Replacing the A7x date/time battery

Started Feb 14, 2015 | Discussions
nathanhw
nathanhw Regular Member • Posts: 243
Replacing the A7x date/time battery

I find that if I charge my main battery outside the camera, in a charger, overnight, the internal date/time battery drains completely and I lost my date/time settings.

This is after the main batter has been in the camera for several days, so the internal date/time battery should have had enough time to charge fully -- and be good for longer than a few hours sans main battery (I'd think).

So two questions:

1)  Are others seeing the same behavior?  That is, if you leave the main battery out for a day, to charge it, the internal date/time battery runs down?

2)  Has anyone seen instructions about how to replace the date/time battery?  Maybe mine is just near end of life.

nathanhw's gear list:nathanhw's gear list
Sony a6500
Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Graham Best Veteran Member • Posts: 3,426
Re: Replacing the A7x date/time battery

The date/time battery isn't user servicable.

I suggest you purchase several batteries, and keep a battery in the camera at all times. I have 3 Sony batteries, and 4 Wasabi batteries. The Wasabi batteries seem to work as well as the OEM's.

Graham Best's gear list:Graham Best's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a7R Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +13 more
nathanhw
OP nathanhw Regular Member • Posts: 243

Graham Best wrote:

I suggest you purchase several batteries, and keep a battery in the camera at all times. I have 3 Sony batteries, and 4 Wasabi batteries. The Wasabi batteries seem to work as well as the OEM's.

I've got three batteries. Just never needed to be so diligent about always keeping one in the camera

Sony a6500
dave
dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

nathanhw wrote:

I find that if I charge my main battery outside the camera, in a charger, overnight, the internal date/time battery drains completely and I lost my date/time settings.

This is after the main batter has been in the camera for several days, so the internal date/time battery should have had enough time to charge fully -- and be good for longer than a few hours sans main battery (I'd think).

So two questions:

1) Are others seeing the same behavior? That is, if you leave the main battery out for a day, to charge it, the internal date/time battery runs down?

2) Has anyone seen instructions about how to replace the date/time battery? Maybe mine is just near end of life.

I left the battery out of my A7R for a few days and the date is still fine. If it is still under warranty, you should get it repaired.

-- hide signature --

Sony A7R Pentax K5ii

dave's gear list:dave's gear list
Pentax K-5 II Sony a7R II Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC +9 more
iseeu Contributing Member • Posts: 893

nathanhw wrote:

So two questions:

1) Are others seeing the same behavior? That is, if you leave the main battery out for a day, to charge it, the internal date/time battery runs down?

2) Has anyone seen instructions about how to replace the date/time battery? Maybe mine is just near end of life.

My 6 weeks old A7II even has worst internal battery life, I only take out the battery to recharge for approx. 1 hour or so and put it back and turn on the camera, I have to set the date and time again and again, really annoying, I called Sony Canada, they ask me to bring it in for service, this is ridiculous, this new camera already need service????

iseeu's gear list:iseeu's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
blue_skies
blue_skies Forum Pro • Posts: 11,838

nathanhw wrote:

So two questions:

Initially, the internal battery has to charge up. The system also does a number of checks, periodically, which draws from the main battery.

In a new camera, both happen initially, and it is best to leave a battery in the camera at all times.

Eventually, it should settle down, and you should see the battery charge depleting slowly.

Leaving the camera without a battery will eventually drain the internal battery, which means that you have to reset time & date.

The time & date question can pop up for other reasons as well, e.g. not having completed the initial setup fully. The camera will keep popping for the info, this has nothing to do with the state of the internal battery.

I leave the batteries in the cameras, for months at times, and have never seen one deplete yet.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Henry

blue_skies's gear list:blue_skies's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a7 II Sony a7R II +37 more
nathanhw

iseeu wrote:

My 6 weeks old A7II even has worst internal battery life, I only take out the battery to recharge for approx. 1 hour or so and put it back and turn on the camera, I have to set the date and time again and again, really annoying, I called Sony Canada, they ask me to bring it in for service, this is ridiculous, this new camera already need service????

I'm sorry you are seeing this on a new camera.

Probably best to get it looked at under warranty. If mine was under warranty I would do so.

If you think about it and don't mind, it would be helpful if you can post about what the resolution of the problem is for your situation.

Sony a6500
nathanhw

dave wrote:

I left the battery out of my A7R for a few days and the date is still fine. If it is still under warranty, you should get it repaired.

Alas, I have two options: Return it or live with it.

I was hoping either:

1) It is user-serviceable.

or

2) It is common (so annoying but nothing to worry about).

Returning it means going with another used A7R, which might have other trouble of course, and will cost more.

A this point, based on what others are saying, I'm now trying to decide if this glitch means there is something else going on or just this....

Sony a6500
nathanhw

Graham Best wrote:

Do you find if you leave it without a battery overnight, the internal clock battery will have drained down to the point where you need to set it, again?

Sony a6500

nathanhw wrote:

iseeu wrote:

Probably best to get it looked at under warranty. If mine was under warranty I would do so.

If you think about it and don't mind, it would be helpful if you can post about what the resolution of the problem is for your situation.

I have 2 other batteries form my A6000, today after someone posted at my thread that his original battery from A7II also has the same symptom, so I tried my older 2 batteries and they worked fine no problems at all after few tests, if you have other Sony batteries give a try, now I put my original A7II battery in the body and will not take it out for a while and see if the problem will go away and also I will charge it inside the body using the original battery that came with it.

Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +2 more
nathanhw

iseeu wrote:

nathanhw wrote:

iseeu wrote:

I have 2 other batteries form my A6000, today after someone posted at my thread that his original battery from A7II also has the same symptom, so I tried my older 2 batteries and they worked fine no problems at all after few tests, if you have other Sony batteries give a try, now I put my original A7II battery in the body and will not take it out for a while and see if the problem will go away and also I will charge it inside the body using the original battery that came with it.

Just to be clear, we are not talking about the removable battery.

We are talking about the OTHER battery, that cannot be accessed or removed by the owner, that keeps the date and time in memory.

I think you are talking about the Sony battery that you take out and charge?

Sony a6500

nathanhw wrote:

iseeu wrote:

nathanhw wrote:

iseeu wrote:

We are talking about the OTHER battery, that cannot be accessed or removed by the owner, that keeps the date and time in memory.

I am talking about the removable battery NP-FW50, this sounds weird, but I proof it already. I really don't understand what causing the problem with that battery. If you have other batteries give a try.

Graham Best Veteran Member • Posts: 3,426

nathanhw wrote:

Graham Best wrote:

Do you find if you leave it without a battery overnight, the internal clock battery will have drained down to the point where you need to set it, again?

I replace the battery with a fresh copy each time. The camera has never been without a battery for more than minutes.

Graham Best's gear list:Graham Best's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony a7R Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +13 more
nathanhw

Graham Best wrote:

nathanhw wrote:

Graham Best wrote:

I replace the battery with a fresh copy each time. The camera has never been without a battery for more than minutes.

Fair enough. I just did a test this evening and ten minutes was enough for the camera to lose the date and time.

I think  it's going back on Tuesday.

Sony a6500
nathanhw

iseeu wrote:

nathanhw wrote:

iseeu wrote:

nathanhw wrote:

iseeu wrote:

I am talking about the removable battery NP-FW50, this sounds weird, but I proof it already. I really don't understand what causing the problem with that battery. If you have other batteries give a try.

I have three of those batteries and they work fine.

I am having trouble with the non-removable one.

Sony a6500
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads