Canon 70D + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM | A, indoor photo issue

Started Feb 11, 2015 | Questions
Woodbird New Member • Posts: 7
Canon 70D + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM | A, indoor photo issue

I have just bought a Canon 70D and also a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art. They feel great but I have just one problem when shooting in door. I am so new to photography that I don't even know how to describe it. However, I attached a photo below.

Looking closely, one can see that the center area is noticeable darker and there seems to be ring of light in the photo. This is shot with f/1.4, Aperture priority mode. Everything else are kept in default (auto WB etc). I tried with or without the hood. It is shoot at night with indoor lighting.

Is this an issue with the lens, or camera, or is it supposed to be so due to the setting? When shooting at f/2.0 or smaller, it goes away. Below is another one which may highlight the issue better.

Many thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 70D Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Kvenna Contributing Member • Posts: 661
Re: Canon 70D + Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM | A, indoor photo issue

I don't remember seeing anything like this before.  Do you have a filter on the lens?

-- hide signature --

Chris

beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,030

Woodbird wrote:

I have just bought a Canon 70D and also a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 DC HSM Art. They feel great but I have just one problem when shooting in door. I am so new to photography that I don't even know how to describe it. However, I attached a photo below.

Looking closely, one can see that the center area is noticeable darker and there seems to be ring of light in the photo. This is shot with f/1.4, Aperture priority mode. Everything else are kept in default (auto WB etc). I tried with or without the hood. It is shoot at night with indoor lighting.

Is this an issue with the lens, or camera, or is it supposed to be so due to the setting? When shooting at f/2.0 or smaller, it goes away. Below is another one which may highlight the issue better.

Many thanks in advance.

increase your shutter speed

many indoor lights pulse at 1/60 or different frequencies and these can cause problems. also 1/40 is too slow for hand held without IS image stabilization

Sigma 30mm 1.4  non-art  indoors

Canon 60d

Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,264

I'd say that this is the effect of the room lighting and subsequent reflections in the lens.

Zapirian
Zapirian Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

Check for lens shading adjustment/compensation in any lens adjustment or correction menu in the camera. I saw something identical to this recently in the Sony E-mount forum. It was basically the camera incorrectly applying correction for the lens resulting in the same donut type effect on the output image. Try turning lens compensation/correction settings off totally and see if it removes the donut. Sorry, don't know the exact terms/menus for Canon cameras. Hope this helps

Zapirian's gear list:Zapirian's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +12 more
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748

As others have said, it could be vignette control being applied when not needed. Turn it off, whatever it's called in the menus.

It also could be caused by a poor quality filter of some sort. If someone sold you a UV or other similar protective filter, take it off and toss it away. See if that helps.

Good luck and take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile - f/22 Club Member
I reserve the right to make mistakes in reasoning and logic as well as to change my mind anytime I wish. I also ask forbearance with respect to my typos. Please take a look at my gallery here at DPR.

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
OP Woodbird New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks for the reply. As the last two posts said, it was indeed because the camera incorrectly applied lens correction.

Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748

Woodbird wrote:

Thanks for the reply. As the last two posts said, it was indeed because the camera incorrectly applied lens correction.

Thank you for letting us know you were successful and what worked. When you do this, it helps others in the future by identifying what worked and might also work for them.

Have a great week. 

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile - f/22 Club Member
I reserve the right to make mistakes in reasoning and logic as well as to change my mind anytime I wish. I also ask forbearance with respect to my typos. Please take a look at my gallery here at DPR.

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
beagle1 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,030

Woodbird wrote:

good that nothing's wrong with the lens

Pyrate Dave New Member • Posts: 5

Guidenet wrote:

Woodbird wrote:

Thank you for letting us know you were successful and what worked. When you do this, it helps others in the future by identifying what worked and might also work for them.

Have a great week.

As a new member and beginner, I find it incredibly helpful when the OP posts their solution/cause of issue.

Pyrate Dave's gear list:Pyrate Dave's gear list
Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads