Anyone use the Commlite EF to E mount adapter?

Started Jan 18, 2015 | Discussions
nora73 New Member • Posts: 11
Anyone use the Commlite EF to E mount adapter?

It supports auto focus and its only $92 on Amazon. I haven't gotten an A7R yet, but I plan to in the spring. The Metabones IV is rather expensive though for what would seem like a rather simple adapter.

Anyone use the Commlite? If so what are your experiences? Does it attach to the lens and camera body smoothly and snuggly? Or in a GRINDING way that could be damaging to the lens or camera mount? I've seen videos of some of the other adapters where people are STRAINING just to twist it onto the lens...

From what I heard elsewhere internal reflections seemed to lower contrast at larger apertures… but im not sure if Metabones IV would be any better. Some have used flat black touchup paint on the inside of the adapter and have said this helps some.

If this adapter would work fairly well it would be a major selling point for me since its only $92 and I could then use my Canon 17-40 f/4 and 70-200 f/4 lenses on it.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,509
Re: Anyone use the Commlite EF to E mount adapter?

nora73 wrote:

It supports auto focus and its only $92 on Amazon. I haven't gotten an A7R yet, but I plan to in the spring. The Metabones IV is rather expensive though for what would seem like a rather simple adapter.

Anyone use the Commlite? If so what are your experiences? Does it attach to the lens and camera body smoothly and snuggly? Or in a GRINDING way that could be damaging to the lens or camera mount? I've seen videos of some of the other adapters where people are STRAINING just to twist it onto the lens...

From what I heard elsewhere internal reflections seemed to lower contrast at larger apertures… but im not sure if Metabones IV would be any better. Some have used flat black touchup paint on the inside of the adapter and have said this helps some.

If this adapter would work fairly well it would be a major selling point for me since its only $92 and I could then use my Canon 17-40 f/4 and 70-200 f/4 lenses on it.

Got a Commlite recently as I have a few EF lenses and wanted more than just the Metabones IV.

Last night I realised the Commlite does not even mount to my A7s for some reason but works fine on my A7.

The Commlite is the wrong colour too (cream coloured for mine ugghh).

It does work well on the A7 ......I particularly wanted a cheap EF adapter to use with my 24 3.5 L TS-E ii......a manual focus lens doesn't need an AF adapter but having AF would just be nice when using an AF lens.

Just means I have to stick with the Metabones with the A7s for now.....I will try another adapter soon I think.

We really need a full list of what is available for EF mount and to update it as new things come along.

aodi
aodi Senior Member • Posts: 1,678

I use it with a6000 and Canon EF lens. Works fine, autofocus slow though and I mostly use MF.

-- hide signature --

Anatoli

CalBoy87
CalBoy87 Contributing Member • Posts: 991

I used it before on 5D3 with few EF primes. It worked very well, AF slow, but that was expected. Only minus of this adapter for me was the flimsy tripod mount, my was wobbly and I wouldn't recommend to use it at all. Other that that, it works as good as any other.

Brian_Smith
Brian_Smith Veteran Member • Posts: 3,387

In that price range I'd strongly recommend the Viltrox adapter listed here.

Brian_Smith's gear list:Brian_Smith's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +4 more
KG1952 New Member • Posts: 17

I'm using it on an A7II and haven't experienced any problems.  The fit is snug, but no different than the Sony 55 f/1.8 lens or the Voigtlander close focus adapter.  Focus is so-so with a Canon macro but aperture control works fine.  I haven't noticed any problems with reflections as someone else has mentioned, but haven't had the chance for extensive shooting.

Overall, I'm happy with it so far.  I do think the Metabones are way overpriced.

mcslsk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,252

Commlite lite and EF 70-200/4L. No problems on a7 and a6000. Tripod mount solid enough.

mcslsk's gear list:mcslsk's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a6500 Sony a7R III Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM +54 more
Canasonic Forum Member • Posts: 79

I have the conmlite FE adapter for my A6000 and it works well wide open but at smaller apertures there is a click as if it sets the aperture just prior to shutter release and then reopens the aperture. The adapter works with my Sigma 30 f/1.4 and my Canon 55-250 but cannot control aperture on my Sigma 17-50 f/2.8. It also cannot power the stabilization in the Sigma 17-50 which is disappointing. I haven't tried the adapter with my Canon 50 f/1.8 but is suspect it will work fine. As others have said, focusing is like Canon live view focus in older rebel bodies in decent light. Focus fails in low light and I generally use manual focus because its fast an accurate with peaking enabled.

Canasonic's gear list:Canasonic's gear list
Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Sony a6000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +17 more
Zapirian
Zapirian Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

Sorry to be your proof reader again for your site Brian...

"allows you to limit focus so that only the eyes pop out of an otherwise soft, dreamy image. Only the eyes pop out of an otherwise soft, dreamy image."

Repeated the "eyes pop out of an otherwise soft, dreamy image" line

Zapirian's gear list:Zapirian's gear list
Sony a7 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +12 more
outofmyelement
outofmyelement Forum Member • Posts: 93

I have the Commlite and have Canon 24-120 F4 and 70-200 F4 IS lenses and also a 50mm 1.8II for testing.  They work function fine, though I prefer to manual focus because it is so easy and quick vs AF.  I basically enjoy the EXIF and electronic aperture control.

As for internal reflections here is what I have on my A7S:

right of light or reflection

Hood or no hood makes no difference. I have cupped my hand around the edges where the hood would be and sometimes that helps.

This shows up more on the 70-200 but it is present on my other lenses as well and I can basically rotate the camera around and watch for the reflections depending on how light is hitting it.

Would these be reflections off the sensor or off the internal adapter or both? If I was able to fix this easily man would I be happy. Anyone else get this?  I use zooms so rarely I would rather just adapt these canon lenses I already have vs buy the expensive sony ones to sit around.

I guess I could give up electronic aperture control and EXIF info and get another adapter that doesn't reflect light or cause issues as I would like to use these lenses.

outofmyelement's gear list:outofmyelement's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +5 more
SQLGuy
SQLGuy Forum Pro • Posts: 10,369

neil holmes wrote:

Last night I realised the Commlite does not even mount to my A7s for some reason but works fine on my A7.

I recently swapped my A7 to the stainless steel A7S mount. After installing that, one of my E/FD adapters didn't mount at all, and another was very tight. The kit lens and other adapters I had were fine. I found that the problem was that the part of the adapter that fits down into the mount was too short. I undercut the lip on the woudn't-mount-at-all one to make it fit properly.

Seems plastic mounts are more tolerant of imprecisely-made adapters. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same issue with the Commlite.

-- hide signature --

A7 with kit lens and a number of legacy lenses (mostly Canon FD); A3000 converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro +24 more

SQLGuy wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

Seems plastic mounts are more tolerant of imprecisely-made adapters. I wouldn't be surprised if you have the same issue with the Commlite.

Yes that may well be the case.

The other thing that I have found doesn't work with the A7 is my M4/3 to E mount adapter(s).

Means I can not use my Oly Bodycap lens on the A7s but no issue on the A7.....a fun lens that makes a VERY small camera/lens combination but nothing serious.

Mind you, the M4/3 -E mount adapters are imprecise both ways as I cant mount my M4/3 Nikon mount focal reducer on it either......(no great loss as it is a Light Cannon ...failed poor focal reducer now sold ...or given away...as a soft focus adapter).

Update

neil holmes wrote:

SQLGuy wrote:

neil holmes wrote:

Yes that may well be the case.

The other thing that I have found doesn't work with the A7 is my M4/3 to E mount adapter(s).

Means I can not use my Oly Bodycap lens on the A7s but no issue on the A7.....a fun lens that makes a VERY small camera/lens combination but nothing serious.

Mind you, the M4/3 -E mount adapters are imprecise both ways as I cant mount my M4/3 Nikon mount focal reducer on it either......(no great loss as it is a Light Cannon ...failed poor focal reducer now sold ...or given away...as a soft focus adapter).

Another fail for the Commlite.

It mounts to my A7 but with my old 100-300 5.6 L micro motor lens, while it seems like it will work, after an initial run through the range it stops and doesn't autofocus......the Metabones IV does.

Guess I need to try all my AF Canon lenses again on both adapters.

And edit....

A pass.....

The commlite DOES work with the little and cheap 50 1.8ii that the Metabones IV doesn't!.......works quite well too with the A7!

Chris Cabjuan New Member • Posts: 2

I've been using this adapter for some time now with my a6000 and my more recent Sony A7.

What I have been noticing is that on my Canon 85mm f1.8 I cannot shoot at f1.8. The on camera display shows my aperture at f2.0 being the lowest.

This also occurs with the Canon 100mm f2.8 Macro, the lowest aperture being f2.8 is not possible if set to different magnifications ex. 1:1 = f5.6 1:5 = f4. Anyone else noticing some weird happenings with other lenses?

Boykinally Regular Member • Posts: 241

I don't have any experience with the Commlite with my A7r that I recently bought. I bought a Fotodiox pro ($100)  fit was perfect but if there is a strong light to the side or back lite there is bad ghosting/flare. I bought this camera to use with my 17 & 24 tse  mk II and a 45 tse..Flare was less with my 24-70 II.  It seem fine with the sun to your back or even lighting on interiors. I returned it and bought the Metabones IV. Out of the box the flare was much less but still there so I bought Edmunds Optics flocking paper and installed it and it's 98% perfect! If you go with the Metabones IV and want to flock the adapter, pm me and I can send you a template to do that.

Boykinally's gear list:Boykinally's gear list
Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 11-24mm F4L Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.4 ZA Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +6 more
Richard Ettinger Senior Member • Posts: 1,331

nora73 wrote:

i've been using this on my a7 and a7ii for some time now. works fine. no mounting issues.

recommended

Richard Ettinger's gear list:Richard Ettinger's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Leica Elmarit-M 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +7 more
GimmeHd Contributing Member • Posts: 647

I bought one and returned it because it was too tight to insert on the lens. I was afraid I may damage the lens with too much force needed to connect it to the lens. It does work very well with most of my Canon primes lenses (24, 28, 35, 50, and 85).

bigley Ling Veteran Member • Posts: 4,490

good to know. The metabones smart adapter iv, also mounts well as long as you power off the camera before mounting and dismounting EF lenses as well as the adapter.

bigley Ling's gear list:bigley Ling's gear list
Apple iPhone X
Viewr Forum Member • Posts: 95

mcslsk wrote:

Commlite lite and EF 70-200/4L. No problems on a7 and a6000. Tripod mount solid enough.

I'm getting a lack of contrast with my 70-200/4L when paired with the commlite and a7 and a6000.  Are you getting the same?

On my EOS, the contrast is better.  So, I'm wondering is it the adapter or sensor, or both?

Viewr's gear list:Viewr's gear list
Sony a7 Sony a6000 Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS
Chris Cabjuan New Member • Posts: 2

Another would be when shooting continuous photos I notice my canon 50mm f1.4 jumps to f1.8 after a few photos.

Has anyone noticed any other quirks or issues?

Other than that everything else works really well I'm very happy with my purchase.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads