I am seeing alot of old timers with the Sony A7......

Started Dec 15, 2014 | Discussions
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590
Re: They must have had younger people buy the cameras for them, as...

Corkcampbell wrote:

They must have had younger people buy the cameras for them, as we all know it is illegal for anyone over 55 to have a modern, fashionable, and capable camera system.

Cameras are fashionable?

Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,264

I agree, that's why I don't want anyone to know about my Sony Nex 7 or my Samsung NX20/299 systems, or even my D700 system, so please don't mention it, as I'll be 89 in March. You can talk about my S2 Pro if you like.

T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,546
Re: makes SENSE. Old people = Richer & Better Photographer ;-). 1st camera = FF SLR

Bob A L wrote:

maybe, but among my old timer friends (and I'm one for sure) the words old time photographer and Sony and old time photographer and ovf - are just not even compatible words. They would not even be used in the same sentence. But maybe old timers fairly new to photography.

I think there are a lot of "old timers" that are a lot more adaptable than you think.  Because if there's one thing old-timers have come to realize, it's that time changes things, and nothing stays the same forever.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more
Re: @Bob A L : speaking like an EVF Hater. Have you try A7?

Bob A L wrote:

I have a new olympus with efv - usable, but no match for glass.

I'd choose an EVF for accurate manual focus over an autofocus camera's OVF any day.  EVF focus magnification and focus peaking make manually focusing lenses so much easier and more precise.  I even have third-party split-image focusing screens installed in my DSLRs, and it still doesn't make it as easy to manually focus a lens, or check focus, as it is with an EVF that has focus magnification and focus peaking.

ZX11
ZX11 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,432
Re: I am seeing alot of old timers with the Sony A7......

yardcoyote wrote:

For those unfamiliar, the object on the right in the first image is called a "camera". (I'd substitute a K body Pentax, but that's a matter of personal taste. I certainly could have gotten behind an FM2 and the 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, which I remember wanting quite a lot at the time.)

The biggest complaint about Canon's SL1 is that it is too small to handle easily.  But people state smaller and smaller FF cameras are desirable?  Small like the Samsung NX mini?  Why?

-- hide signature --

"Very funny, Scotty! Now beam me down my clothes."

ZX11's gear list:ZX11's gear list
Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 13,797

Well, I've got no trouble handling an SL1-- I quite like the way it points. Nice little camera ergonomically, particularly with a small prime. (Still shaped like a DSLR, though.) Part of the reason people think it is too small is because many modern shooters insist that very large, heavy fast zooms are automatically the general purpose lenses of choice, and huge glass tends to overwhelm a small body that may be delicious with a modest prime on it.

And of course there are other reasons modern DSLRs are larger than their film counterparts--universal autofocus, the small computer that is necessary to control all the automated functions (and its heat sink) lcd screens, batteries... add the mirror box and it is going to get big. I guess that's why the nearest equivalents in size and handling to film cameras are mirrorless. I've never actually handled an A7 so I can't speak to how it feels, but if you want to pick up a fully modern camera that feels just right to hands trained on manual film SLRs, head over to Fuji and pick up an X-T1.

At least that's how it feels to me. It took me forever to get used to my DSLR, but the X-T1 fits perfectly and handles naturally: I was shooting effectively with it literally within moments of turning it on. It's not just the size, it's the shape, and the position of the controls--particularly the aperture rings on the prime lenses, which spreads control functions between the shooter's two hands and gives a level of balance you can't get with the basically one handed operation of the DSLR.

Sometimes I wish I could have one, but I can't afford to replace all my glass, and I'm still not sure I'm ready to give up my OVF.

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +18 more
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632
Complaining

ZX11 wrote:

The biggest complaint about Canon's SL1 is that it is too small to handle easily. But people state smaller and smaller FF cameras are desirable? Small like the Samsung NX mini? Why?

If you find it odd that photo enthusiasts complain about anything and everything on gear forums, then this site must be a very strange read from day to day

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,632
EVF

Obviously there are people who are quite attached to having their VF look like a telescope, and I think they will hang onto their OVFs as long as possible, repeating their mantras:

• battery life!
  • looking at a television screen!
  • delay!
  • NFL sidelines!
  • etc!

Which is all well and good, I do not bemoan someone's tastes, even if they do not match mine. I have tried, but to this day I just do not care for steamed broccoli. All the blog posts in the world extolling the delicious euphoria that can only be obtained through steamed broccoli will not make me suddenly like it. I don't.

I like an EVF because  it is an EVF, not in spite of it. An OVF camera, to me, is like looking through a telescope— and the shutter release involves some disconnected other process to capture the image (which of course, is exactly what it is). An EVF, to me, feels and looks like I am using a digital image capturing device.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,195

As you get older, the weight of a heavy camera becomes increasingly difficult to bear. Ansel Adams, towards the end of his life downgraded from 8x10 view cameras to a Hasselblad 500, for instance.

The A7 with the 55mm f/1.8 seems like a terrific combo, and people who grew up photographically using a SLR with a fast 50mm prime would have no difficulty adapting to it.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +31 more
Gazeomon
Gazeomon Contributing Member • Posts: 552

TRIODEROB wrote:

seeing alot of old timers with the A7 and the Zeiss 55 combo.

Dudes 65+ and alot of bragging about the camera.

of note: only the A7 model not the A7R or A7S

I have seen this unit for about $1250 new but the guys I am talking about appear to purchased

before the price drop as their cameras typically look well used.

any comment or criticisms ?

And Your point is- - -? What an idiotic thread!

Gazeomon's gear list:Gazeomon's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Samsung NX500 Leica CL Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake +10 more
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 8,462

I've yet to see a single person of any age with an A7 of any type, let alone 'lots' of them.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III +25 more
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 8,462
Re: @Bob A L : speaking like an EVF Hater. Have you try A7?

007peter wrote:

Bob A L wrote:

maybe, but among my old timer friends (and I'm one for sure) the words old time photographer and Sony and old time photographer and ovf - are just not even compatible words. They would not even be used in the same sentence. But maybe old timers fairly new to photography.

Speaking like a typical EVF Hater. I was one too, but have you try:

Sony A7 or Olympus EM5, or Fuji XT-1

There are Big Bright EVF, very enjoyable to used. I used to hate EVF until I used an Olympus EM5

I hated EVF in 2012, but I love the new EVF in the modern mirrorless. Don't judge the current EVF with an old prejudice.

Hate is an extreme emotion. Try to avoid it at all times. 'Dislike' is far more civilized.

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III +25 more
nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 17,498
Fangle dangle complicated things

TRIODEROB wrote:

I have seen this unit for about $1250 new but the guys I am talking about appear to purchased

And this old fart still uses only manual focus lenses. Why, it just feels right Yet here they are sitting on this fangle dangle thing called a digital cameras with too many damn buttons and features and then, they throw in some mini TV screen to look at. Heck they even have all this weird stuff like HDR and auto bracketing, you can even have funny colours and stuff as well.

What grey card, this darn unit has auto stuff to fix all that garbage ......... its no damn good at it, but it tries.

Sony made TV's and now I'm using a camera made by them, Panasonic made great toasters and now look at them. Canon made cameras, Nikon made cameras, Olympus even made cameras, no we have these Samsung boxes floating around. Pentax was good and Fuji started making film. Then we had poor old Kodak, would never have believed the day that would end. Sheesh. K25 and K64, oh man and now we have digital things and no film costs.

Would I go back, not a chance

Sony A series, naaaa no way, give me a NEX.

Danny.

-- hide signature --

Birds, macro, motor sports.... http://www.birdsinaction.com

Just Kingfisher ..... http://www.flickr.com/photos/96361462@N06/

ZX11 wrote:

yardcoyote wrote:

For those unfamiliar, the object on the right in the first image is called a "camera". (I'd substitute a K body Pentax, but that's a matter of personal taste. I certainly could have gotten behind an FM2 and the 58mm f/1.2 Noct-Nikkor, which I remember wanting quite a lot at the time.)

The biggest complaint about Canon's SL1 is that it is too small to handle easily. But people state smaller and smaller FF cameras are desirable? Small like the Samsung NX mini? Why?

Who exactly is complaining about the SL1 being too small to handle easily? Probably people who have become used to the bloated size of today's DSLRs! And people are always going to complain about whatever they're not used to.

People have to remember that only in fairly recent photographic history did SLR cameras get so large. I remember a Nikon F3 used to be considered a very large, chunky, tank of a camera. But put next to today's DSLRs, and it looks small!

By the way, don't be absurd. No one is saying that FF cameras should be as small as an NX Mini. What an idiotic comment. All we're saying is that maybe we should back down from the big, fat, bloated sizes that we're using today, and get back to the size that film SLR cameras used to be! A nice classic size, back when a 35mm FF camera wasn't the size of your face. We never had an issue handling these cameras back then. If anything, their reasonable size allowed them to handle better and was more comfortable to use because you weren't lugging around a camera that looked like it had been abusing anabolic steroids.

stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,689

T3 wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

Because they probably remember the days when cameras weren't so bloated, fat, and chunky! Even the "compact" Nikon Df (the smallest FF DSLR in the world) is noticeably fatter than a classic Nikon manual film SLR. So I see the attraction of the A7 as a return to a FF SLR-like camera that doesn't look like it needs to go on a serious diet.

That appears to be a Nikon FM or FE - no one complained about its size back then. Now we thing the Df is somehow compact?

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
chkproductions
chkproductions Senior Member • Posts: 1,130

Time doesn't stand still just for you.  If you're very lucky you too will also become an old timer.  Don't talk about it as though you will never be one.

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,355

Corkcampbell wrote:

They must have had younger people buy the cameras for them, as we all know it is illegal for anyone over 55 to have a modern, fashionable, and capable camera system.

Fashionable? LOL

Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183

Corkcampbell wrote:

We are talking about the A7 right?

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Ontario Gone
Ontario Gone Veteran Member • Posts: 4,183

Heavy cameras I can understand, getting old means losing muscle mass and energy. Big though doesn't have to mean heavy, just look at how the K3 is far heavier and moderately smaller than a camera like the Sony A77II. Large, in many people's book, isn't bad. It allows for a better grip for longer lenses as well as bigger batteries in those grips, and it allows for more room for external controls (Sony has been known to force menu surfing, ewwww).

I personally don't mind heavy cameras as it lessens hand shake and internal camera vibrations like shutter shock or mirror slap, but I don't begrudge others for wanting lighter, it's a tradeoff. Smaller is the same way, there are benefits to bigger as well. Unfortunately there are those who insist it's only one way, as if bigger or heavier has no advantages to anybody.

-- hide signature --

"Run to the light, Carol Anne. Run as fast as you can!"

Ontario Gone's gear list:Ontario Gone's gear list
Nikon D7000 Canon EOS 70D Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
TRIODEROB
OP TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

Aberaeron wrote:

I've yet to see a single person of any age with an A7 of any type, let alone 'lots' of them.

you live in Wales.

Come out to California where the sun always shines and you will see plenty.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads