Phottix Odin compatibility issues with D700 & D750

Started Feb 20, 2015 | Discussions
AllanW Senior Member • Posts: 1,308
Phottix Odin compatibility issues with D700 & D750

Hi all,

I have been a long time user of the Phottix Odin with my D700 and D300 cameras. They have always worked flawlessly.

I recently purchased the D750 and quickly discovered that the Odin does not work with that camera.

I assumed it required a firmware update so I updated to the latest firmware from the Phottix site.

I regret doing this because my D750 still does not work and now my D700 will only fire my SB800's at full power.

In ttl mode it is in full power regardless of the flash exposure compensation. In manual mode it also only fires at full power regardless of the manual setting.

Has anyone else with the Phottix Odin/ D700 / D750 combination had this issue?

Regards
Allan

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Dave Ingraham Regular Member • Posts: 120
Re: Phottix Odin compatibility issues with D700 & D750

AllanW wrote:

I recently purchased the D750 and quickly discovered that the Odin does not work with that camera.

Regards
Allan

What is your Flash control for built-in flash (e3) set to?

EDIT: Never mind. I could have sworn I needed to set my D750 to Commander mode to get my Odin triggers to work, but I just tested it, and they seem to work just fine in other modes.

Not sure why your's aren't firing. Sorry...

Dave Ingraham's gear list:Dave Ingraham's gear list
Nikon 1 AW1 Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) +2 more
pchem Forum Member • Posts: 66

I had the same problem. Scoured the Internet for help. Found on dpreview (I think) a thread in which someone said he twisted the TCU slightly clockwise when mounted to the camera to get it to work. I ignored this until in desperation I tried it. Works all the time!

Jeff Peterson Regular Member • Posts: 195

This worked for me as well.  I was about ready to give up and saw the thread about turning the unit counterclockwise a little and it works fine now.  The contacts on the D750 must be off a little bit.

OP AllanW Senior Member • Posts: 1,308

pchem wrote:

I had the same problem. Scoured the Internet for help. Found on dpreview (I think) a thread in which someone said he twisted the TCU slightly clockwise when mounted to the camera to get it to work. I ignored this until in desperation I tried it. Works all the time!

Thanks a lot for this information. I tried it and now the Odin is firing. Unfortunately that's only half the problem.
I adjust the flash exposure compensation on the Odin but the flash stays the same power regardless. Did you have this issue at all?
I'm really starting to wish I didn't upgrade the firmware.
Thanks again for your help and message!
Allan

I believe the display on the flash remains as if in the TTL mode. I set manual mode on the TCU and the flash does behave accordingly.
--
Russ

pchem wrote:

I believe the display on the flash remains as if in the TTL mode. I set manual mode on the TCU and the flash does behave accordingly.
--
Russ

That's definitely how it is suppose to work but with mine (since the firmware update) it simply does not adjust for exposure comp.

I set my flash to standard TTL (zero compensation) and control the exposure comp from the back of the Odin. I have been doing this for a couple of years with no issues at all.

After the firmware update the Odin does not adjust up or down when I set the ttl exposure comp or if I switch to manual mode on the Odin. Same output regardless of whatever setting I have set.
This has effectively made this product useless for my needs.

Allan.
I did the firmware update as well.
All still behaves ok.
Perhaps re-update?

-- hide signature --

Russ

pchem wrote:

Allan.
All still behaves ok.
Perhaps re-update?

Ah, that's good to know Russ! I will re-update and see how it all goes.
Did you update the transmitter and receiver?
Allan

JusLookN Veteran Member • Posts: 4,352

Glad to see all this good info!  I have just received my Phottix Odin Twin set and haven't tried them out yet!  Thanks for this post!  Will be using this on the D3s and D700.

-- hide signature --

Glenn
I'm kinda partial to video, but I'm hangin!

JusLookN's gear list:JusLookN's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Nikon D3S Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony a77 II Nikon D810 +3 more
keano12
keano12 Regular Member • Posts: 487

Now I am curious as I have a D750 also. Allan did you get it going after updating again?

keano12

pchem wrote:

Do you use a D750 also? BTW have you ever tried the YN-568ex and 622N? what is the difference between that route and Odin/Mitro

For pchem............

pchem wrote:

Allan.
All still behaves ok.
Perhaps re-update?

Russ, Can you confirm your firmware version for me please?
If you press and hold the "sel" and "+" buttons at the same time the firmware version will show up.
I am on version 1.06
Thanks
Allan

keano12 wrote:

Now I am curious as I have a D750 also. Allan did you get it going after updating again?

No, not as yet. I am considering trying to re-install version 1.03 and see if that works. I am currently on version 1.06 (the latest).

UPDATE - on firmware compatibility for those interested!

I tried to re-update the version 1.06 firmware which is the latest version but the results were the same.........
The flash fires but the flash output remains the same on both the D700 and D750. This is for TTL AND for Manual mode.
I set manual mode to full power and fire. I then set manual mode to 1/128 power and fire. Exactly the same flash output.
I then installed version 1.03 firmware (erasing version 1.06) and the Odin works perfectly with both the D700 and D750.
So, **for me** it seems as if there is a bug in version 1.06.
Thanks
Allan

Re: For pchem............

Allan:

I am very sorry for the late reply.

The version is 1.06.

-- hide signature --

Russ

cornellsupreme New Member • Posts: 4

I found a fix for this issue. Someone on another fourm mentioned "depth of the hotshoe is deeper on the D750 than previous bodies" which causes the Odin to miscommunicate.

As I fix I ordered the "Pixel TF-322 Flash Hot Shoe Sync Adapter" from amazon and it fires 100% of the time. I leave screwed on to the odin and live with it.  Make sure its the model that supports i-TTL.

I don't think a firmware update will fix this issue since its more of a connection issue vs software. Hope this helps someone.

keano12

cornellsupreme wrote:

I found a fix for this issue. Someone on another fourm mentioned "depth of the hotshoe is deeper on the D750 than previous bodies" which causes the Odin to miscommunicate.

As I fix I ordered the "Pixel TF-322 Flash Hot Shoe Sync Adapter" from amazon and it fires 100% of the time. I leave screwed on to the odin and live with it. Make sure its the model that supports i-TTL.

I don't think a firmware update will fix this issue since its more of a connection issue vs software. Hope this helps someone.

I'm confused isn't putting another device onto the D750 that already is too deep. Won't attaching the Odin on top of the adapter just have the same problem?

Thanks!

cornellsupreme New Member • Posts: 4

keano12 wrote:

I'm confused isn't putting another device onto the D750 that already is too deep. Won't attaching the Odin on top of the adapter just have the same problem?

Thanks!

I'm far from an engineer but understand your point and agree.  Due to all the other issues people are having i'm assuming the connection is off by a hairline.

At the end of the day the Odin should just work but for now this is the only fix I have found.

Getspakur New Member • Posts: 1

AllanW wrote:

Hi all,

I have been a long time user of the Phottix Odin with my D700 and D300 cameras. They have always worked flawlessly.

I assumed it required a firmware update so I updated to the latest firmware from the Phottix site.

I regret doing this because my D750 still does not work and now my D700 will only fire my SB800's at full power.

In ttl mode it is in full power regardless of the flash exposure compensation. In manual mode it also only fires at full power regardless of the manual setting.

Has anyone else with the Phottix Odin/ D700 / D750 combination had this issue?

Regards
Allan

I own both the D7000 and D750.  The Phottix Odin works fine with the D7000, but doesn't seem to connect with the D750.  The reason is that the hot shoe of the D750 is deeper. So by moving the TCU back a hair or two after sliding it into the hot shoe and the tighten the lock ring you solve problem.

Regards,

Helgi

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads