I get 19:48.

This is where I get confused now.

I pressed the record button and it estimated 7:57 of record time, I let it record and when it got to 7:57 the recording stopped.

I have had a look at the card and there is still 24.5 Gb free on the card.

Also if I try and record again the estimated/max time is again 7:57 and it allows me to record.

Does anyone know why these limits are in place? is it a limitation of the camera or the H265 ??

I have raised this as a new thread as the other one was buried in a different topic thread.

I think I have found out why, I should have read the manual first

This is an extract from the NX1 manual, bottom line is that I am using a 32Gb SD card which the NX1 formats as Fat32, the max file size is 4GB on Fat32 so hence why the video only records up to that size. The fix is to use a 64Gb card for Video as it uses exFAT which has a max size of 64EB so should keep on recording until either you hit the SD card size limit or the time of 30:00 runs out.

****excerpt from NX1 manual*****

When formatting a memory card, always format using the camera. When you format a memory card with a capacity of 32 GB or less on the camera, the file system is changed to FAT32. When you format a memory card with a capacity of 64 GB or more, the file system is changed to exFAT. If you format on another camera or a PC, you can lose files on the card or cause a change in the capacity of the card. • When using a memory card formatted as FAT32, the camera will automatically stop recording when the size of a video exceeds 4 GB, even if the maximum recording time (29 minutes and 59 seconds) has not been reached. Using a memory card formatted as exFAT allows you to record a video for the maximum recording time (29 minutes and 59 seconds), regardless of the video‘s file size.

Sony RX10 III Sony a7R II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +1 more

tecnoworld wrote:

Interesting. I didn't notice but I'll try. I have a 64gb card.

P.s. could it be linked to heating issues of the cpu?

Just found the reason, the NX1 and NX500 uses Fat32 for SD cards of 32Gb and below.

Fat32 has a max file size limit of 4GB

64Gb cards are formatted with exFAT which has a much higher max file size so you can use until it fills the card.

So bottom line, if you want to use the NX1 or the NX500 for video get a 64Gb card otherwise anything else is going to be useless.

Just wish they had made it clearer as it is buried in the manual

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

Tried. 29.59 in any mode with 64gb. Cool.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

You could try formatting your 32gb card as exFAT in your computer and see what happens. As NX1 is in essence a Linux computer, unless samsung went way overboard and did something silly, everything should just work.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
gmcooper Regular Member • Posts: 336

Nice work, Hirsti.

gmcooper's gear list:gmcooper's gear list
Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS M6 +1 more
otto k Senior Member • Posts: 2,057

Just formatted 8, 16, and 32 GB cards made by SanDisk (8) and Transcend (32 is microSD) to exFAT and tested them in NX1000 (so, very old, not even tizen based).

They all work.

I hoped they would work faster, but no such luck. Also tried formatting to ext3 and various other FSs (ext2/3/4, f2fs, etc) but not recognized by camera.

Also, very much doubt one can damage SD card by formatting it "wrongly". SD cards are FS agnostic, you can format them to whatever you want, even gang them together in RAID if you wish (it works with mdadm). Some utilities will even warn you that the flash media does not support TRIM operation.

otto k's gear list:otto k's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Samsung NX1000 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED +6 more
Waltersmatthews Regular Member • Posts: 307

As mentioned, you can format 32 GB cards to accept the larger files and there should not be a problem. Good work on finding this and posting on it. Hirsti, thank you.

Waltersmatthews's gear list:Waltersmatthews's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Pentax 645D Nikon D800E Nikon D7100 Nikon D5300 +4 more
austin law New Member • Posts: 12

Is there any overheating issues with the NX500? Could a new file be started

immediately after taping a 30 minute clip? I am seriously interested in the

NX500 for its 4k capabilities. Thank you in advance.

Waltersmatthews wrote:

As mentioned, you can format 32 GB cards to accept the larger files and there should not be a problem. Good work on finding this and posting on it. Hirsti, thank you.

Thanks everyone for the info.

I have formatted my 32GB SD card to exFAT and can confirm that it works and that the NX1 now has 29:59 in all video modes.

zavdiel1 New Member • Posts: 1

thank you very much fot this very importent info.

zavdiel1's gear list:zavdiel1's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung NX500 Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Rokinon 8mm F2.8 UMC Aspherical Fisheye +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads