Nice phone but many drawbacks

Started Feb 15, 2015 | User reviews
shulman Junior Member • Posts: 35
Nice phone but many drawbacks

I recently purchased this G3 cell and it has many good and bad features. First the good, it downloads Apps within seconds, unlike my iPhone which takes several minutes to download. As an Android, it gets Apps which the iPhone cannot accept (such as Firefox and those using Java applets). The camera has a powerful 8X zoom and has lots of free memory (32 GB) plus it accepts micro SD Cards.  The LCD screen is large 5.5". The battery can be changed easily.   Now for the negative, it uses battery life very quickly; going from 90% down to 55% in just minutes. It takes a long time to charge the battery; sometimes several hours! The power button on the rear is a nuisance and even turns-on by itself when placing the cell down to rest. The screen must be set at 100% brightness, even indoors and it cannot be seen outdoors on sunny days. Some of the keys must be touched very strongly or they do not work; this causes pain in my fingers. I do like it but I am ambivalent about it as well. It is a good-looking phone and reasonably priced.

shulman's gear list:shulman's gear list
LG G3
LG G3
5.5 screen • 13 megapixels (rear) • 2 megapixels (front)
Announced: May 27, 2014
shulman's score
Average community score
Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 29,621
Re: Nice phone but many drawbacks

shulman wrote:

I recently purchased this G3 cell and it has many good and bad features. First the good, it downloads Apps within seconds, unlike my iPhone which takes several minutes to download. As an Android, it gets Apps which the iPhone cannot accept (such as Firefox and those using Java applets). The camera has a powerful 8X zoom and has lots of free memory (32 GB) plus it accepts micro SD Cards. The LCD screen is large 5.5". The battery can be changed easily. Now for the negative, it uses battery life very quickly; going from 90% down to 55% in just minutes. It takes a long time to charge the battery; sometimes several hours! The power button on the rear is a nuisance and even turns-on by itself when placing the cell down to rest. The screen must be set at 100% brightness, even indoors and it cannot be seen outdoors on sunny days. Some of the keys must be touched very strongly or they do not work; this causes pain in my fingers. I do like it but I am ambivalent about it as well. It is a good-looking phone and reasonably priced.

- battery goes from 90% to 55% in minutes

- several hours to recharge battery

- buttons cause physical pain in your fingers

- screen cannot be seen in daylight

...and you still gave it 3 stars?  I'd have returned it after a couple days of that nonsense.

Russell Evans Forum Pro • Posts: 12,617

Mark B. wrote:

shulman wrote:

I recently purchased this G3 cell and it has many good and bad features. First the good, it downloads Apps within seconds, unlike my iPhone which takes several minutes to download. As an Android, it gets Apps which the iPhone cannot accept (such as Firefox and those using Java applets). The camera has a powerful 8X zoom and has lots of free memory (32 GB) plus it accepts micro SD Cards. The LCD screen is large 5.5". The battery can be changed easily. Now for the negative, it uses battery life very quickly; going from 90% down to 55% in just minutes. It takes a long time to charge the battery; sometimes several hours! The power button on the rear is a nuisance and even turns-on by itself when placing the cell down to rest. The screen must be set at 100% brightness, even indoors and it cannot be seen outdoors on sunny days. Some of the keys must be touched very strongly or they do not work; this causes pain in my fingers. I do like it but I am ambivalent about it as well. It is a good-looking phone and reasonably priced.

- battery goes from 90% to 55% in minutes

- several hours to recharge battery

- buttons cause physical pain in your fingers

- screen cannot be seen in daylight

...and you still gave it 3 stars? I'd have returned it after a couple days of that nonsense.

Definitely sounds broken.

Thank you
Russell

sharodo Regular Member • Posts: 117

shulman wrote:

My husband and I both have the LG G3 and have had none of these issues.  The only thing that occasionally bugs me is that sometimes I have to double tap it more than once to wake it up.

I am very satisfied with the battery life.  I usually have high 80's or even above 90% battery life at the end of the day.  Granted, I don't use it hard.  But even on the occasions that I do use it a lot, I still have over 50% life left.  As far as charging it, it is most definitely the fastest charging phone I have ever owned.  It has never taken even 2 hours to do a complete charge.  Now, I don't know how long it would take if it were fully drained.  I have had it down to 20% and still charged quickly.

It sound like you got a defective one.  At least judging by my experience with this phone.  Are you still within the return period?  If you are, I would exchange it!!!!

sharodo's gear list:sharodo's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP 70-300mm F4-5.6 Di VC USD +2 more
archangel151997 New Member • Posts: 8

Yup, agree with the others. Something is wrong with it. I have the G3, and on stock ROM it was working completely fine, never had any of the problems you mentioned. Now with the Lollipop ROM, it's a completely new phone

OP shulman Junior Member • Posts: 35

Others have agreed with my findings on other forums that the battery life is short, the phone often gets hot, it turns on by itself in my pocket,the shutter lag causes me to miss many photo ops.  The display is excellent but gets washed-out out of doors. I had the phone over 5 months so it cannot get exchanged. I m tuck with it for 3 years!

shulman's gear list:shulman's gear list
LG G3
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads