Adding microphone input Samsung NX500

Started Feb 7, 2015 | Discussions
smileallways New Member • Posts: 12
Adding microphone input Samsung NX500

Hi Camera gurus,

What are the quickest option to add external microphone to Samsung NX500?

Fibinaci
Fibinaci Regular Member • Posts: 127
Re: Adding microphone input Samsung NX500

Samsung sells an addon mic unit, the em10, it plugs in the hotshoe and has a headphone out port for monitoring. B+H usually has them in stock.

Fibinaci's gear list:Fibinaci's gear list
Olympus E-PL7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ Panasonic Lumix G 25mm F1.7 ASPH
jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,661

I have been seeking one for three months, no luck.  Powers from hotshoe & includes a headphone jack..a great setup but hard to find for some reason?

-- hide signature --

Jim near Kelso: PK + NX user - - http://granitix.blogspot.com
former Alpha and mic43 user

jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
YI M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS
Raw Jaw
Raw Jaw Senior Member • Posts: 2,662

Fibinaci wrote:

Samsung sells an addon mic unit, the em10, it plugs in the hotshoe and has a headphone out port for monitoring. B+H usually has them in stock.

Hi,

The mic you mentioned is no longer available at the big retailers.

I did try to buy one but could not find it.

Its only a guess, but I think Samsung may have run into a patent issue/conflict with the EM10. They are very quiet about the EM10.

Just today, I purchased a Flash Recording Mic which I intend to use on my NX500 when it ships.

In the meantime I will use it on my NX300. I mention it on another thread but do not want to restate it here for fear that I'd come off as a salesman even before I get it to test it out.

Jimplosive Junior Member • Posts: 26

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

Just a novice here, but for what it's worth, I looked in vain for the EM-10 to pair with my nx300, and finally settled on just using a Rode iXY on my iPhone. Occasionally I'll mount the phone/recorder on a hot shoe bracket and put it on the camera, but I generally just position it close to the subject. I typically use it for recording documentary/interview style segments. Obviously not the same as having it record audio straight to your video file, but it's the best I've been able to figure out.

I'd be interested in hearing how you more knowledgeable people go about this (apart from buying a camera with a proper audio port...)

Jimplosive's gear list:Jimplosive's gear list
Samsung NX300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +1 more
OP smileallways New Member • Posts: 12

Raw Jaw wrote:

Fibinaci wrote:

Hi,

The mic you mentioned is no longer available at the big retailers.

I did try to buy one but could not find it.

Its only a guess, but I think Samsung may have run into a patent issue/conflict with the EM10. They are very quiet about the EM10.

Just today, I purchased a Flash Recording Mic which I intend to use on my NX500 when it ships.

In the meantime I will use it on my NX300. I mention it on another thread but do not want to restate it here for fear that I'd come off as a salesman even before I get it to test it out.

Thanks for the responses.   I have a follow up question. If you use a flash recording mic or other external audio device, How easy is to add and synchronize external audio track to a video clip?  I see it in Final cut pro tutorials that it may be as easy as drag and drop. Is that correct? please confirm.

Thanks,

Vasu

ttbek Veteran Member • Posts: 4,838

Almost.  The recordings may not have been started at exactly the same time though.  What you want to do is zoom into the sound and video time things so you're seeing a very short time and line up the waveform with a corresponding action in the video that is sharp enough to obviously be matching.  This was the original purpose of the clapper thing you see in the Hollywood sets that also had the scene number or whatever on it.  They would line up the waveform with the image of that fully closing.  And easy replacement for this is to just clap once with your hands on camera.  If doing this isn't practical for your shooting, then just dragging the clips around a bit and testing the playback a few times will be enough to get it right, the clap just makes it easy to get right on try number one.

ttbek's gear list:ttbek's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more

Jimplosive wrote:

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

Just a novice here, but for what it's worth, I looked in vain for the EM-10 to pair with my nx300, and finally settled on just using a Rode iXY on my iPhone. Occasionally I'll mount the phone/recorder on a hot shoe bracket and put it on the camera, but I generally just position it close to the subject. I typically use it for recording documentary/interview style segments. Obviously not the same as having it record audio straight to your video file, but it's the best I've been able to figure out.

I'd be interested in hearing how you more knowledgeable people go about this (apart from buying a camera with a proper audio port...)

External recording is usually higher quality anyway. I'm not as sure in the case of an iPhone though. There are some mics with internal recording, I think Max Yuryev recommended one from Shure near the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPyN5U75ZU  I'm not rewatching it at the moment so I'm not sure if he said it had a monitoring port or not.

Otherwise you would get a dedicated audio recorder that could support a few more audio inputs and definitely has the monitoring port.

Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon EOS 5D Samsung NX300 Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Samsung NX30 +37 more
Auster Pilot Senior Member • Posts: 1,198

Fibinaci wrote:

Unless the specs/manual for the NX500 specifically states the EM-10 works with the NX500 I would assume it does not function with it.

I have an EM-10 that I use with my NX1100 (documented as supported) but it does NOT work with my NX3000 - and the documentation makes no reference to it.

Neither the NX1 ot NX30 support the EM-10 but do support a standard 3.5mm External Microphone connection so my guess would be either that the NX500 will have a standard 3.5mm port or not support any directly connected microphone.

I suggest checking as soon as the Manual becomes available to download (not on the US site yet)

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/EV-NX500ZBMIUS

-- hide signature --

Neil....
The Sky is a Beautiful Place

Auster Pilot's gear list:Auster Pilot's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS70 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-30 +2 more
Jimplosive Junior Member • Posts: 26

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

Just a novice here, but for what it's worth, I looked in vain for the EM-10 to pair with my nx300, and finally settled on just using a Rode iXY on my iPhone. Occasionally I'll mount the phone/recorder on a hot shoe bracket and put it on the camera, but I generally just position it close to the subject. I typically use it for recording documentary/interview style segments. Obviously not the same as having it record audio straight to your video file, but it's the best I've been able to figure out.

External recording is usually higher quality anyway. I'm not as sure in the case of an iPhone though. There are some mics with internal recording, I think Max Yuryev recommended one from Shure near the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPyN5U75ZU I'm not rewatching it at the moment so I'm not sure if he said it had a monitoring port or not.

Otherwise you would get a dedicated audio recorder that could support a few more audio inputs and definitely has the monitoring port.

The Rode iXY is 24-bit/96k using an external mic attached via lightning port to an iPhone. Excellent sound quality, plus I can manipulate, name, and send my files through the network.

Jimplosive's gear list:Jimplosive's gear list
Samsung NX300 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samyang 12mm F2 NCS CS +1 more

Jimplosive wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

External recording is usually higher quality anyway. I'm not as sure in the case of an iPhone though. There are some mics with internal recording, I think Max Yuryev recommended one from Shure near the end of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gPyN5U75ZU I'm not rewatching it at the moment so I'm not sure if he said it had a monitoring port or not.

The Rode iXY is 24-bit/96k using an external mic attached via lightning port to an iPhone. Excellent sound quality, plus I can manipulate, name, and send my files through the network.

Ah, I see Rode has a special app for it.  I was gonna say, Apple is usually not great about sound things if left to their own devices.  Sounds like a good solution.

Raw Jaw

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

Ah, I see Rode has a special app for it. I was gonna say, Apple is usually not great about sound things if left to their own devices. Sounds like a good solution.

Sounds good...but... we are discussing the NX500 which has no mic input port.

Raw Jaw wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

Ah, I see Rode has a special app for it. I was gonna say, Apple is usually not great about sound things if left to their own devices. Sounds like a good solution.

So where is the problem?  We're advocating external sound recording as the workaround for exactly that reason, which will be combine with the video in post.  Some external recording options we've mentioned include, saved sound file directly in the mic, saved to a dedicated sound recorder that the mic is connected to, and saved to an iPhone that has a mic connected to it.  None of those need the NX500 to have a mic input port.

Raw Jaw

ttbek wrote:

Raw Jaw wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

ttbek wrote:

Jimplosive wrote:

smileallways wrote:

Hi Camera gurus,

So where is the problem?

My understanding. I was not thinking of the iPhone as a recorder. Guess its my Android 'roots'.

We're advocating external sound recording as the workaround for exactly that reason, which will be combine with the video in post. Some external recording options we've mentioned include, saved sound file directly in the mic, saved to a dedicated sound recorder that the mic is connected to, and saved to an iPhone that has a mic connected to it. None of those need the NX500 to have a mic input port.

Randy Veeman Contributing Member • Posts: 799
Cheap external recoder

For the price of a good microphone you can often find an external mic and recorder.   Ever see those clap/chalk boards they use at the start of filming scenes?  Clap or make a loud noise to help sync up audio when editing.

Randy Veeman's gear list:Randy Veeman's gear list
Samsung NX1 Samsung 16-50mm F2.0-2.8 Samsung 50-150mm F2.8 S
flip 21
flip 21 Senior Member • Posts: 1,249
Re: Cheap external recoder

- No Internal Mic (I wonder is it so expensive to add a mic input?);

- No 120 fps recording;

- 4k Crop video;

Nahhh! This camera isn't for me. I'm gonna wait for Sony A7000. Thank you!

Samsung NX500 could have been a hit ...

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

120fps could be there, also in nx1 they were not explicitly declared.

But I agree on most. And add the tiny buffer as well.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
flip 21

not having a mic input is a huge drawback for this camera. In fact, this is the only reason I'm not buying this camera. Even smaller cameras have mic inputs.

This was the main reason for me not tu buy the Panasonic LX100, nor the A6000.

This is nonsense.... Is is it realy so expensive to add a MIC Input? Don't you think this is an excuse to justify that.. "well we can do the same camera for half the price.. but since we don't want the NX1 owners to be angry with us, we gonna do some changes in the NX500 cameras. "...

Even the Panasonic Fz1000 has mic input, and 96fps vídeo.

I'm gonna wait for the A7000 or the A5....

tecnoworld
tecnoworld Veteran Member • Posts: 7,208

That's of course the only reason. Samsung works like that. Nx300 had the same hw than nx30, but they never implemented evf pro, with raw shooting and manual modes. That was just to differentiate it from the more expensive nx30.

tecnoworld's gear list:tecnoworld's gear list
Samsung TL500 Samsung NX100 Samsung NX200 Samsung NX300 Samsung NX1 +15 more
flip 21

Stupid Camera

Do you think the Sony A7000 gonna bring everyting we didn't got with these last cameras from Panasonic, and Samsung, and even a Fullframe sensor? Do you think the A5 is a myth?

It seems like every cheap camera has it's own drwaback, or drawbacks.. I was so happy with the flip out LCD...

I really need to buy a new camera... and the cheaper it is the best...

Samsung could have been flawless...

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads