Annyone using the LEICA APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH?

Started Nov 25, 2014 | Discussions
Marve Almar
Marve Almar Regular Member • Posts: 142
Annyone using the LEICA APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH?

Hi guys!

I've got a reasonably priced LEICA APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH on hand and I'm considering buying it, but I don't really find any experiences with this combined with A7 r/s. I see a lot of people saying it is good, but it looks like very few of them have tested it.

I'm pretty much covered today with both the Sony ZA 85/1.4 and the Zeiss 100 mm Makro Planar, but I like to test new stuff and the pricing on this thing wasn't bad. Still, I don't want to buy it if it isn't good.

Gary H Senior Member • Posts: 2,543
Re: Annyone using the LEICA APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH?

I have the A7, 100 mm Makro Planar (C/Y) and the 90 mm Leica. I use my M-Hexanon 90 mm the most. The Zeiss is one of the best lenses that I have used and the Leica is in the same class, but size of the M-Hexanon is important to me as well as the built in lens hood. I use the Leica for speed and smaller size than the Zeiss, but I suspect that Sony or Zeiss will give us a couple of native lenses in 2015.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 +28 more
Marve Almar
OP Marve Almar Regular Member • Posts: 142

Thanks for your response!

Yes, I am aware that there will be FE lenses soon and I assume there will be some good ones as well. I can't really defend buying the Summicron because I need it, only because I want it and because I get a good deal on it:-|

It would still be nice to hear more experiences on the A7 r/s with the 90 mm Summicron AA.

LAbrewin
LAbrewin Regular Member • Posts: 332

I use the 90 APO on a Sony A7 and it works as well as it did when I had the opportunity to shoot with it on a Leica M - it's excellent from wide open as you would expect, and resolves gobs of detail stopped down.  The only minor issue that would ever come up is that it can flare a bit when shooting into the sun.

Shot at something like f4

Wide open

Wide open again

eazizisaid
eazizisaid Regular Member • Posts: 325

Hello,

I do have this lens. It's a superb portrait lens ! Very sharp wide open with very little CA. (I don't have pictures of it on me right now). Though i would love to have an autofocus version of it (dreaming) because the only minus is that it's heavy and it takes "efforts" to go from close to infinity, fortunatly and considering the usage, you won't need to do it a lot often.

Another thing, it's a beauty !

How much you'll pay for it ? It's a 4k brand new !

eazizisaid's gear list:eazizisaid's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 50mm F1.8
Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954
Awesome detail in the Horse shot !

Hard to beat.
Not totally sold on the Bokeh, but.
Will this always be an either/or choice with these lenses ?

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R A3000 +26 more
LAbrewin
LAbrewin Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Awesome detail in the Horse shot !

I'd say the bokeh is usually pretty smooth but the fine detail in the background really made things look busy- that's probably the worst I've seen it. Worst I typically see is it can look a bit specular.  It's definitely no Minolta 135 STF though.

Ron Poelman
Ron Poelman Veteran Member • Posts: 7,954
Thank you for that.

I'm off down the cheapskate trail myself (135 Zuiko so far, $50 bucks),
so it's nice to see how the other half lives.
Still, love that fine detail !

-- hide signature --

Ron.
Volunteer, what could possibly go wrong ?

Ron Poelman's gear list:Ron Poelman's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H2 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony SLT-A57 NEX5R A3000 +26 more
Marve Almar

Thanks for all your responses and effort guys. I really appreciate it!

I find the lens and the Leica feel really exiting and I ended up buying it. I will pick it up on Sunday and will pay around 1700 USD for it (in another currency). I already sold my CZ85/1.4 to finance part of it. I guess I will regret it since that was a really nice lens as well.

I also saw the comment with the 135 STF and I just have to say that I really love that lens. I sold it a while ago, but looking back at the pictures I kind of regret it. It was the sharpest lens I ever owned with a really smooth bokeh. However, I found it to be to dark most of the time and ended up selling it.

jedidentite Regular Member • Posts: 222

I did the same thing, selling my cz 85 for the leica 90 f2, and dont regret it. Yes i loved the 85 and the af but it was too big for the a7 with adapter.

Steven-T
Steven-T Veteran Member • Posts: 3,411

Marve Almar wrote:

Hi guys!

I've got a reasonably priced LEICA APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH on hand and I'm considering buying it, but I don't really find any experiences with this combined with A7 r/s. I see a lot of people saying it is good, but it looks like very few of them have tested it.

I'm pretty much covered today with both the Sony ZA 85/1.4 and the Zeiss 100 mm Makro Planar, but I like to test new stuff and the pricing on this thing wasn't bad. Still, I don't want to buy it if it isn't good.

The 90AA is THE portrait lens for my M9 and A7R. But it's a bit heavy and bulky.

For small and light, one can't beat the Elmar 90/4 (and the 135/4), from the '50/'60. They are selling used for about $400/$500 for clean glass, and about $150 for bargain.  The bonus is that you can unscrew-&-revrse-screw the "front component" to become a "macro" lens.  Worth a look.

Steven

Steven-T's gear list:Steven-T's gear list
Leica M9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony a7R II +6 more
Marve Almar

jedidentite wrote:

I did the same thing, selling my cz 85 for the leica 90 f2, and dont regret it. Yes i loved the 85 and the af but it was too big for the a7 with adapter.

Good to hear. I don't think I will miss the rather sluggish AF, but who knows. The EVF has really made me appreciate a good MF lens.

Marve Almar

Steven-T wrote:

The 90AA is THE portrait lens for my M9 and A7R. But it's a bit heavy and bulky.

For small and light, one can't beat the Elmar 90/4 (and the 135/4), from the '50/'60. They are selling used for about $400/$500 for clean glass, and about $150 for bargain. The bonus is that you can unscrew-&-revrse-screw the "front component" to become a "macro" lens. Worth a look.

Steven

Thanks! A f4 lens is too slow for most of my use. Anyway, I bought the 90 AA now and hope it will be a happy relationship:-)

Sidath Senanayake Regular Member • Posts: 137

I'm trying to make the same decision now. Do you have any thoughts from having the lens for 2 months you could share?

Sidath Senanayake's gear list:Sidath Senanayake's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony RX1R II Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +8 more
Lightshow
Lightshow Veteran Member • Posts: 7,656

Sidath Senanayake wrote:

I'm trying to make the same decision now. Do you have any thoughts from having the lens for 2 months you could share?

Good lens, very sharp, beautifully made, hard to go wrong.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/tags/leicam902cronapoasph/

-- hide signature --

I don't have any AF lenses, so if I want a picture, I have to do more than squeeze a button.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/lightshow-photography/
My lenses:
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/viewprofile.php?Action=viewprofile&username=LightShow
You can't depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus.
Mark Twain

Lightshow's gear list:Lightshow's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7R Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar +20 more
Marve Almar

Sidath Senanayake wrote:

Yes I will try to share my experience. As mentioned I had the Sony CZ 85/1.4 (which I sold) and the Zeiss 100 mm MP (which I kept).

The drawing from the Cron AA is a little different from the Zeiss MP. I think I prefer the Zeiss, but I'm not sure (sometimes it is the opposite). I also find the Zeiss a tiny bit sharper, but the Cron is plenty sharp as well. The Zeiss MP is also easier to manual focus with focus peaking, could this be because of the micro contrast?

The main advantage with the Leica is the size, which is why it is stuck on one of my cameras most of the time. It is not too much bigger than the ZA 55/1.8 (but much heavier). If I have the Cron AA on one camera and the Voigtlander 40/1.4 on the other I have a pretty small package that cover most of what I need.

I kept both the Cron AA and the Zeiss MP because I could afford it but if I had to choose between them I would keep the Zeiss MP.

Gary H Senior Member • Posts: 2,543

I'm in total agreement, I would also keep the Zeiss MP.  Mine was purchased new a few years ago from a camera store in Australia.  The amazing thing about this is that it was for my Contax RTSIII.  They stopped making that lens years ago.

Gary H's gear list:Gary H's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a7 +28 more
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 36,164

Marve Almar wrote:

Comparison with the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 on the a7R: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4200

By itself on the a7R: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4200 Best aperture is f/8.

It's a very good match for the camera. The 85mm f/1.4 Otus, at about the same price new, is a better performer, but considerably heavier and larger.

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=8037

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II +1 more
Section10
Section10 Senior Member • Posts: 1,543

I knew that guy and guitar looked familiar.

Section10's gear list:Section10's gear list
Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Nikon D4 Sony a9 Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads