Sony a77II or Sony a7II Which would you have and why?

Started Jan 28, 2015 | Discussions
raypra2 New Member • Posts: 11
Sony a77II or Sony a7II Which would you have and why?

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide between these 2 cameras. I had a Sony a580 for a few years, but someone decided they needed it, all my lens, and flash units more than I did. They broke into my van and relieved me of all said items while I was stopped and in a store.

So now I am starting over. I am not dedicated to one style of photography. Meaning I will shoot various things day or night. I am just a hobbyist. No professional here. I will have to acquire lens and all. I am not stuck on just these two options (Sony a77II / Sony a7II) but these are within my price range. Ok, maybe over my price range a little.

I know the basic specs of these two, APS-C / Full Frame, E-mount / A-mount, Mirrorless / Translucent Mirror. When all is said and done its about the image quality. I know there is a weight difference as well. To some people that is a big item. I am 50... something. Right now it is no big deal.

I am asking anyone's opinion. Especially the one's that have used these 2 cameras, what differences between these make a huge difference in choosing one over the other. What should I expect good or bad out of these 2 choices.

Thanks

Raymond

raypra2's gear list:raypra2's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580
Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
66836 Regular Member • Posts: 175
Re: Sony a77II or Sony a7II Which would you have and why?

If you require fast AF or continuous tracking I would recommend the A77ii, with a constant Phase Detect AF module.

The on sensor Phase Detect AF of the A7ii just can't quite compare.

The 5-axis IBIS of the A7ii does sound interesting.

-- hide signature --

Sony a77ii | 16-50mm f2.8 | 55-300mm f4.5-5.6 | 35mm f1.8 | Minolta 50mm f1.7 | Lensbaby composer pro 50mm double glass optic | HVL-F43M | Metz 64 AF-1

https://www.flickr.com/photos/125675370@N06/

Douglas F Watt Veteran Member • Posts: 3,784

raypra2 wrote:

Hey everyone,

I am trying to decide between these 2 cameras. I had a Sony a580 for a few years, but someone decided they needed it, all my lens, and flash units more than I did. They broke into my van and relieved me of all said items while I was stopped and in a store.

So now I am starting over. I am not dedicated to one style of photography. Meaning I will shoot various things day or night. I am just a hobbyist. No professional here. I will have to acquire lens and all. I am not stuck on just these two options (Sony a77II / Sony a7II) but these are within my price range. Ok, maybe over my price range a little.

I know the basic specs of these two, APS-C / Full Frame, E-mount / A-mount, Mirrorless / Translucent Mirror. When all is said and done its about the image quality. I know there is a weight difference as well. To some people that is a big item. I am 50... something. Right now it is no big deal.

I am asking anyone's opinion. Especially the one's that have used these 2 cameras, what differences between these make a huge difference in choosing one over the other. What should I expect good or bad out of these 2 choices.

Thanks

Raymond

I have not used the A7ii, but I have used the RX1, which was the spiritual parent for the whole alpha7 family. Obviously, the A7 has evolved from the RX1, now with five axis IBIS, but the sensor is virtually identical except for the addition of phase detection circuitry.

Image quality of course is a paramount concern for most of us, but the question is what kind of images you think you want to collect? I understand that you are not dedicated to one style of photography, but do you have a stronger interest in a particular area?

If you want a camera that is exceptionally well-rounded, in other words, where you can shoot sports, wildlife, portraits, landscapes, I would go with the A77II, simply because it has a way better lens ecology as you get out into serious telephoto, and its phase detection autofocus is substantially ahead of the A7ii.

If on the other hand, you're mostly into landscapes, cityscapes and portraits, the advantages of full frame, both in terms of dynamic range, color bit depth, and high ISO suggest the A7ii might be the better choice. I certainly wouldn't try to do much sport shooting right now with a mirrorless camera as you're going to be disappointed in your keeper rate. Also, there are no native lenses in the e-mount system past 200 mm, and throwing an adapter on the A7ii is going to further deteriorate its autofocus performance, at least in terms of the available options currently, although Sony might come out with an improved adapter that features the A 77ii AF module. Even with an adapter that might have the new PDAF system from the A77ii, addition of that to the A7ii is essentially going to obviate any weight advantage to a mirrorless system.

Long story short, for a broad range of uses, the A 77ii might be the better choice, unless you're going to shoot mostly landscapes, portraiture, cityscapes, etc.

All that being said, either camera has impressive functionality, and might make you happy either way.

DFW

Douglas F Watt's gear list:Douglas F Watt's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony RX100 V Sony a77 II Sony a99 II +16 more
JimmyMelbourne Senior Member • Posts: 2,470

Get both

JimmyMelbourne's gear list:JimmyMelbourne's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A300 Sony SLT-A77 Sony SLT-A37 NEX-5T Sony a7 +20 more
OP raypra2 New Member • Posts: 11

Hey.. you might be on to something.. ohh but wait.. rather have one camera and more lens than 2 cameras and only 2 lens... decisions, decisions....

raypra2's gear list:raypra2's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A580
Edward Sargent
Edward Sargent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,693

I have no interest in the A7II. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike it, it is just that it took several years to build up my current lens collection (still need 2 more) and to spend that much for an adapter to just move to the A7II does not make sense to me. I also use the A99 so carrying both E and A mount lenses would be restrictive.

If I had no significant A-Mount investment then the A7II might be my selection but I have not compared the two. Personally I would wait for the A9.

-- hide signature --

Sarge
A99| A77II| QX10
Sony 28-75mm|70-200mm G|70-300mm G|70-400mm G
Minolta 35-70mm|50mm|200mm G|1.4 & 2X TC
Tamron 90mm|150-600mm|1.4XTC|2xTC
Bower 8mm & 14mm
Albums at www.sony-snapper.com

Edward Sargent's gear list:Edward Sargent's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-QX10 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a77 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +33 more
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 10,517

Currently, it seems that the systems are are targeted or at least more functionally appropriate on different sorts of subject matter.  If it were me, I'd probably go with the A77mkii.  I have an interest in nature and birds, etc., as well as general pretty much everything shooting.  At this point, for dynamic subject matter, the dslts are still ahead of the  E mount mirrorless sorts.   Budget aside, there is no reason why one couldn't go with both.   I do have a moderate dslr kit and a mirrorless NEX-6 and they fit different interests for me.  For general use, either do well.

richiemccaw Contributing Member • Posts: 993

Craig Gillette wrote:

Currently, it seems that the systems are are targeted or at least more functionally appropriate on different sorts of subject matter. If it were me, I'd probably go with the A77mkii. I have an interest in nature and birds, etc., as well as general pretty much everything shooting. At this point, for dynamic subject matter, the dslts are still ahead of the E mount mirrorless sorts. Budget aside, there is no reason why one couldn't go with both. I do have a moderate dslr kit and a mirrorless NEX-6 and they fit different interests for me. For general use, either do well.

Pretty much agree with Craig. It really depends on what you're shooting but you wont go wrong with a a77ii since that is more of an all rounded, i.e. the gap between potential IQ of a77ii vs a7ii is closer than the gap in AF systems between the two.

Better to go with the a77ii first and then if you really think the a7ii gives you the extra bit of IQ that you need, then get the a7ii later when the prices have dropped!

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon Z6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,624

I have the 77 2 and the A7-2 as well as a 99 , The 77 and the 99 get more shelf time as I love the A7-2 and have no problems locking on and tracking as the A7-2 has the same tracking Algorithms as the a6000 and it does work thru the LA-4 adapter fine , If you are only interested in BIFS the 77 will perform better but if you want an all around camera that does everything well and has IBIS Superior to even the a99  manually set to the focal length of the lens you are using .  No Limiter on the A7 though so if you are using macro lenses make sure they have a limiter or Manually focus

The A7-2 takes as good of pictures as my 99 and close in focus speed and tracks better, the 77's frame rate is much higher so you can really spray a bevy of shots and dig out some keepers the A7 or 99 will poke along at 6 fps but yield many more keepers . (for me at least)

It's really good to have both because they are so different  , If I had to choose it would be the A7-2 hands down for me.  But keep in mind you need a 350$ La-4 adapter to add to the mix to use A mount lenses , They all have the same flash shoe and you will need FF lenses too.

Strictly my findings and opinions here and what works for me could be different for you and I am pro FF .

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,530

The LA-EA4 on an A7II is not where you bought that camera for.

It puts a mirror on an a mirrorless camera

restricts functions of that camera

makes the camera a big as an A99

And is is ridiculous Sony doesn't even have good affordable lenses for the Emount, so

many owners are more or less forced to buy a $300 + adapter to use A mount lenses.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 20mm F1.8G Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +1 more
nandbytes Veteran Member • Posts: 6,075

splashy wrote:

The LA-EA4 on an A7II is not where you bought that camera for.

It puts a mirror on an a mirrorless camera

restricts functions of that camera

makes the camera a big as an A99

it doesn't actually

And is is ridiculous Sony doesn't even have good affordable lenses for the Emount, so

many owners are more or less forced to buy a $300 + adapter to use A mount lenses.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Sony a7R IV Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
SonyForNow
SonyForNow Regular Member • Posts: 359

Lensrentals.com, try both at home for few days. Yeah, it's a few hundred bucks, but the only way for YOU to make the decision.

Honestly though, why not consider Canikon (or M4/3) too? (...a-mount forum crowd suddenly brings out pitchforks.)

SonyForNow's gear list:SonyForNow's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Sony a7 Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +1 more
nandbytes Veteran Member • Posts: 6,075
I have both A7 and A77ii

If I could only one body that'd be the A7 but that's because I want a camera plus lens combination that'll fit in my pockets (with as good IQ as possible especially in low light) and A7 perfectly fits that for me.

As an overall camera if you don't might the weight and bulk, I'd say A77ii is better. I'd say its even better than A99, its possibly the best bang for buck along with Sony A6000 on e-mount.

-- hide signature --

Focus on what you have, not on what you don't.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nandbytes/

nandbytes's gear list:nandbytes's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Sony a7R IV Venus Laowa 100mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +1 more
lhkjacky Senior Member • Posts: 2,916

raypra2 wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thanks

Raymond

Depends what you want to shoot.

If you want to shoot something moving / moving fast, A77ii will be a better choice.

If you want better high ISO performance, FF is the way to go.

lhkjacky's gear list:lhkjacky's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F/5-6.3 Di VC USD Ricoh GR +6 more
Yemble Senior Member • Posts: 2,305

A-Mount would be the cheaper lens system to build, at least as the market currently stands.  Also, the larger A-Mount bodies have much better ergonomics that the E-Mount cameras, at present.  It could be argued that E-Mount has more longevity, however, the demise of A-Mount has been predicted for many, many years, without it ever actually happening!

As you are not currently invested in any particular lens system, then you are in a great position to make an informed choice.  Most of us in this forum (ie. those without money to burn) chose our road a long time ago and are pretty committed to A-Mount, so A77ii makes more sense.

However, E-Mount may be a better choice for you.  Good luck deciding

Yemble's gear list:Yemble's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 47,463

raypra2 wrote:

I own an A77ii. I like it better than the A7ii because I think it has better ergonomics, It focuses faster, has a higher burst rate, it's a lot cheaper, uses the lenses I want. The A7ii has slightly better IQ but not much better so that is not important to me.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Jim Funston Senior Member • Posts: 1,698

I'm with Sarge..... I have a Hasselblad Stellar (RX100), NEX5, NEX7, A33, A77, A77II, and a A99 each have their strengths and weaknesses and unfortunately for me none of them are great at everything. I see E mount as the future for Sony so if I was to recommend a startup system for someone it would be the E mount more than the A mount due to this. BUT, I would not leap at the A7II but wait and see what and if the A9 materializes in the near future. I may make that leap if it has fast auto focus and frame rate because I am old and a backpack full of A mount glass and accessories tends to wear me down on a long hike for a scenic (for that reason I use my NEX7 E mount system or a Sigma DP2m on a pano head for this application rather than a A mount). Time will tell and I am at the point that I am starting to re-evaluate my gear with a critical eye........ I was adding up what I could get selling almost all of it and converting to the FE system just last weekend and only keeping the a77II and the 150-600 on it for wildlife and selling everything else for a bunch of FE Zeiss glass and a top of the line body.

alextardif
alextardif Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Have both and use both, but for different purposes.  It's really apples and oranges comparo in many ways.

For perspective: I'm really a hobbyist myself, though I do commissioned work focused primarily on portraiture/headshots. The said "pro" assignments are usually done with A99 and primes, 24-70mm if I work in a studio. It's a robust and reliable system that I'm comfortable with.  Aside from that, I do a little bit of everything for pure enjoyment and learning experiences. That's where the A77M2 and the new A7M2 come into play:

A77M2 is my action cam that I bought specifically for the 24-70 and 70-400, these combos are lightning quick for my use and give me the FL I like. Robust build and good ergonomics. The body is... well, cheap, imho. I recognize that's relative, but for $900 it's very inexpensive, considering the tech it packs. It's very responsive too, just a pleasure to handle. I've shot fighter jets all day at an air show once and humming birds in my backyard the next day - A77M2 is great for that sorta thing. Still perfecting my sills with the fancy auto-tracking features.

IQ is good, not amazing: FF bodies (A99, A7 series) clearly take a step ahead there, to my eyes. That's not to say I think it's bad, but when you're used to staring at the FF output all the time side by side, you begin to appreciate it's advantages over the crop sensor.

A7M2 on the other hand is now my new travel companion with the incredible 55mm and the small-ish 70-200mm. Also a joy to use and the IQ is truly fantastic, easily same if not better than my A99. I'm also starting to use it more for my portraiture sessions and if I had the same 85/135mm primes in e-mount I would retire A99 in a blink. But, that's not likely to happen any time soon.

If I was in your situation, I'd start fresh with E-mount and build your system around it, especially since it appears to have a brighter future and that's where the development/support is right now. The near-equivalent high-end glass is cheaper vs. A-mount (compare CZ zooms and primes - they're significantly less expensive) and generally boast newer/better tech.  For an advanced hobbyist you now have almost all basis covered in zooms, and some really excellent primes already available and more on the way.  A7M2 is just a really solid camera that's very difficult to argue with.  Good luck!

-- hide signature --

Alex

alextardif's gear list:alextardif's gear list
Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +2 more
richiemccaw Contributing Member • Posts: 993

Alex - I share the same sentiments with you on several points.

One of the things holding me back from embracing the FF e-mount line-up are the lenses. It is somewhat similar to what the Nex line-up was going through a few years ago when many were complaining about the lack of lens variety in the e-mount system. At the moment almost everything seems to have a Zeiss label stuck to it and cost 50% more than something that doesnt have such a label on it.

I get that Sony is trying to move position itself at the higher end of the market with the FF e-mount system so I'd wait to see how far used prices will drop in the future, and whether there are normal lenses such as the 28-70. I am not too much of a pixel peeper so I dont mind paying less for a non-outtathisworld lens!

In fact I am extremely happy with the output I'm getting from the DT 35mm f1.8 on my a77ii. Amazing AF, face recognition and images! Given the prices I got them for, really really happy camper I am.

richiemccaw's gear list:richiemccaw's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Nikon Z6 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +8 more
Basil K Regular Member • Posts: 116

I just faced this decision myself, here are some factors to think about:

Purpose: what do you plan to use the camera to photograph? Are you interested in sports photography or wildlife photography? Are you looking to do baby portraits, or wedding photography? Are you interested in street photography?

Lens Selection & Cost: the A77ii body is about $900 less right now than the A7ii, (that said, camera bodies depreciate rapidly, but good lenses hold their value). The lens selection for A-mount lenses is larger (lots of good ones), and generally cheaper. The selection of FE mount lenses for the A7ii is much narrower, and while many of those lenses are quite good, they are all very pricey!

On the other hand, if you have a collection of old Leica, Contax-Zeiss, or Canon lenses - then the A7ii is more attractive because you can use old lenses on mirrorless bodies, with an adapter. Generally, you lose AF when you use non-native/adapted lenses (there are some exceptions to that rule), but the A7ii has excellent focus peaking to help with manual focus. The in-body stabilization is also a real advantage.

They are both great cameras. For me, it was a tough decision. I have a real fondness for mirrorless cameras, owning and having owned several of them myself (I still have a Sony NEX-5r). However, I've gone into wildlife photography, and I just could not get a long enough telephoto lens for a mirrorless body, and DSLR's (DSLT in Sony's case) have a real advantage in AF speed and accuracy. There is really no right answer, it's just a matter of what is right for you.

Basil K's gear list:Basil K's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads