LX100 self timer

Started Feb 20, 2015 | Discussions
Resoman Regular Member • Posts: 258
LX100 self timer

I can't get the self timer to work. I've found it on the second page of the camera menu but when I select one of the self timer modes and press the Menu/Set button, I get no self timer.

What am I missing?

Resoman's gear list:Resoman's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
Panasonic LX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: LX100 self timer

Resoman wrote:

I can't get the self timer to work. I've found it on the second page of the camera menu but when I select one of the self timer modes and press the Menu/Set button, I get no self timer.

What am I missing?

On the D-Pad of the camera. Below Menu/Set button. You will see the timer icon and multiple shot or drive mode

Press that button. The Drive menu appears.

Here you can quickly secret the self time, bracketing, and other modes I have not learned about yet. Just got the camera today.

axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 2,218

Resoman wrote:

I can't get the self timer to work. I've found it on the second page of the camera menu but when I select one of the self timer modes and press the Menu/Set button, I get no self timer.

What am I missing?

1. Set Timer delay in the Rec Menu

2. Set Timer On in  Drive Mode

3. Press shutter button to start.

Andrew

qj-chaser New Member • Posts: 14

I can't get it to work either - in addition pressing the icon below the menu switch on the rear which has a shutter sign on it DOESN'T bring up a quick menu selection, it simply moves the focus point down on the rear screen which is a nightmare.

I've been through every menu option several times and I seem to have set a 10 second delay in the menu but the camera fires the moment one presses the shutter.

What am I missing?

old jim
old jim Veteran Member • Posts: 4,907

Resoman wrote:

What am I missing?

The flexibility of the LX100 is amazing. So many choices There are two steps to controlling the self timer, In the shooting menue you need to select the interval, and manner in which it will shoot when selected. 2 sec; 10 sec; 10 sec + 3 pictures. Yours is obviously set to either 10 sec. or 10 sec. with 3 pictures. To control the drive, which includes the timer as well as single shot, burst etc. you press the drive button, lower position or rear wheel, and there select what mode you will be using, Single shot, burst bracket etc! If it doesn't provide you with this menue then you have probably set/assigned some other function to the wheel. I suspect there is nothing wrong with your camera. Personally, I found it necessary to get White's "Photographer's guide to the LX100" which I still refer to for functions I haven't used much I have only had to do a reset once so far and I consider myself fortunate :-)Hope this helps?

Warmest regards,

p.s. you might want to select the press/hold function in the custom menue for your IA button. If you select the hold, then it will not switch if you bump it, you need to hold it a second before it switches. Also be aware that the drive will stay in the mode you select until you select another. Don't forget to go back to single shot

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

old jim's gear list:old jim's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2
Castaway
Castaway Veteran Member • Posts: 4,888

qj-chaser wrote:

I can't get it to work either - in addition pressing the icon below the menu switch on the rear which has a shutter sign on it DOESN'T bring up a quick menu selection, it simply moves the focus point down on the rear screen which is a nightmare.

I've been through every menu option several times and I seem to have set a 10 second delay in the menu but the camera fires the moment one presses the shutter.

What am I missing?

In Custom setup menu page 3/9, Direct Area Focus, Switch to off.

You will now find that the rear wheel does not control the focus point but will work to control the other settings.

Now set Fn 1 button (page 7/9) to One area focus.

Now when taking a photograph you can quickly press Fn 1 button, bring up and adjust the position and size of the focus area. The rear wheel will the work normally to control the other settings after you have done this.

Once you have done this you will find the camera extremely quick an easy to use, enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Malcolm the Old Sea Dog
Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/oldseadog/galleries

Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
old jim

Ditto Malcolm Exactly the way my set is! It couldn't be better for me Hope the OP gives it a try?

Warmest regards

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

Castaway
Castaway Veteran Member • Posts: 4,888

old jim wrote:

Ditto Malcolm Exactly the way my set is! It couldn't be better for me Hope the OP gives it a try?

Hi Jim

Yes I knew that you had your camera set up that way, in fact I believe that you got that tip from me. And I, of course, probably got it from somebody else.

I think that people new to the camera go through the menu and see "Direct Area Focus" and decide, yes, I want that, and then switch it to on, not realizing that that feature nullifies all the other settings on the rear wheel. They are then shouting for help, which of course us kind fellows here are always ready to offer.

Not sure about the OP but I am pretty sure that the poster that I responded to had done just that.

Warmest regards

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

Best regards

-- hide signature --

Malcolm the Old Sea Dog
Galleries at http://www.pbase.com/oldseadog/galleries

Castaway's gear list:Castaway's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5400 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ30 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300
old jim

You are correct Malcolm. I hope I thanked you, because I was very confused, and couldn't figure out how I messed it up. You saved me from doing another reset Thank you! Thank you!!!!!

Warmest regards,

-- hide signature --

DP Review - Where else?
Old Jim

Shaun432x Contributing Member • Posts: 601

Great advice regarding the iA button, thank you.

I have enabled it in my settings.

Shaun432x's gear list:Shaun432x's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Sony a7 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +33 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads