Venus 60mm 2:1 macro lens sample images

Started Feb 2, 2015 | Discussions
orionmystery
orionmystery Senior Member • Posts: 2,056
Venus 60mm 2:1 macro lens sample images

I managed to take the Venus 60mm 2X macro lens out for a test a couple of nights ago. Probably not a great idea to use a fully manual lens with no auto stop-down for the first time in the dark!!!

Since the lens has to be stopped down to F11 (my aperture setting) when focusing, the viewfinder is very very dark. I use a Fenix E11 flashlight/torchlight for focusing light (shoot through diffuser). But a lot of the times, I had to use my bigger bug hunting flashlight/torchlight to help me focus better.

Most were taken at F11, 1/200, ISO200 with a 70D, and lit with a single 270EX and concave diffuser. Mostly less than 1:1 unless otherwise stated.

Less than 1:1

2:1.

I also managed to compare the Venus 60mm to Tamron 60 and MP-E65 at 1:1, and to the MP-E65 at 2:1

1:1, Full res images of this image and that from the Tamron 60 and MP-E65 on my Flickr .

Venus 60 at 2X. Full Res of this image and MP-E65 at 2X on my Flickr .

From all the raw images posted on Venus, there's no doubt that the IQ is as good as any other macro lenses, if not better. I really have to get used to focusing with dark viewfinder though. My existing focusing light system is just not good enough. More work needed on that.

fulvio51
fulvio51 Senior Member • Posts: 2,014
Re: Venus 60mm 2:1 macro lens sample images

Very interesting results, Kurt! Your uropygi courtship pic is great.

-- hide signature --

Fulvio

fulvio51's gear list:fulvio51's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX7V Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
orionmystery
OP orionmystery Senior Member • Posts: 2,056

fulvio51 wrote:

Very interesting results, Kurt! Your uropygi courtship pic is great.

Thanks, Fulvio. I've been waiting to see mating Uropygi or feeding individual for ages!

SteB
SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,535
An excellent set of test images

First of all Kurt, this is a great set of images in it's own right, let alone as a set of test images. I think these are some of the best sample images I've ever seen. They told me straight away what this lens was capable of for real macro photography, and in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. Maybe the manufacturers should send all their equipment to you for testing, instead of the rubbish samples we have to put up with from the so called professional reviewers. Thanks for your work testing this very interesting lens.

_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,033

A very nice test!

orionmystery wrote:

I managed to take the Venus 60mm 2X macro lens out for a test a couple of nights ago. Probably not a great idea to use a fully manual lens with no auto stop-down for the first time in the dark!!!

Since the lens has to be stopped down to F11 (my aperture setting) when focusing, the viewfinder is very very dark. I use a Fenix E11 flashlight/torchlight for focusing light (shoot through diffuser). But a lot of the times, I had to use my bigger bug hunting flashlight/torchlight to help me focus better.

Then this isn't so much different than a reversed prime on a variable extension tube

SteB
SteB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,535

_sem_ wrote:

Then this isn't so much different than a reversed prime on a variable extension tube

How many reversed primes on an a variable extension tube can focus from near infinity to to 2:1 continuously?

WilbaW
WilbaW Forum Pro • Posts: 11,599

orionmystery wrote:

Since the lens has to be stopped down to F11 (my aperture setting) when focusing, the viewfinder is very very dark.

Wouldn't it be nice if they put a DOF-preview button on the lens?

Or maybe better, a "wide-open" button...

WilbaW's gear list:WilbaW's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 7D Mark II
orionmystery
Re: An excellent set of test images

SteB wrote:

First of all Kurt, this is a great set of images in it's own right, let alone as a set of test images. I think these are some of the best sample images I've ever seen. They told me straight away what this lens was capable of for real macro photography, and in the hands of someone that knows what they are doing. Maybe the manufacturers should send all their equipment to you for testing, instead of the rubbish samples we have to put up with from the so called professional reviewers. Thanks for your work testing this very interesting lens.

Thank you, Stephen. There's not a single doubt that Venus 60's IQ is on par with any other macro lenses I've used before. I do, however, still need to get myself a much brighter focusing light. At present, I am using a Fenix E11 flashlight/torchlight (shooting through diffuser)for focusing. Good enough for my 60mm F2.0 macro lens, but totally inadequate for Venus 60 at F11. Most of the times, I had to use my bigger Fenix E25 to shine directly on the subject to aid focusing. When shooting at lower magnification, I did point the E25 away before pressing the shuttle so as not to affect the exposure.

orionmystery

_sem_ wrote:

A very nice test!

orionmystery wrote:

Thanks.

I think as soon as you put any lens, front on or reversed on extension tubes, you'll lose the infinity focus. The main selling point of the Venus 60 is the ability to achieve 2:1 magnification without needing any add-on, yet retaining the ability of infinity focus, and anything in between.

starjedi Forum Member • Posts: 99

Nice... Very attemping...  My tokina 90mm 2.5 only goes to 1:2

orionmystery

WilbaW wrote:

orionmystery wrote:

Since the lens has to be stopped down to F11 (my aperture setting) when focusing, the viewfinder is very very dark.

You don't need a DOF preview button, it's already at F11 (or any other aperture of your choice).

If you're on a tripod though, you can always focus at F2.8, then dial the aperture ring to F11 (your choice) before taking the pic.

But yes, automatic diaphragm will be great to have.

orionmystery

starjedi wrote:

Nice... Very attemping... My tokina 90mm 2.5 only goes to 1:2

Thank you. Oh, 1:2 is really not good enough unless you're doing night macro in Malaysia, where all the night crawlies are huge!

John K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,649

Well done on the test images Kurt. That manual diaphragm is the only weakness of the lens -I can't see myself using it when I'm normally at F16.

-- hide signature --

Also known as Dalantech
My Book: http://nocroppingzone.blogspot.com/2010/01/extreme-macro-art-of-patience.html
My Blog: http://www.nocroppingzone.com
My gallery: http://www.johnkimbler.com
Macro Tutorials: http://dalantech.deviantart.com/gallery/4122501/Tutorials
Always minimal post processing and no cropping -unless you count the viewfinder...

orionmystery

John K wrote:

Well done on the test images Kurt. That manual diaphragm is the only weakness of the lens -I can't see myself using it when I'm normally at F16.

Thanks, John. At F16, you'll need much brighter focusing light!

Admittedly, besides dim viewfinder, I also faced the challenge of placing the plane of focus accurately now that focusing is done with actual DOF visible, rather than wide-open DOF.

Not sure if you know what I mean?

WilbaW

orionmystery wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

orionmystery wrote:

You don't need a DOF preview button, it's already at F11 (or any other aperture of your choice).

Obviously, but if you had one on the lens you could focus wide open then stop down the aperture for the exposure by pressing the button rather than by turning the aperture ring... set the aperture with the ring, focus, hold the DOF preview button, full-press the shutter.

A "wide-open" button would do the opposite, open the aperture all the way for focussing... set the aperture with the ring, hold the wide-open button, focus, release the wide-open button, full-press the shutter.

Peterski Senior Member • Posts: 1,409

Great shots Kurt. I know what you mean about shooting with a manual lens stopped down. I'm currently using a Nikon 24mm reversed on extension tubes stopped down to F11. The image is dark but not so bad when I can get a bit of light on the subject to assist in focussing. F16 is just impossible though. Next adventure is with the Canon 60mm macro on tubes. I never realised I could use this lens on a 5DII until I read one of John K's posts saying it works well with auto tubes. At least I can then view the subject with the lens wide open.

cheers,

peter

-- hide signature --
 Peterski's gear list:Peterski's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 40D Canon EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
orionmystery

WilbaW wrote:

Obviously, but if you had one on the lens you could focus wide open then stop down the aperture for the exposure by pressing the button rather than by turning the aperture ring... set the aperture with the ring, focus, hold the DOF preview button, full-press the shutter.

A "wide-open" button would do the opposite, open the aperture all the way for focussing... set the aperture with the ring, hold the wide-open button, focus, release the wide-open button, full-press the shutter.

Not sure if you are aware that most modern macro lenses are wide open (mostly F2.8) until you press the shutter?

orionmystery

Peterski wrote:

Great shots Kurt. I know what you mean about shooting with a manual lens stopped down. I'm currently using a Nikon 24mm reversed on extension tubes stopped down to F11. The image is dark but not so bad when I can get a bit of light on the subject to assist in focussing. F16 is just impossible though. Next adventure is with the Canon 60mm macro on tubes. I never realised I could use this lens on a 5DII until I read one of John K's posts saying it works well with auto tubes. At least I can then view the subject with the lens wide open.

cheers,

peter

Thanks, Peter. What do you use as focusing light when shooting with the lens stopped down? As mentioned, I use a Fenix E11 but it's really inadequate. I need something brighter.

_sem_ Veteran Member • Posts: 5,033

orionmystery wrote:

Thanks, Peter. What do you use as focusing light when shooting with the lens stopped down? As mentioned, I use a Fenix E11 but it's really inadequate. I need something brighter.

I've got a bag of 14500 cheapos like Ultrafire C3 or Akoray K106 from dx, declared around 200lm.

Also an 18650 Ultrafire WF-502B, 900lm - surely much brighter, but unconveniently bigger and heavier for such use, and runs quite hot at max power (most such flashlights have bigger heads).

Check candlepowerforums.

WilbaW

orionmystery wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

Not sure if you are aware that most modern macro lenses are wide open (mostly F2.8) until you press the shutter?

But not the Venus 60mm 2:1, the lens I believe you were referring to when you said -

If there were a DOF preview button on that lens, the aperture could be wide open for focussing. You would set the aperture value with the ring, focus wide open, then hold the DOF preview button to close the iris for the exposure and full-press the shutter button.

Ever seen a Pentax-K mount lens? It has a bar on the back that protrudes into the mount. When the shutter button gets fully pressed, the camera pushes the bar to stop down the iris before the shutter opens, then releases it after the shutter closes. In the case of my whimsical idea, the photographer would press a button on the side of the lens instead of the camera pushing on a bar on the back of the lens.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads