What USB cable to use for PictBridge? Is Mini-B to Standard-B cable available?

Started Nov 25, 2014 | Questions
l_d_allan
l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093
What USB cable to use for PictBridge? Is Mini-B to Standard-B cable available?

I'd like to print directly from my Canon DSLR to a Canon printer at an upcoming Christmas / Santa event. My understanding is that the PictBridge standard enables this.

However, I'm baffled on how to actually connect the two devices. The printer has a "Standard-B" USB connector, and the camera has a "Mini-B" USB connector. I've never encountered such a cable.

According to the Wiki sub-section on USB connector types , such a cable is considered non-standard .

Huh?

Would I have to find an adapter cable that could fit between the two cables, so I'd have a total of three cables (or two cables and an adapter)? If it exists?

l_d_allan's gear list:l_d_allan's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Howard Moftich Veteran Member • Posts: 9,876
Re: What USB cable to use for PictBridge? Is Mini-B to Standard-B cable available?

are you absolutely sure about those connectors?

How about this cable combined w/ a 'standard' mini-B to male cable?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28069

l_d_allan
OP l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093
Re: What USB cable to use for PictBridge? Is Mini-B to Standard-B cable available?

Howard Moftich wrote:

are you absolutely sure about those connectors?

99% sure. Neither the camera nor the printer have the typical "Standard-A" connector such as what plugs into desktop computer USB ports. From the pictures in the Wiki article , it appears the camera has a "Mini-B" connector. The printer connector is definitely a "Standard-B" connector.

How about this cable combined w/ a 'standard' mini-B to male cable?

http://www.cablestogo.com/product/28069

It doesn't seem to match what I'm looking for. The Standard-A looks ok for to plug into the printer, but the other end with a "Male-A" is probably not suitable.

Also, 3' would be pretty short, although I suppose the vendor would have longer versions.

I wonder if my Canon 6d with wireless could "talk directly" to a recent Canon printer like the Pro-100. My understanding is the recent printers have WiFi. Or not?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ47 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 600D +27 more
markkuk Contributing Member • Posts: 733

l_d_allan wrote:

However, I'm baffled on how to actually connect the two devices. The printer has a "Standard-B" USB connector, and the camera has a "Mini-B" USB connector. I've never encountered such a cable.

That's because such a cable would never work. USB interface is asymmetrical, there must be a host at one end and a peripheral device at other end. Direct connection between two peripheral devices isn't possible. A PictBridge-compatible printer must have an A-type USB connector so that it can act as an USB host.

If your printer doesn't have a connector for a standard USB A-B (including mini/micro-B) cable it's not PictBridge-compatible and you can't solve your problem with any exotic nonstandard cables.

markkuk's gear list:markkuk's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +4 more
l_d_allan
OP l_d_allan Veteran Member • Posts: 5,093

markkuk wrote:

l_d_allan wrote:

However, I'm baffled on how to actually connect the two devices. The printer has a "Standard-B" USB connector, and the camera has a "Mini-B" USB connector. I've never encountered such a cable.

That's because such a cable would never work. USB interface is asymmetrical, there must be a host at one end and a peripheral device at other end. Direct connection between two peripheral devices isn't possible. A PictBridge-compatible printer must have an A-type USB connector so that it can act as an USB host.

If your printer doesn't have a connector for a standard USB A-B (including mini/micro-B) cable it's not PictBridge-compatible and you can't solve your problem with any exotic nonstandard cables.

Your reply seems compatible with "ground truth" as far as what is really happening, but I would think the camera is supposed to be capable of acting as the "HOST".

So ... PictBridge doesn't work?

Hmmmm ... IIRC, my Pro-9000-2 had an actual USB-like connector on the front, in addition to the USB Standard-B on the back. I don't have a Pro-9000-2 where I can look at it.

More hmmmmm ... I took a look at my relatively recent Canon MP990 , and it does have a Standard-A USB connector on the front, in addition to the Standard-P USB connector and RJ-45 on the back. It might actually work. There is an icon on the front of chassis that might be a symbol for PictBridge.

My speculation is that PictBridge may have "gone away" on the most recent generation of inkjet printers, and WiFi is the replacement. Or not?

tonyfirshman New Member • Posts: 2

It is easy to see if it is pictbridge compatible.  The USB port (on the front of my Canon Pro9000II) has two symbols that look like two quote marks (one inverted).  You just then connect a usb cable to a port on the device (camera etc) which has similar symbol.

However when I connect my Rigol oscilloscope to my Canon Pro 9000II, I  get a flashing orange error, and the oscilloscope cannot find the printer.

Clearly not a trouble free system!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads