Comparing Nikon D750 and Nikon 85 1.8 to Fuji X-T1 and Fuji 56

Started Dec 8, 2014 | Discussions
RobertBetchel
RobertBetchel Regular Member • Posts: 150
Comparing Nikon D750 and Nikon 85 1.8 to Fuji X-T1 and Fuji 56

So I am lucky enough to have two wonderful cameras. The new Nikon D750 and the XT-1. It is not a matter of one replacing the other. Rather I intend on using both of them side by side in my portrait and event photography. I recently received a Fuji 56 1.2 lens and did a quick self portrait comparison of it against the Nikon 85 1.8 on the D750. The Nikon was at 2.5 and the Fuji at 2.0, so the depth of field is still a bit more shallow on the Nikon shot due to equivalence.. But all in all I LOVE the quality of the 56 image.

Nikon D750, Nikon 85 1.8 at F 2.5 and ISO 100 1/160th

Fuji X-T1 with Fuji 56 at F2, ISO 200 1/180th

RobertBetchel's gear list:RobertBetchel's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +13 more
Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
bartolyni Contributing Member • Posts: 513
Re: Comparing Nikon D750 and Nikon 85 1.8 to Fuji X-T1 and Fuji 56

Stunning performance from Fuji!! After owning X-Pro1 and XF 56 f1.2 I never had the reason to upgrade my Nikon D3 to D750

cesjr Forum Member • Posts: 60

The Fuji looks better there, but the shots are not exactly the same so not a perfect test.

Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,342

Would love to see the Nikon at a comparable F4.  The DOF is too definitely too narrow on the shot you posted.

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Would love to see the Nikon at a comparable F4. The DOF is too definitely too narrow on the shot you posted.

you are becoming too obsessed with size these days....whether its aperture or sensor or otherwise. You have both cameras...why don't you upload your opposing findings?

Daniel Lauring

bartolyni wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Would love to see the Nikon at a comparable F4. The DOF is too definitely too narrow on the shot you posted.

you are becoming too obsessed with size these days....whether its aperture or sensor or otherwise. You have both cameras...why don't you upload your opposing findings?

?

ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

I see a issue in making a final decision and that has to do with the lighting.

The first shot is straight on with a hot spot on your forehead and the second you turned away a bit.

This make the Nikon not look as good as the Fuji.

Can you confirm how you set Dynamic range on the Fuji (auto or dialed in manually), film simulation mode too.

Oh, and I think you should have set the Nikon to ISO 200 as well or heck set both to ISO 400.

The Fuji looks more underexposed if you look at your blue jacket. The Nikon is more blue than the Fuji but I am not sure why other to go back to the change in lighting, or what it looks like that change.

georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,158

Thanks for posting.  Always good to see a comparison, even if it isn't perfect.  It just reinforces that with any modern system, with a good lens, the lighting and composition make a much larger difference than the equipment.

FWIW, it looks like the Nikon is back-focusing a bit - look that the hair on top of the head.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Travelshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 3,320

To me the Nikon has just a bit of greenish cast.  (Yeah, yeah..  the monitor was calibrated yesterday so I'm thinking it's the image.)

-- hide signature --

www.MartinDareff.com

Travelshooter's gear list:Travelshooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VI Samsung Galaxy S7 edge +9 more
RobertBetchel
OP RobertBetchel Regular Member • Posts: 150

A couple of more image comparisons.  These with a Christmas tree in the background to give a sense of the bokeh.

Nikon D750 with Nikon 85 1.8 at F 1.8

Fuji X-T1 with Fuji 56 1.2.  Shot at F 1.2

At 100% you can see the Fuji bokeh has a bit more of an onioning to the bokeh balls, but all in all the images are very comparable.

RobertBetchel's gear list:RobertBetchel's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sony a7R III Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +13 more
georgehudetz Veteran Member • Posts: 4,158

Very impressive.  I used the 56 indoors for some candid shots recently and was very happy with the results.

georgehudetz's gear list:georgehudetz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +8 more
Daniel Lauring

RobertBetchel wrote:

A couple of more image comparisons. These with a Christmas tree in the background to give a sense of the bokeh.

Nikon D750 with Nikon 85 1.8 at F 1.8

Fuji X-T1 with Fuji 56 1.2. Shot at F 1.2

At 100% you can see the Fuji bokeh has a bit more of an onioning to the bokeh balls, but all in all the images are very comparable.

Pick your poison.  Cat's eye specular highlight bokeh with Nikon, Onion ring specular highlight bokeh with Fuji.  Personally I prefer the former.

rwbaron Forum Pro • Posts: 13,978

Thanks for posting.

On this series the Fuji appears a bit overexposed which is washing out some skin detail especially in the forehead area.  Nice comparison of the Bokeh though.  On the first series I feel the Fuji held up better on detail but that may all come down to exposure and light angle.

I just received my 56 on Friday and have only taken a few shots so far.  I'm too busy sorting out my new 10-24 which arrived last Wednesday.  I've also got the 23 on backorder

Bob

-- hide signature --
 rwbaron's gear list:rwbaron's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +8 more
mario GTI Regular Member • Posts: 186

I don't pixel peep but looking at both of the samples the selfie and the Xmas portrait I prefer the Nikon pics, I found the Fuji pics too flat and overall looking dull, DR is better with Nikon too.
I don't know, maybe time to calibrate my screen....

noyo Contributing Member • Posts: 795
Re: comparing apples with apples but which has better skin tones?

ryan2007 wrote:

Oh, and I think you should have set the Nikon to ISO 200 as well or heck set both to ISO 400.

I do understand the concept of comparing 'like with like', i.e. ISO 200 to ISO 200, it is comparing what should theoretically be the same (or equal) to see whether there is any difference and if so, which is better at that setting.

But wouldn't it also be relevant or even better to compare the best that each camera can be? If the camera that can shoot at ISO 100 actually performs better at ISO 100 than 200, wouldn't that be interesting to know? And if that makes it better than the camera that cannot shoot at ISO 100 then it has a clear advantage. It might not be better or significantly different but if it can be, it would be unfair to limit its capabilities in the name of equality.

It's like testing and comparing the fuel consumption of 2 vehicles. One has 4 gears and other has 5. It would be ridiculous to do the test with both vehicles only using 4 gears (to make them the same). Factor in that the 5 gear vehicle has a bigger engine, burns a different type of fuel and it really isn't comparing 'like with like'. The whole purpose of doing a comparison is to establish how well each can perform and which is better.

Comparing web sized images is irrelevant apart from comparing colour, DR and 'the look' of the image. Most of that can be selected or optimised at RAW conversion anyway.

Comparing bokeh is also irrelevant as it will change with different lenses on both cameras.

I doubt anyone would seriously dispute that the D750 with a good lens wouldn't out-resolve the X-T1 for really big prints or heavy cropping. So for me, the real value of this side by side comparison is that there is little difference in the skin tones. Split them apart and very few, if any, could tell which camera did which.

So you can safely make your choice for either Nikon or Fujifilm, based on a whole range of other criteria, the characteristics you prefer, without worrying that you would lose out on the legendary colours/skin tones for which Fujifilm was once renowned.

-- hide signature --
 noyo's gear list:noyo's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Fujifilm X-M1 Nikon D750 Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
billhink1 Junior Member • Posts: 43

Thanks for posting both sets of comparison shots. I have shot portraits with the Fuji w/56 and the Nikon D700 w/85. IMO both rigs yield vey nice results. The Fuji has the advantage of size and weight for little trade off in IQ (if any).

Congratulations-you've got a couple of great camera and lenses.

billhink1's gear list:billhink1's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +11 more
Stunning contrast and sharpness on the Fuji!!

This once again shows sensor size does not matter!!

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,425
Re: Stunning contrast and sharpness on the Fuji!!

bartolyni wrote:

until iso climbs...

-- hide signature --

Jostian

Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Nikon D700 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Nikon D500 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +5 more
Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,707
Re: Stunning contrast and sharpness on the Fuji!!

bartolyni wrote:

In some situations it doesn't. And this may be one of those.

Yet, in other situations it does matter, and sometimes it matters a lot.

In this instance, it also shows that once you buy the camera, FF may be more economical than APS-C. The Nikon lens used here is about half the price of that of the Fuji lens.

Now, if you buy a set of FF Nikkors like 35/1.8, 50/1.8 and 85/1.8 for your D750 and compare that to a Fuji set of 23/1.4, 35/1.4 and 56/1.2 with an X-T1, and moneywise you are already ahead with the Nikon system. It can no longer be said that FF digital photography is out of reach of the average photographer. And it's not even an enrty lefel setup.

There are then some pros and cons for both systems, but in many situations the FF Nikon will outperform the Fujifilm X. In others the X will be just as good.

We are very lucky today to have all these technically amazing choices.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Peter Jonas

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
Walter H Regular Member • Posts: 120

Robert, could you say a bit about your work and how you intend the two will compliment one another?

I have been shooting a documentary and environmental portraiture project using the XT-1 with the 23, the 56, and a few speedboosted FD lenses. I am very happy with this kit. There are aspects of the GH4 I am not crazy about for video (namely performance in very high contrast, low-light situations) and I am considering switching to the D750, thinking I could also have the benefit of full-frame for stills when I want it, particularly for lower-light and for portraits. But I feel the systems in that regard will overlap too much.

Another part of my then says "due to system overlap, sell off the Fuji and go full Nikon" but I am completely happy with the images that you (and what I) am getting from the XT-1. I also prioritize the size, the discreteness, how quiet it is.

So, curious to hear about when/how you intend to use each system. Thanks!

Walter

Walter H's gear list:Walter H's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads