RX100 (Mk1) Battery Drain/ Spontaneous switch on problem.

Started Feb 21, 2015 | Discussions
Jim Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,240
RX100 (Mk1) Battery Drain/ Spontaneous switch on problem.

I posted my experience with my DSC-RX100 (mk 1) on the Sony Community Forum and thought I'd share them with this forum in the hope that it will help others with the same problem. The thread is here:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Cybershot-Cameras/RX100-Battery-Drain/m-p/489909#M6498

As you will see, the action I took has appeared to have provided a fix (at least so far!).

Jim

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
greypixelz
greypixelz Regular Member • Posts: 163
Long story short, what fixed it? (nt)

No text.

greypixelz's gear list:greypixelz's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Sony RX100 +14 more
elliottnewcomb Forum Pro • Posts: 17,933
Re: RX100 (Mk1) Battery Drain/ Spontaneous switch on problem.

Jim Ford wrote:

I posted my experience with my DSC-RX100 (mk 1) on the Sony Community Forum and thought I'd share them with this forum in the hope that it will help others with the same problem. The thread is here:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Cybershot-Cameras/RX100-Battery-Drain/m-p/489909#M6498

As you will see, the action I took has appeared to have provided a fix (at least so far!).

Jim

based on prior threads when the camera was new, and how this removal of the back, cleaning, problem disappearing, I believe it is the

PLAY button. (or the sensor the Play Button physically hits when pressed)

One press activates the camera into picture review mode, draining the battery.

2nd press extends the lens and goes to shooting mode.

too snug cases can be a problem, too soft cases can be a problem,

and,

If the cleaning solved it, I believe what was happening was a dirty, sticky play button, that never fully backed away from it's internal sensor, so the slightest movement caused it to go to Play, review mode, and turn off after Power Shutdown, and perhaps happened randomly and repeatedly.

-- hide signature --

Elliott

elliottnewcomb's gear list:elliottnewcomb's gear list
Sony RX1R Sony RX100 III Olympus Stylus 1s Sony RX100 VI Sony Xperia XZ +1 more
johnwinnie New Member • Posts: 1

I own both the Sony RX1 and RX100 and experience a full battery drain overnight several times on my RX1.  I found the problem to be related to pressure on the shutter release when storing the camera.  When storing in my neoprene case for the RX1, the case would squeeze against the shutter release (I also added an after market larger shutter release to the camera).  Whenever I stored the camera with pressure on the shutter release, the battery would drain.  When stored in a "roomy" case with no pressure on the shutter release, I would have no problems.... even after several weeks.  I have numerous Sony batteries for these camera and they all tested good, but reacted the same way.

Conclusion: Even if the camera is in "off" position, pressure applied to the shutter release causes the camera to drain.

OP Jim Ford Senior Member • Posts: 1,240

johnwinnie wrote:

<snip>

Conclusion: Even if the camera is in "off" position, pressure applied to the shutter release causes the camera to drain.

This is not my experience or conclusion, nor many others with the same problem. My camera would spontauneoulsy switch on when placed on a table, not in a case. There's a Youtube video by another user showing this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCp1m4vz4Oc

Jim

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads