Fuji future

Started Dec 12, 2014 | Discussions
OP maxnimo Junior Member • Posts: 44
Re: Fuji future

Well this is interesting - most Fuji users appear to be into landscapes or portraits. Fair enough, after all, 80% of my photography is landscapes and portraits. The problem is that for the other 20%, the action stuff, I now need to carry a second camera brand with a different lens. So if a tiger or a UFO dashes in front of my subject, I need to pull out the other camera to get a nice 60 frame burst of 4K photos... not very practical.

John Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,262

Bailey151 wrote:

Just a Photographer wrote:

..........By looking at the number of likes that Dhukat gets, it seems obvious that most people do not seem interested in video that much. I wouldn't want to call these people oldies. I think these people just like taking photo's more and see less use of video.................

That's the same line of thinking that made Kodak what it is today.

Exactly!

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
John Carson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,262

maxnimo wrote:

Well this is interesting - most Fuji users appear to be into landscapes or portraits. Fair enough, after all, 80% of my photography is landscapes and portraits. The problem is that for the other 20%, the action stuff, I now need to carry a second camera brand with a different lens. So if a tiger or a UFO dashes in front of my subject, I need to pull out the other camera to get a nice 60 frame burst of 4K photos... not very practical.

Not practical at all.

It is also worth pointing out that of course most Fuji users do landscapes and portraits. They don't do video because the Fuji video sucks, so Fuji doesn't attract users who are into video.

Reasonably good video is an expected feature of a modern camera. Fuji needs to catch up if it is to attract a wider group of users.

-- hide signature --

john carson

John Carson's gear list:John Carson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
kaan14 Junior Member • Posts: 25

John Carson wrote:

Bailey151 wrote:

..........By looking at the number of likes that Dhukat gets, it seems obvious that most people do not seem interested in video that much. I wouldn't want to call these people oldies. I think these people just like taking photo's more and see less use of video.................

Exactly!

Yes, this is also exactly why Leica is at the edge of declaring chapter 11....

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,038

kaan14 wrote:

John Carson wrote:

Bailey151 wrote:

Exactly!

Yes, this is also exactly why Leica is at the edge of declaring chapter 11....

Have you looked at the Leica T, and especially its user interface?

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
dacms Regular Member • Posts: 226

24MP would make me happy.  16Mp is really so 2011.

Peter Bendheim
Peter Bendheim Senior Member • Posts: 2,555

Prints too small for you?

-- hide signature --

Peter Bendheim
www.peterbendheim.com

Peter Bendheim's gear list:Peter Bendheim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon G1 X III Sony DSC-RX0 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS M +2 more
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,877

maxnimo wrote:

I was just thinking how Fuji could top itself now.

I'd like to see an 8MP 4K video-friendly camera, also capable of shooting 1080p at 120 fps, and stills of course, that's geared towards action and wildlife photography, and can give decent output at ISO 50,000.

What are your thoughts?

But their current video is not that good. Making it 4K will only make it 4x not that good.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 +2 more
LaFonte Senior Member • Posts: 2,877
4K is not that easy

DJF77 wrote:

Koban wrote:

Dukhat wrote:

I'd be happier if they would remove video entirely and stick with still image cameras.

We all have our dreams.

+1

For me its a Photo camera not video.

Hopefully Fuji will listen to market demands and not a few oldies on here. Video capability is essential if they want to push the series as a serious camera. I'm not particularly interested in video apart from a few clips here and there, but there are many who will want good video ability and there is no reason fuji should not put some effort in. It will cost them in the long run if they don't (look how popular the GH4 is because of its video quality)

1: Panasonic is in the video game for ages. Fuji is not (fuji is big in video cinema lenses but not processing). Fuji never made proper video in any of their photo cameras, it is just there, but not very good. It is not trivial to catch on. Especially not with Sony and Panasonic.

2: we will have 4K in fuji at some point in 2015 or 2016 as everybody will be putting it there, but it will be exactly as favorite feature as the HD we have right now. Nobody would want to use it in fuji except for some amateur emergency.

3: I used LX100 in 4K. To be 4K usable it cannot be just slapped in camera like 1080 is in fuji. 4K takes over your whole camera - this is 100Mb/s data dump to a SD card (and no, the class 10 UHS-1 is still not fast enough). The focusing has to be bulletproof, the codec has to be perfect, you MUST have IBIS/OIS, the data writing has to be without single interruption otherwise the whole 4k is down the drain. Panasonic did it, because they rock big time but the whole camera is now developed as video base with 4 processors. Sony couldn't do it yet in photo (they will do it in 2015 using a less hungry XAVC)

That's my take.

LaFonte's gear list:LaFonte's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-H1 +2 more
robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,038

dacms wrote:

24MP would make me happy. 16Mp is really so 2011.

and 24 is rather spring 2014. The current Sony sensor generation is significantly better [not only in resolution, but also in other aspects] but it is bound to be replaced in 2015. I'll skip at least a generation.

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads