Micro fine tuning the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens

Started Feb 24, 2015 | Discussions
tektrader Senior Member • Posts: 1,768
Micro fine tuning the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens

I finally got around to doing some of this today.

The plan was to measure the corrections needed using the MFA adjustment on the D800 tabulate them then write them in one go to the lens using the dock. Apparently there is a 2:1 multiplier comparing the Sigma dock MFA settings to the Nikon settings. IE: 1 unit on the Nikon is 2 units on the SiGMA dock.

So an MFA reading of +5 from the camera means you have to write +10 in the sigma dock.

How did it go ?? FANTASTIC is how. I compiled the table using the Nikon Camera values, doubled them and wrote the table to the SIGMA dock.

A recheck showed the lens is now within +/- 1 unit of zero MFA. A great result...............

I am very pleased. Its way sharper now than before.

tektrader's gear list:tektrader's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more
Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
StillLearning
StillLearning Veteran Member • Posts: 4,417
Re: Micro fine tuning the Sigma 150-600 Sport lens

Considering this lens along with the Nikon 80-400.  I noticed some complaints on the Nikon sucking dust that settles on the inside front element.  I live in a dusty environment so this is a concern.  Have you noticed anything like this on your Sigma?  Hopefully the weather sealing makes it more resistant.

Also could you publish your Dock settings for your lens?

StillLearning's gear list:StillLearning's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +11 more
OP tektrader Senior Member • Posts: 1,768

I haven't really used it outside yet so no dust reports ATM. But I have an airshow this weekend so we shall see.

I still have a few focal lengths to write in the table, will post a list as soon as I am finished

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 200-400mm f/4G ED-IF VR Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Fisheye-Nikkor 16mm f/2.8D Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 +1 more

Here are my fine tune results, I need to recheck the 150mm results as I did them first inside the house. I rechecked the 0 result, its accurate. remember these are double the d800 fine tune numbers. so I now have 0 mft in th camera at all focal lengths and distances

StillLearning

tektrader wrote:

Here are my fine tune results, I need to recheck the 150mm results as I did them first inside the house. I rechecked the 0 result, its accurate. remember these are double the d800 fine tune numbers. so I now have 0 mft in th camera at all focal lengths and distances

So what is the max setting you can have in the Dock for focus?  I notice you have a couple +20 which are like +10 in the Nikon camera.  Since Nikon goes +20 or -20 does that mean in the Sigma Dock you can go from +40 to -40 only?  Can you go beyond those limits?

Max number in the dock is +20. Which I spose is +10 in Nikon mft. I imagine you could do a mix of both if it was way out.

The +20 number should have been +22 in the dock. I figured 2 units out made almost no difference so set it for +20.

It

StillLearning

tektrader wrote:

Max number in the dock is +20. Which I spose is +10 in Nikon mft. I imagine you could do a mix of both if it was way out.

The +20 number should have been +22 in the dock. I figured 2 units out made almost no difference so set it for +20.

It

Which means you would reduce all the other numbers by -2 so you could set the camera to +1?

+2 really doesn't make all that much difference, In fact very very little. If I was worried I would have set the camera MFT to -1 and changed the rest of the readings down 2 points.

Biggest issue I have after testing today is I believe the infinity settings may be a bit out. I have to figure out a way to adjust this without a FOCAL target as I did it at 40 metres and IMO it was barely adequate.

mohxinn Regular Member • Posts: 135

Hi,

Was just wondering did you use Focal target printed on an A4 paper? Is that useable for all focusing distances?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Mohsin

mohxinn's gear list:mohxinn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS

mohxinn wrote:

Hi,

Was just wondering did you use Focal target printed on an A4 paper? Is that useable for all focusing distances?

No you need quite a few different sizes. I had an A4 and another 24 inches square which was the maximum size of my printer. You also need to find a something in the distance which you can focus on to do infinity. Because you cant print a target big enough infinity adjustment with FOCAL.

There is a undocumented part of FOCAL which allows you to use any high contrast target such as a Free way sign etc and get Focal to work with it.

You untick "target validation" in setting. Then Focal can use ANY high contrast target to do infinity adjustment and forces the software to work in contrast mode where it looks for sharpness to adjust.

This takes longer but seems to work OK.

Will focal target on A4 paper be sufficient for Sigma 50mm 1.4 ART for the 4 different focus distances offered by the dock?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Mohsin

The 50 art focus adjustment is at 4 points, three of which are quite close and the A4 size will be fine.

The 4th is at infinity and you might need a bigger target for that. Or use the freeway signs as I explained above.

Thanks a lot for the info. Much appreciated!!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Mohsin

Hi tektrader,

Another question regarding Focal .. Did you actually measure the distance to the target or did you rely on the "Distance" shown in the "Target Setup" window when "Target Search" is checked?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Mohsin

No I used a tape measure.

Did you notice that there is an area where you measure the target width and input it into the software? That is how the software calculates the distance I believe.

I don't think it uses the distance to target info sent back from the camera as its often incorrect.

By the way I am happy these posts are helping you it makes the time and effort to post worth while.

Yes it has helped a lot. Thank you!! I won't have discovered it any other way than the hard way that the tune values are different between Nikon and Sigma dock.

Can you share how did you test infinity using a different target than provided with Focal? Can you explain the work flow or do you have some link that describes it?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Mohsin

There is a undocumented part of FOCAL which allows you to use any high contrast target such as a Free way sign etc and get Focal to work with it.

You untick "target validation" in settings. Then Focal can use ANY high contrast target to do infinity adjustment and forces the software to work in contrast mode where it looks for sharpness to adjust.

This takes longer but seems to work OK.

So find a huge high contrast target a few 100 metres away ( say a freeway sign etc) and use that to adjust the infinity settings.

DuaneJ Regular Member • Posts: 148

I've only just tuned my.150-600C and I actually used focal only for a few runs primarily to check robustness via calibration, aperture priority, and looking at lens astigmatism.  I used the dot tune method to calibrate all the focal length and focus distances supported by the dock. This helped with timeliness and infinity targeting.

DuaneJ's gear list:DuaneJ's gear list
Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM Sigma 150-600mm F5-6.3 | C +1 more
Adam2 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,854

De wayne wrote:

I've only just tuned my.150-600C and I actually used focal only for a few runs primarily to check robustness via calibration, aperture priority, and looking at lens astigmatism. I used the dot tune method to calibrate all the focal length and focus distances supported by the dock. This helped with timeliness and infinity targeting.

I apologize if this question has been asked but I haven't yet connected my lens to the dock to see what FL and distances one should develop the calibration values?  It would be interesting to know how Sigma handles the four values for a given FL - how do they create an algorithm for the intervening FL/distances?  They might not necessarily be linear?  Say for example at 150 mm at the four distances the lens/camera might reveal a +2, -10, +4, -1.  Knowing these four points how can one determine an equation which would fit the intervening distances?  Now say at the next distance the camera/lens yields a +4, 0, +2, +6.  How does it handle the intervening FL between 150 mm and that FL?  Are 16 points sufficient to provide accurate AF at all FL and distances?

There is only 4 distance values per focal length, 4 focal lengths so 16 all up.

Its not difficult to grasp, while I am sure there is some interaction, I would expect you would be cross checking as you note down values.

Is it really important to analyse how it works as long as it works?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads