Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

Started Feb 12, 2015 | Discussions
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)
14

Restarting this since the last thread was so wildly popular.

Essentially what we are doing:

- setting up a mail redirection service (tenso)

- creating an account on amazon.co.jp and having amazon ship to tenso

- allowing tenso then to ship the goodies into our hot sweaty little palms.

Steps.

1. Create your tenso.com account. this will give you your tenso ID that you need to enter into amazon.co.jp as part of the shipping address.

- Tenso will also at some time need you to verify your ID. This is a Japan requirement, so be prepared to have your ID / proof of address scanned and ready to upload to them.

2. go to amazon.co.jp and toggle the language to English:

click on the "in English"

if at any time you want to switch back to Japanese click on the 日本語 at the end of the same area that you clicked on the "In English"

3. Add into Amazon your billing address (your credit card address), add a credit card, and also set up your tenso shipping address:

Full Name: John Smith
Zip/Postal Code: 120-0023
Prefecture: Tokyo-to
Address Line 1: 足立区千住曙町42-4
Address line 2:TSXXXXXX転送コム
Company Name:
Phone Number: 03-5739-3341

the bolded parts you have to supply yourself - the TSXXXXX is your tenso ID number that you can either retrieve when you sign into tenso or it should also be in your tenso welcome email.

for more information see here:

http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/buy/address.html#amazonjp

The most important part to get right is obviously your tenso ID .. they need to find that to know that YOUR package has arrived.

4. Order / Pre-Order.

Do this as soon as possible from Amazon.co.jp, select your credit card, addresses,etc. and confirm your order.

Amazon.co.jp may then suspend your account / order pending further verification. if so, don't panic and send them your ID, and proof of address (and top page of your CC statement) and you should be fine - when you think about it.. you are shipping with a US credit card, to a Japanese address. that by nature sounds fishy

After all that is done, and you've done your verifications with Amazon and Tenso, then you wait.

Once amazon says it's shipped (google translate your amazon emails), and tenso states the package has arrived - then you will have to notify Tenso to open the package and insert the battery into the camera.

Pay for the service fee and shipping from tenso, and then your package should ship out next day from tenso and arrive in your hands a few days later - and we expect cat pictures.

Useful information:

Tenso ID confirmation link:

https://www.tenso.com/en/member_confirm_identity?type=upload

Tenso Information on Shipping Lithium batteries

http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/contraband/lithium.html

Amazon.co.jp links to the EOS-M3

http://amzn.to/1FDFicP

Amazon.co.jp link to the EOS-M3 translated:

http://bit.ly/1F2Hugt

WHAT YOU ACTUALLY WILL GET

Is a domestic version of the EOS-M3. it will NOT have any languages on it other than Japanese and English.  Nor will you be able to flash or later upgrade the firmware to include any other languages.

Since Japan uses the standard two prong plug as does NA, the battery charger will work fine.

Oohrah Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

Great tutorial. Thanks. I'm certain it will be well received.

Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Question

Do we need to tell them to insert the battery into the camera?

OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
Re: Question

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

Do we need to tell them to insert the battery into the camera?

yes if you want the camera and the battery at the same time. regardless they must open the package.

http://www.tenso.com/en/guide/contraband/lithium.html

Electrical devices with detachable Lithium batteries
・・・Please send us a request to open the goods, and insert the lithium battery to the device. Or we can ship the lithium battery by itself via a different shipping services (not EMS)!

Tonkotsu Ramen
Tonkotsu Ramen Senior Member • Posts: 2,380
Re: Question

It's confusing because the first line says:

"Products with internal rechargable lithium batteries, or with a detachable battery included in the box
・・・We are able to ship these items via EMS. Please check the shipping rates here. "

I will email them later to clarify.

OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
Re: Question

Tonkotsu Ramen wrote:

It's confusing because the first line says:

"Products with internal rechargable lithium batteries, or with a detachable battery included in the box
・・・We are able to ship these items via EMS. Please check the shipping rates here. "

I will email them later to clarify.

how is that confusing?

the lithium battery is detachable and included in the box.

John TF Senior Member • Posts: 1,359
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)
2

This whole process has introduced a large number of us to the advantages of purchasing on Amazon.co.jp, and taught us how to do it - all thanks to rrcad for that. Now our eyes have been opened. Our knowledge and confidence have grown. We will undoubtedly consider this avenue for future purchases as well. I know I will.

What was Canon USA thinking? They have forced their enthusiasts to learn how to bypass them by purchasing direct from Japan at Japan prices. Not a good move.

-- hide signature --

John TF

 John TF's gear list:John TF's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +3 more
Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,224
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

John TF wrote:

What was Canon USA thinking? They have forced their enthusiasts to learn how to bypass them by purchasing direct from Japan at Japan prices. Not a good move.

I don't know what Canon was thinking. I follow this thread and the other thread (on setting up accounts at Tenso and Amazon.jp), but I personally think hard about returning and repair service.

If the M3 is a "must have" for you, and you can easily spend about $900 plus time on it, regardless, then by all means...

It boils down to "spending A to buy B," and I'm rather amused by the emotions involved. It's not like your livelihood is threatened in any way.

Typical first-world problem.

o_23 Contributing Member • Posts: 775
What good did you find?

Canon PowerShot G7 X in US - $699 + tax $62.04 = $761.04

on Amazon.co.jp - $477 + shipping $20.43 = 497.43

I don't like colors from this camera though.

 o_23's gear list:o_23's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +10 more
Oohrah Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

Kaso wrote:

John TF wrote:

What was Canon USA thinking? They have forced their enthusiasts to learn how to bypass them by purchasing direct from Japan at Japan prices. Not a good move.

I don't know what Canon was thinking. I follow this thread and the other thread (on setting up accounts at Tenso and Amazon.jp), but I personally think hard about returning and repair service.

If the M3 is a "must have" for you, and you can easily spend about $900 plus time on it, regardless, then by all means...

It boils down to "spending A to buy B," and I'm rather amused by the emotions involved. It's not like your livelihood is threatened in any way.

Typical first-world problem.

From Amazon Jp, the Eos M3 is $489 US. That includes the body and EVF.

It's a great avenue to get something they want at a considerable savings.

Not understanding why you consider that a problem.

vanwhitecap Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)
1

Following this thread I've become extremely tempted to get an M3 from Japan to upgrade from my M, which, regardless of its limitations, I like very much. However, being in Canada like rrccad, I wonder if most of the savings would vanish. For example, I can get an EF-M 11-22 in Canada for C$400 plus GST for a total of about C$450. Amazon Japan sells it for Y 39202 = US$ 329 plus, say, US$ 20 for shipping. This would be equivalent to C$437, which after the customs duty would bring its cost to C$490. Can any of the other Canadians in this thread tell me if I am wrong with my calculations?

Jim Scarff Regular Member • Posts: 318
Extra batteries for the M3 from Japan?
1

Thanks for this helpful thread and alerting me to Tenso's restrictive policy on shipping lithium batteries.

I knew the LP-17 battery in the M3 differs from the battery in the M, and assumed (wrongly!) that if the M3 would not be available in the U.S., the batteries for the M3 would not be either. So, I added 3 extra batteries to my order at Amazon.co.jp.

However, the M3's LP-17 battery is also being used in the new Rebel T6, which will be available in the U.S. and so I assume one can order the batteries from U.S. vendors. A quick search on Amazon shows it available from one vendor for $75. The price from Aamzon.co.jp was around $44 per battery.

I guess I should go back and try to modify my order from Amazon.co.jp to delete the extra batteries. I guess my other choice is to have Tenso ship those separately, but I fear that charge will more than offset the price increase of buying them from a U.S.  vendor.

As for the relatively few photos/battery charge for the M3, this appears to be a function of the LCD screen. The DPreview first impression of the Rebel Ts wrote:

As you might expect, the T6s and T6i use the same battery. Using the new LP-E17 lithium-ion battery you can take 440 shots (CIPA) per charge while using the optical viewfinder.

If you're using live view full-time then expect just 180 shots per charge.

 Jim Scarff's gear list:Jim Scarff's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS M3 Canon EOS 80D +12 more
nobuchika Regular Member • Posts: 220
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

Thanks! Pre-ordered the M3 with EVF. Should be a nice update to my original M.

 nobuchika's gear list:nobuchika's gear list
Canon EOS M5 Samyang 50mm F1.2 Canon EOS M Canon EOS M3 Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +4 more
Mr Grinch Contributing Member • Posts: 645
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)
2

Thanks for the update, but I think it's prudent to wait for an independent review before ordering from anywhere, much less a source with suspect ability to rectify issues if the camera turns out to be dodgy.

-- hide signature --

"Remember, it's the camera, not the photographer..."

Steelergeek69
Steelergeek69 Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

does the email arrive right away? just finished doing tenso.com and its 6:30 pm California time.

thanks,

Steelergeek69
Steelergeek69 Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

there is a good 8 minute review on youtube buts it in italian,

why in all the reviews they don't fire it up? to see how fast the AF is?

Oohrah Contributing Member • Posts: 730
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

Steelergeek69 wrote:

does the email arrive right away? just finished doing tenso.com and its 6:30 pm California time.

thanks,

I signed up yesterday evening and still haven't received an email.

OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

Oohrah wrote:

Steelergeek69 wrote:

does the email arrive right away? just finished doing tenso.com and its 6:30 pm California time.

thanks,

I signed up yesterday evening and still haven't received an email.

did you check your junk email?

you signed up and that should have set you up with your login and password - you can alternatively log onto tenso.com and get your info that way.

OP (unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

vanwhitecap wrote:

Following this thread I've become extremely tempted to get an M3 from Japan to upgrade from my M, which, regardless of its limitations, I like very much. However, being in Canada like rrccad, I wonder if most of the savings would vanish. For example, I can get an EF-M 11-22 in Canada for C$400 plus GST for a total of about C$450. Amazon Japan sells it for Y 39202 = US$ 329 plus, say, US$ 20 for shipping. This would be equivalent to C$437, which after the customs duty would bring its cost to C$490. Can any of the other Canadians in this thread tell me if I am wrong with my calculations?

58120 Yen = 610 CAD.

right now yes, the place to purchase if you can (lenses,etc ) is from Canada. right now. on ANYTHING from Canon - as Canon Canada hasn't yet yanked the rates up.

the Canadian beaver buck is diving big time

a 5d mark III from Canada is 2550 right now, a 100-400L II is 1900, a 7D mark II is 1520 USD

Steelergeek69
Steelergeek69 Regular Member • Posts: 270
Re: Ordering from Japan (Part Deux)

i just placed my order and got like 3 email from amazon japan but all in Japanese ,now what?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads