AF: Sony A7s or A7II?

Started Dec 22, 2014 | Discussions
Viramati Senior Member • Posts: 1,342
Re: AF: Sony A7s or A7II?

straylightrun wrote:

ArtAlt wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

Thanks for your feed back. What about the internal reflection issue in the night shots with the light source in the frame? Does it always happen or there is a way to bypass the issue?

My understanding is that A7II is considerably less prone to sensor reflections as compared to the original A7 (small bright lights at night) -- I've seen several comparisons that seem to confirm that.

Is the A7II shutter quieter than the original A7?

They are essentially the same. Both a little noisy and noticeable.

I'm afraid I have to disagree having owned the a7 and now having the A7s and A7II there is a marked difference in tone which makes mkII seem quieter. In fact I have tried firing the shutter of these 2 alongside my leica M and the sound is now a lot more akin to the Leica but just slightly louder. In essence I would say the mkII shutter is better damped

Viramati's gear list:Viramati's gear list
Sony RX100 III Leica Q Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +5 more
davidbea Forum Member • Posts: 90

Thank you David for the information regarding the Sony A7RII's shutter sound I'm considering getting one with a prime and am currently shooting a Pentax K-5SII which has a week damped shutter but only an APC sensor. I want something compact and like to shoot with primes.

Are the photographs in your zenportfolio shot with the Sony? Beautiful photographs and evidencing tonal and sharpness characteristics that I'm looking for.

David

Viramati wrote:

straylightrun wrote:

ArtAlt wrote:

turnstyle wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

Thanks for your feed back. What about the internal reflection issue in the night shots with the light source in the frame? Does it always happen or there is a way to bypass the issue?

My understanding is that A7II is considerably less prone to sensor reflections as compared to the original A7 (small bright lights at night) -- I've seen several comparisons that seem to confirm that.

Is the A7II shutter quieter than the original A7?

They are essentially the same. Both a little noisy and noticeable.

I'm afraid I have to disagree having owned the a7 and now having the A7s and A7II there is a marked difference in tone which makes mkII seem quieter. In fact I have tried firing the shutter of these 2 alongside my leica M and the sound is now a lot more akin to the Leica but just slightly louder. In essence I would say the mkII shutter is better damped

davidbea's gear list:davidbea's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 5000 Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus OM-D E-M10 Pentax K-1 +12 more
bwana4swahili
bwana4swahili Contributing Member • Posts: 784

GetUp wrote:

Ok, I'm ready for my first ff Sony im even already bought FE 55/1.8. But what body, A7S or A7II?

I am particularly interested in AF performance in normal light, which camera lock focus and focuses faster? Not continuous mode, just plain single.

A7R(esolution)

A7S(ensitvity)

A7 & A7 II Middle of road, general usage

bwa

bwana4swahili's gear list:bwana4swahili's gear list
Olympus Tough TG-2 Sony RX10 III Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS 400D Sony a7S +84 more
ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: The best grip to avoid lens mount stress

Nordstjernen wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

Is it comfortable to hold if I pair the A7II with a heavy lens like the Zeiss 135mm f1.8?

Keep the left hand UNDER the lens, with the thump pointing away from you. Do this always, no matter small or large lenses. Then you can perfectly can balance any camera, and you also get a much sturdier support, allowing slower shutter speeds.

And tuck in your elbows and hold your breath when you shoot. 

I learned this all at a young age and it is completely automatic now.

(Kind of wishing I had learned the piano .... )

ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
Nordstjernen
Nordstjernen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,876
refined camera technique

ArtAlt wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

Is it comfortable to hold if I pair the A7II with a heavy lens like the Zeiss 135mm f1.8?

Keep the left hand UNDER the lens, with the thump pointing away from you. Do this always, no matter small or large lenses. Then you can perfectly can balance any camera, and you also get a much sturdier support, allowing slower shutter speeds.

Albows close to the body, excelllent, but I have from hunters that the body is most relaxed when you are breathing slowly out! Works great. Might be worth trying both techniques.

Also look for extra support if needed, like a tree, a wall, a rock, or anything that can help you keep the camera even steadier that just good handheld technique.

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7
ArtAlt
ArtAlt Senior Member • Posts: 1,939
Re: refined camera technique

Nordstjernen wrote:

ArtAlt wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

Albows close to the body, excelllent, but I have from hunters that the body is most relaxed when you are breathing slowly out! Works great. Might be worth trying both techniques.

Also look for extra support if needed, like a tree, a wall, a rock, or anything that can help you keep the camera even steadier that just good handheld technique.

Excellent ideas, thanks.  Slow exhale - I will give that a try today.

ArtAlt's gear list:ArtAlt's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Sony a7 III Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
NumberOne Veteran Member • Posts: 4,049

Nordstjernen wrote:

ArtAlt wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

...Add to all that - when possible - squeezing the shutter button instead of violently pushing it down...

( It works for hunters, too... )

All the best,
Pedro

NumberOne's gear list:NumberOne's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS Zeiss Batis 18mm F2.8 +13 more
Vinylly Contributing Member • Posts: 800

You may want to watch Steve Huff's video of the A7s and the A7II to help you make a decision:

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/12/27/the-sony-a7ii-real-world-camera-review-my-camera-of-the-year-2014/

Nordstjernen
Nordstjernen Veteran Member • Posts: 6,876

NumberOne wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

ArtAlt wrote:

Nordstjernen wrote:

helltormentor wrote:

...Add to all that - when possible - squeezing the shutter button instead of violently pushing it down...

Sure! A very helpful advice, also when not "shooting" birds/wild animals, often forgotten by many, I think!  

Nordstjernen's gear list:Nordstjernen's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a7
tvnewsbadge Senior Member • Posts: 1,173

They sorta have different purposes, IMO.

I bought the a7s primarily for low light video work last year.
Taking delivery of the A711 tomorrow for general purpose EDC and dayside video work if necessary along with the ability to take higher res stills should I need crop mode
I may be disappointed but I am expecting AF to be substantially faster on the A711 (though I mainly use my Nikon glass in MF )

satijntje Regular Member • Posts: 166

I was in the same position, could not make a decision, either the A7s or the A7m2.

So I bought a second hand A7 for a bargain price, and will wait for the A7sm2 that will certainly come the year!

Good luck

John

satijntje's gear list:satijntje's gear list
Sony RX100 Leica V-Lux (Typ 114) Canon EOS 450D Leica M9 Leica Summicron-M 50mm f/2 +1 more
Zenjitsuman Contributing Member • Posts: 793

Since you have both cameras, which is better with Leica M rangefinder wide angle lenses?

Zenjitsuman's gear list:Zenjitsuman's gear list
Carl Zeiss Biogon T* 2,8/25 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Voigtlander 21mm F1.8 Ultron
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads