The amazing Zuiko 40-150mm

Started Nov 29, 2014 | User reviews
BYRON MCD 77-81
BYRON MCD 77-81 Regular Member • Posts: 268
The amazing Zuiko 40-150mm

The capabilities of this lens are way beyond what you'd expect from a kit lens. I have been pleasantly surprised, or should I say astonished by the results I've had with it on my e30 - check them out in my gallery. Bought it second hand (mint condition) for a 100 euros, so I can't complain. Although I think it would be unfair to compare it to higher grade Zuiko glass, it certainly can compete. Under the circumstances, I don't see why anyone would give it less than four and a half stars. I'd give it five if it weren't for the difficulties of shooting in low light at f5 or f5.6.  A great buy, I'm now surprised that I hadn't considered getting one before.

BYRON MCD 77-81's gear list:BYRON MCD 77-81's gear list
Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +5 more
Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6
Telephoto zoom lens • Four Thirds • 261056
Announced: Sep 27, 2004
BYRON MCD 77-81's score
Average community score
Olympus E-3 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,048
Re: The amazing Zuiko 40-150mm

It is a very good lens, I have one, I just bought an E-1 to use it with but it performs better on M4/3. Unfortunately it seems like it is twice the price in Europe, but enjoy it and I hope you post some pictures of beautiful Greece.

Yasoo!

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +24 more
photoholiko Senior Member • Posts: 2,048

I just went to your gallery, very nice!

photoholiko's gear list:photoholiko's gear list
Canon EOS 400D Olympus PEN E-PL1 Epson PhotoPC 850 Zoom Minolta DiMAGE 7 Canon EOS 20D +24 more
BYRON MCD 77-81
OP BYRON MCD 77-81 Regular Member • Posts: 268

Glad you liked the shots. Thanks for looking.

Best wishes

Byron.

Olympus E-620 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +5 more
108 Contributing Member • Posts: 797

Great lens, better stay under 120 mm though

Here on m4/3 with adapter

108's gear list:108's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10
completelyrandomstuff Regular Member • Posts: 176

If you get the 40-150m F3.5-4.5 you can have it for some $50 on ebay. It will balance better on the E-1 and it is generally a very good lens. It's nice to have the extra aperture and it's probably the cheapest lens for 4/3rds on the used market.

completelyrandomstuff's gear list:completelyrandomstuff's gear list
Olympus E-510 Pentax K-30 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Pentax smc DA 16-45mm F4 ED AL Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM +1 more
BYRON MCD 77-81

I also draw the line at 120mm, (others would say 100mm) but I think that it is still pretty good a bit longer, but I can see that there is a noticeable drop in quality at the extreme end at 150mm.  I presume that there would be some differences using one with an adaptor on micro 4/3. Up till now, I've only used it n the e30.

Regards.

BYRON MCD 77-81

Here are some recent images.

Charles Baxter
Charles Baxter Contributing Member • Posts: 947

I took the 40-150mm F3.5-4.5 to Colorado last June rather than lugging the 50-200 while hiking.  I have always been pleased with this lens.  Camera was E-30.

Mountain bluebird

Grosbeak

Fritillary

-- hide signature --

slowbutsteady

Charles Baxter's gear list:Charles Baxter's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +6 more
BYRON MCD 77-81

Nice work and at it's less than perfect long end ! Just goes to show.

Regards.

René Schuster Forum Pro • Posts: 14,180

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

The capabilities of this lens are way beyond what you'd expect from a kit lens. I have been pleasantly surprised, or should I say astonished by the results I've had with it on my e30 - check them out in my gallery. Bought it second hand (mint condition) for a 100 euros, so I can't complain. Although I think it would be unfair to compare it to higher grade Zuiko glass, it certainly can compete. Under the circumstances, I don't see why anyone would give it less than four and a half stars. I'd give it five if it weren't for the difficulties of shooting in low light at f5 or f5.6. A great buy, I'm now surprised that I hadn't considered getting one before.

Yes, it is a very nice lens! Even before I bought my new 520 in 2008, I bought a used version of the old 40-150, the 3.5-4.5; it was my most used lens on this camera until I bought an E-5 three months ago.

But - as good as this 40-150 is, the 50-200, which I bought for the E-5, is a better lens, a different league.

Don't know about the newer 40-150, the 4.0-5.6, but with the old version sooner or later the aperture mechanism fails/gets stuck at something like f/16. I am on my second old version now, used from ebay, can't remember exactly now, but I think I payed about €100 or 120. Sometimes you see them go for 70 or 80.

RS

Roger Engelken
Roger Engelken Veteran Member • Posts: 5,180

René Schuster wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

The capabilities of this lens are way beyond what you'd expect from a kit lens. I have been pleasantly surprised, or should I say astonished by the results I've had with it on my e30 - check them out in my gallery. Bought it second hand (mint condition) for a 100 euros, so I can't complain. Although I think it would be unfair to compare it to higher grade Zuiko glass, it certainly can compete. Under the circumstances, I don't see why anyone would give it less than four and a half stars. I'd give it five if it weren't for the difficulties of shooting in low light at f5 or f5.6. A great buy, I'm now surprised that I hadn't considered getting one before.

Yes, it is a very nice lens! Even before I bought my new 520 in 2008, I bought a used version of the old 40-150, the 3.5-4.5; it was my most used lens on this camera until I bought an E-5 three months ago.

But - as good as this 40-150 is, the 50-200, which I bought for the E-5, is a better lens, a different league.

Don't know about the newer 40-150, the 4.0-5.6, but with the old version sooner or later the aperture mechanism fails/gets stuck at something like f/16. I am on my second old version now, used from ebay, can't remember exactly now, but I think I payed about €100 or 120. Sometimes you see them go for 70 or 80.

RS

A different league alright...in price.  The payoff is relative, depending on what you want to achieve.

Roger Engelken's gear list:Roger Engelken's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Olympus E-M1 II +1 more

Roger Engelken wrote:

René Schuster wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

RS

A different league alright...in price. The payoff is relative, depending on what you want to achieve.

Not only in price! Mainly I wanted  a bit more reach and a faster lens when I need AF. And AF is also a lot faster with the 50-200 SWD, compared to the nice 40-150. And the 50-200 is also a bit sharper, maybe like the difference between the (not bad!) 14-42 and a 14-54.

Price: I found my 50-200 SWD used on ebay €750, only 4 months old, mint condition in box, with lens hood and pouch, with another 20 months of Oly Germany warranty. €400 less than what the seller payed for it; he also sent me his original invoice.

But - this was not a Sunday evening ebay auction, lol, this one ended around midnight on a Tuesday! He wanted €900, no bidders, so I waited until the auction was almost over and offered 750, what he acccepted.

RS

BYRON MCD 77-81

Absolutely no doubt as to the virtues of the 50-200, noone would deny that it's by far a superior lens, but the point of the matter is how a really cheap lens like the 40-150 can achieve unexpectedly great images.

As for its build, well I do have higher grade lenses, so quality difference is obvious, but really, if I manage to get a year or so use out of it and some equally good shots as the ones I've already taken, then I'll be happy.

Last but not least, the fact that it's so light and unobstrusive - it doesn't stick out a mile and it also feels like Im just carrying the camera body, also makes it effective in many situations.

Regards.

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

Absolutely no doubt as to the virtues of the 50-200, noone would deny that it's by far a superior lens, but the point of the matter is how a really cheap lens like the 40-150 can achieve unexpectedly great images.

As for its build, well I do have higher grade lenses, so quality difference is obvious, but really, if I manage to get a year or so use out of it and some equally good shots as the ones I've already taken, then I'll be happy.

Last but not least, the fact that it's so light and unobstrusive - it doesn't stick out a mile and it also feels like Im just carrying the camera body, also makes it effective in many situations.

Regards.

Yes, it was never my intention to talk the 40-150 down somehow, it was my most used lens on the 520 with very good results! It is just that I had to react to Engelken's reply, seeing the main difference only in price, when comparing the 40-150 and the 50-200.

And I don't want to say the 50-200 is so much better when it comes to build quality; quite a few of the pre-SWD version broke in two pieces, while the main problem with the 40-150 -at least the faster, old version- is obviously the fact, that sooner or later the aperture mechanism gets stuck. And since a "new" used one on ebay is only €80-120, there is not much sense in getting a broken 40-150 fixed by Oly.

"Light and unobtrusive", yes, the 50-200 is rather heavy, compared to the 40-150.

About unobtrusive, well, the old version of the 40-150 with the lens hood attached comes pretty close to the 50-200 without the hood, a lttle less in diameter, but almost the same length. The lens hood of the 50-200 SWD is a monster; I am always happy if it is an overcast day and I can leave it at home!

Can say I don't really care, but the faster focusing of the SWD is rather impressive, too, compared to the old 40-150; sometimes it almost hurts to hear it lock focus hard and fast!

RS

BYRON MCD 77-81

René Schuster wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

Regards.

Yes, it was never my intention to talk the 40-150 down somehow, it was my most used lens on the 520 with very good results! It is just that I had to react to Engelken's reply, seeing the main difference only in price, when comparing the 40-150 and the 50-200.

And I don't want to say the 50-200 is so much better when it comes to build quality; quite a few of the pre-SWD version broke in two pieces, while the main problem with the 40-150 -at least the faster, old version- is obviously the fact, that sooner or later the aperture mechanism gets stuck. And since a "new" used one on ebay is only €80-120, there is not much sense in getting a broken 40-150 fixed by Oly.

"Light and unobtrusive", yes, the 50-200 is rather heavy, compared to the 40-150.

About unobtrusive, well, the old version of the 40-150 with the lens hood attached comes pretty close to the 50-200 without the hood, a lttle less in diameter, but almost the same length. The lens hood of the 50-200 SWD is a monster; I am always happy if it is an overcast day and I can leave it at home!

Can say I don't really care, but the faster focusing of the SWD is rather impressive, too, compared to the old 40-150; sometimes it almost hurts to hear it lock focus hard and fast!

RS

Know what you mean about that whopping great lens hood. Have felt the same way as it  makes the whole set up less stealthy and you end up sticking out like a sore thumb.

No doubt, it's more than just the price difference - anyone that's used higher grade Zuiko lenses knows that.

Have considered picking up a 2nd hand 50-200, but the size and the weight puts me off a bit. I'm so impressed by the lightness of the 40-150 that weight has become a serious consideration for me.

As you have experience with both lenses, would you mind taking a look at the 10-15 shots at the beginning of my gallery, taken with the 40-150, and let me know if you believe that they would have been markedly better if they had been taken with the 50-200 ?

Look forward to your reply.

Best wishes

Byron.

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

René Schuster wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

Regards.

RS

Know what you mean about that whopping great lens hood. Have felt the same way as it makes the whole set up less stealthy and you end up sticking out like a sore thumb.

No doubt, it's more than just the price difference - anyone that's used higher grade Zuiko lenses knows that.

Have considered picking up a 2nd hand 50-200, but the size and the weight puts me off a bit. I'm so impressed by the lightness of the 40-150 that weight has become a serious consideration for me.

As you have experience with both lenses, would you mind taking a look at the 10-15 shots at the beginning of my gallery, taken with the 40-150, and let me know if you believe that they would have been markedly better if they had been taken with the 50-200 ?

Best wishes

Byron.

Byron, I am far from being an experienced user of the 50-200, only got mine a few weeks ago and the weather here since some time now doesn't really make you want to go outside and take pictures. About 0°C now, overcast, cold wind from the East, the last two weeks it was mainly wet and foggy ... grr!

Your pictures, very good, those are some "real" faces and not just "plastic and make-up"!, but the sharpness is what really surprised me! Looks much more like the 50-200 on my E-5 than the 40-150 on my 520!

Really wondering now if I could see the same sharpness (before much editing), when trying the 40-150 on the E-5, what I haven't done so far.  I think the difference in sharpness between your 40-150 shots on the E-30 and mine on the 520 has more to do with the body than the lens.

Thanks for this demonstration of what the little 40-150 can do, really looking forward to see what it looks like on my E-5 now!

René

BYRON MCD 77-81

René Schuster wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

René Schuster wrote:

BYRON MCD 77-81 wrote:

Regards.

RS

Know what you mean about that whopping great lens hood. Have felt the same way as it makes the whole set up less stealthy and you end up sticking out like a sore thumb.

Best wishes

Byron.

Byron, I am far from being an experienced user of the 50-200, only got mine a few weeks ago and the weather here since some time now doesn't really make you want to go outside and take pictures. About 0°C now, overcast, cold wind from the East, the last two weeks it was mainly wet and foggy ... grr!

Your pictures, very good, those are some "real" faces and not just "plastic and make-up"!, but the sharpness is what really surprised me! Looks much more like the 50-200 on my E-5 than the 40-150 on my 520!

Really wondering now if I could see the same sharpness (before much editing), when trying the 40-150 on the E-5, what I haven't done so far. I think the difference in sharpness between your 40-150 shots on the E-30 and mine on the 520 has more to do with the body than the lens.

Thanks for this demonstration of what the little 40-150 can do, really looking forward to see what it looks like on my E-5 now!

René

Rene, thanks for going to the trouble. Very much appreciated.

Well, you must be right about the differences in the two cameras. The sensor in the E30 is a big improvement on previous models, has a lighter low pass filtre and is even better than the professional specs E3. And the E5 is even better still. Therefore, you should be able to get equal or even better results than me. Plus you can go up higher on the iso scale, so you could stop down a bit more, too. Let me know when you get some decent results - I'd be happy to see them.

All the best

Byron.

JustFred Senior Member • Posts: 1,532

I agree.

The Olympus MK1 40-150mm f3.5-4.5 tele-zoom is a kit lens but a very underrated lens. It delivers nice sharp images and is a ruggedly constructed lens with a metal lens mount and is made in Japan. It has a very pleasing bokeh too.

I don't use it very often but I was glad I had it with me on a recent visit to South Africa's Pilanesberg Game Reserve.The shot of the little bird I took on an earlier visit to South Africa but also with the same combo.

Do please click on the images to appreciate the full detail.

E-1 with 40-150mm MK1 f3.5-4.5 tele-zoom lens.

JustFred's gear list:JustFred's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 11-22mm 1:2.8-3.5
BYRON MCD 77-81

Nice set, Fred.

Underrated or just simply ignored as it's getting on ? Perhaps it's just that we're so spoiled for choice nowadays that the older gear gets left by the wayside and is constantly replaced by newer models. But sometimes the old stuff can still perform well beyond what one may expect. And in this game, it's the image that counts, and that, as we all know, does not depend just on how expensive or up to date the gear is.

By the way, I've acquired the later f4-f5.6 version, but I believe the end product is equally good. I'm seeing some very good results.

Best wishes

Byron.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads