best half case for Sony A7II ?

Started Feb 11, 2015 | Discussions
Marc9999 Forum Member • Posts: 61
best half case for Sony A7II ?

i just got the A7II, now i need a half case for protect this jewel, for what i see the A7 case doesn't fit since A7II is ticker and with grip, i want really a good leather case, top quality (not Chinese) that give to the camera a vintage look

thanx  to all

Tom Paull
Tom Paull Regular Member • Posts: 327
Re: best half case for Sony A7II ?

Check the Gariz half case, have for my A6000 and Nex-7, their the best half case. Here is the web site for your Sony A7II Gariz half case

http://www.amazon.com/Gariz-Genuine-Leather-XS-CHA7IIBK-Camera/dp/B00S0NCW50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423692501&sr=8-3&keywords=Sony+A7II+half+case--

Amazon and ebay

Tom

Tom Paull's gear list:Tom Paull's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Sony a6300 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS +4 more
WalkaboutSean
WalkaboutSean Regular Member • Posts: 384

This Italian leather case has a nice vintage look. http://amzn.to/1Ad3cx8

WalkaboutSean's gear list:WalkaboutSean's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-3 +19 more
nikonson Regular Member • Posts: 367

After I bought the Sony case, I found out that it did not turn heads.

So I've been saving $1 a day for 400 days for two of these.

Angelo-Pelle

One half case for odd day, the other half for even day so my days are full.

Sony A7 case

Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,075

Marc9999 wrote:

i just got the A7II, now i need a half case for protect this jewel, for what i see the A7 case doesn't fit since A7II is ticker and with grip, i want really a good leather case, top quality (not Chinese) that give to the camera a vintage look

thanx to all

Sorry, but having just spent 2 weeks in Hong Kong, "top quality (not Chinese)" is an oxymoron. Gariz cases are top quality!

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a7 III
pixelpushing
pixelpushing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229

WalkaboutSean wrote:

This Italian leather case has a nice vintage look. http://amzn.to/1Ad3cx8

That's really expensive. I used to get leather half cases for my NX100, NX200 and NX300 and paid a fraction of that (from I suspect the same Korean vendors, or similar).

Sadly, it seems the case makers are sticking it to the A7 crowd because it's a 'premium' model. I can only find one other case of this type that isn't over $60.

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
WalkaboutSean
WalkaboutSean Regular Member • Posts: 384

pixelpushing wrote:

WalkaboutSean wrote:

This Italian leather case has a nice vintage look. http://amzn.to/1Ad3cx8

That's really expensive. I used to get leather half cases for my NX100, NX200 and NX300 and paid a fraction of that (from I suspect the same Korean vendors, or similar).

Sadly, it seems the case makers are sticking it to the A7 crowd because it's a 'premium' model. I can only find one other case of this type that isn't over $60.

True. I paid about much less for a nice leather half case for my NEX-6.

The A7ii is still so new, there is not much choice at the moment. I suspect prices will fall as more competition enters the market.

WalkaboutSean's gear list:WalkaboutSean's gear list
Sony RX100 II Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha NEX-3 +19 more
OP Marc9999 Forum Member • Posts: 61

Gariz case look too much "industrial product", i want something they look really handmade

also it leave the camera almost naked, i don't see any reason to spend money and leave the camera unprotected

thanx for link of angelo pelle cases, they look gorgeous

nikonson wrote:

So I've been saving $1 a day for 400 days for two of these.

Angelo-Pelle

One half case for odd day, the other half for even day so my days are full.

Sony A7 case

Brian_Smith wrote:

Marc9999 wrote:

thanx to all

Sorry, but having just spent 2 weeks in Hong Kong, "top quality (not Chinese)" is an oxymoron. Gariz cases are top quality!

for what i see Gariz is not chinese anyway, i m sure that they are top quality but they remind me the book of walter benjamin "the work of art in the age of mechanical reproduction", or better to say a mass industrial product

i was 3 times in hong kong and in china  (for almost 2 months in totaly so i also know on what i m talking

anyway i don't see the leather in this gariz case, if not just few centimeters

docvale Regular Member • Posts: 215

1. Most of the leather half-cases are from Korea.

2. I own a Gariz for my NEX-5N, and I love the texture of the leather and how that improves the handling.

3. Gariz cases are not that vintage looking though. If you want vintage, the brands that I know are Luigi's LeicaTime, Angelo Pelle and JnK/Arte di Mano. Up to now, only Angelo has a case compatible with the A7II, but I expect the other 2 coming with something too. Angelo's case blocks the tilting screen and might compromise the access to come buttons, so just keep that in mind.

4. The shape of the grip of the A7II does not favor a very covering design for a half-case. For example, I don't like that the Gariz stands short along the grip. At that point, no case looks better to me.

5. I think, for the level of the product, that Sony should offer the A7II with a more premium leatherette finish, and not just on the grip area.

docvale's gear list:docvale's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS +3 more
Stflbn Veteran Member • Posts: 3,549

I always have the grip on my A7 and A7ii so I'm not an expert,  but I've always thought adding a Leather half case to a camera screams even louder "here's a vain person with something nice you should steal"

-- hide signature --

Sony A7ii
Sony 55 FE 1.8 | 24-70 FE F4 | 70-200G FE F4 | 70-400G ~ LA-EA4
Rokinon 14mm 2.8 | Kiron 105 Macro
Helios 40-2 | Tair 11a | Helios 44-4 | Min MC 50 1.4
http://stufflebeanphotography.com

Stflbn's gear list:Stflbn's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 V Sony a7R II Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +2 more
rponiarski
rponiarski Regular Member • Posts: 369

Tom Paull wrote:

Check the Gariz half case, have for my A6000 and Nex-7, their the best half case. Here is the web site for your Sony A7II Gariz half case

http://www.amazon.com/Gariz-Genuine-Leather-XS-CHA7IIBK-Camera/dp/B00S0NCW50/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1423692501&sr=8-3&keywords=Sony+A7II+half+case--

Amazon and ebay

Tom

+1 with the Gariz case. I have mine and also a leather Gariz strap/ Top quality and looks real nice. I also like the fact it has a nice metal base and screws on tight, with a separate tripod socket.

-- hide signature --

Richard M. Poniarski
Not a speaker for anyone but myself.
"Everyone is entitled to the reality of their own choice"

rponiarski's gear list:rponiarski's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +1 more
vett93
vett93 Senior Member • Posts: 4,407

That company is Korean. Its website's first language is Chinese. Go figure:

http://www.seoulsale.com/?r=en&c=16&uid=472

vett93's gear list:vett93's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a9 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Sony a6500
dshola01 New Member • Posts: 6

If you are looking for a vintage look half case , I guess the KAZA A7II vintage brown leather case will bring you interest. You may visit their online store to see all the details of it.  kaza-deluxe.com

pixelpushing
pixelpushing Veteran Member • Posts: 3,229

I think this deserves a bump, because apart from the ones without battery pass-through (no thanks, my A7 had one like that and it was a huge PITA) and those with obviously cheap production quality, what is there in the $50-ish range? Not a lot. Gariz looks nice, as do some of the others listed here, but $99+ for a very small bit of PU or real leather is just too much.

Oddly, Amazon is really lacking half cases, as is eBay. Initially everyone was saying the A7II was too new, but that's not really the case (ha) anymore, so what's the deal? Is the more frequent product cycle causing Chinese/Korean/Etc. case makers to ratchet up the prices and reduce selection, or what?

pixelpushing's gear list:pixelpushing's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Sony a7 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apple iPad Air
picsnapr New Member • Posts: 18

nikonson wrote:

So I've been saving a day for 400 days for two of these.

Angelo-Pelle

Ahh these handmade leather ones look cool from the front, but disappointing at the back side, as it restricts the articulated LCD shut... Why would one want to use it, that doesn't allow to tilt the screen?

picsnapr's gear list:picsnapr's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon PowerShot S120 +7 more
picsnapr New Member • Posts: 18

docvale wrote:

4. The shape of the grip of the A7II does not favor a very covering design for a half-case. For example, I don't like that the Gariz stands short along the grip. At that point, no case looks better to me.

Well, as per the Sony design, the case needs to keep the IR sensor on the grip, open.

picsnapr's gear list:picsnapr's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Voigtlander 12mm F5.6 Ultra Wide Heliar Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Canon PowerShot S120 +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads