Nikon Coolpix p600 problem

Started Nov 26, 2014 | Questions
ragai New Member • Posts: 2
Nikon Coolpix p600 problem

I'm using Nikon Coolpix P600 camera. When turning on the camera the modes keep turning from one mode to the next mode on the screen automatically without touching the mode dial. Why is this happening and how to solve this problem ?.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon Coolpix P600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648
On what symbol/mode

is the top dial ?

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

jfelbab Senior Member • Posts: 1,842
Re: On what symbol/mode

I haven't experienced that condition but maybe you can pul the battery for 20 minutes and reinsert and try powering it up?  There is also a "reset all" in the setup menu.

-- hide signature --

Jim
'There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.'
-- Ansel Adams

jimr Forum Pro • Posts: 11,405
Is It set In The Mode Where The Camera Selects The Best Mode Automatically?

Nt

Bullwhip Regular Member • Posts: 269
Re: Nikon Coolpix p600 problem

Pg 43 of the manual: "Scene-> Scene auto-selector. When you point the camera at the subject, the camera automatically sleects the optimum scene mode from the list below and adjusts the shooting settings accordingly..."

This could be the issue?

Mcbrig
Mcbrig Veteran Member • Posts: 3,574

Bullwhip wrote:

Pg 43 of the manual: "Scene-> Scene auto-selector. When you point the camera at the subject, the camera automatically sleects the optimum scene mode from the list below and adjusts the shooting settings accordingly..."

This could be the issue?

I agree this is probably the reason your seeing the changes, plz reply to Bullwhip so we know if this fixed your issue.

Hope to see seem pictures from your P600.

Mcbrig's gear list:Mcbrig's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon Coolpix B700 Nikon D7500 FastStone Image Viewer
martinsp600 New Member • Posts: 1

Hi Mcbrig, My p600 is dong the same switching gag.  I understand the automatic switching for the best format/scene but it is doing it back and forth, back and forth loads of times would this be classed as normal

Thanks

M

Mcbrig

martinsp600 wrote:

Hi Mcbrig, My p600 is dong the same switching gag. I understand the automatic switching for the best format/scene but it is doing it back and forth, back and forth loads of times would this be classed as normal

Thanks

M

If you are in Scene Mode and moving the camera around pointing at different things it is going to change.

Set your ISO at 100 and set your other Menu settings to your liking and then switch to P Mode, it should not change.

Please let me know if this works.

Ohiodee51 New Member • Posts: 19

Did you find anything out about this issue, as mine has started doing this also when I try to zoom it stops and flashes auto, scene, etc

Mine is doing the switching thing also, it is set on auto when it does this.

Mcbrig
Help - for this condition - Re: Nikon Coolpix p600 problem

Ohiodee51 wrote:

Did you find anything out about this issue, as mine has started doing this also when I try to zoom it stops and flashes auto, scene, etc

I tried out all the modes and cannot duplicate what you are talking about Does any other P600 users have any ideas.

rawat New Member • Posts: 1

Hi there,

I'm facing the same issue. And its really annoying. If yo have been able to find a solution, do share the details on this forum.

Thanks!

divyabhatia New Member • Posts: 3

mine has the same problem.also has anyone used ir filters with Nikon p600?i was thinking of buying one but don't know which ir filter to buy

davelok
davelok Senior Member • Posts: 2,253

My P600 was delivered by Amazon 16 days ago, and I just realised that I have missed their 10 day return deadline...I discovered this flaky mode dial issue a bit too late, it seems.

I have found that this flicking around happens when the dial is in Auto mode, especially after the camera is switched on.  The mode on the screen changes to Scene mode suddenly, and then back.  Sometimes, it may go up to the Night Portrait Mode or whatever comes next after Scene.  This issue is not present in any of the PASM modes, and I haven't tried the other modes as I prefer to use it in A and M modes.

This doesn't seem to be about the camera trying to select different scenes - it's switching the mode of operation entirely, but only momentarily - it looks very much like a mode dial quality issue.  I have also seen the playback mode being exited forcefully due to this 'mode switch', even when I haven't touched the top dial.

I guess I'll have to take the camera to the Nikon service centre now, and hope for a replacement.

davelok's gear list:davelok's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +21 more
mapet New Member • Posts: 1

My husband and I both have p600s. They have both developed the switching problem. I have been in touch with Nikon who can't replicate the problem but suggested resetting. Also tried switching off auto scene selector but problem occurs in auto mode. Now also flashing up 'use flash' in full daylight! Camera seems to have developed mind of its own. Am about to send mine back!

davelok

And now I've started to see this behaviour in M mode as well!  There seems to be a serial production issue in this camera!

Nikon Coolpix P600 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon EOS 70D Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A +21 more

I've had the same problem. I sent it to Precision Camera in January. They replaced the shutter button assembly and updated the software. It worked for 10 days before it started to do it again. Nikon emailed a prepaid shipping label and I sent it back to Precision with a note saying it may last a day or ten minutes after being reset. They put it in repair and out the same day and said it checked out ok. I was livid and called Nikon and said it didn't work right when  I sent it I don't think flying to CN and back will fix  it. Four days later we had time to use it and it started again. So another prepaid shipping label and my plea to FIX IT this time we'll see what they do.

Unhappy customer. The camera has basically been useless for two months.

davelok

Strangely enough, mine's been behaving itself since the previous post.

HiNik New Member • Posts: 2

I have just noticed the same problem while reviewing previously taken pictures. All of a sudden I see the mode changing around and it goes back to camera mode. I do leave the mode switch on Auto and this happened right after I lost the lens cap. Perhaps it would not happen if the cap were on? I'm going to get a new cap now.

I personally don't know how the lens cap would have anything to do with it. My lens cap is always on when not in use. Mine does it after being turned on and then trying to zoom.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads