RRS Base Plate for X100T - DIY

Started Nov 20, 2014 | Discussions
DanO986 New Member • Posts: 15
RRS Base Plate for X100T - DIY

I previously owned an X100, but was frustrated with the focusing performance. Yesterday, I received my new X100T and am DELIGHTED with it. Every aspect so far. I had a Really Right Stuff base plate for the X100 and hoped to use it on my new X100T. When I went to install it, I realized that the fit was not what I expected. Upon further examination, I discovered that the base of the X100T is about .032" thicker on the left side than was my previous camera. Not to be deterred, I modified the original base by grinding away the metal in conflict using a dremel tool. I finished up by coloring black with a Sharpie, although there may be much better material to "repaint" over the part that I ground away. The base is anodized aluminum.

BTW, RRS does not have a base yet for the X100T, but they do show the same base for the X100 and X100S.

This is where I ground away the excess material

The final product.

This saved me from doing without a baseplate for awhile to use on my new X100T with my Arca-Swiss tripod mount.

Fujifilm X100T
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: RRS Base Plate for X100T - DIY

Fuji has a baseplate/grip.

FUHGX100T

Just a Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,368

ryan2007 wrote:

FUHGX100T

Is it really called like that?

That's really funny if you read the G like a K.....

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more
ronner Junior Member • Posts: 28

Brilliant, creative solution!!!!!  Nice job:  saved money, saved waiting for a new RRS base plate, and have a little custom element for your new tool!!!!

ronner's gear list:ronner's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Leica Q Fujifilm X70 Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-T1 +1 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

Just a Photographer wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

FUHGX100T

Is it really called like that?

That's really funny if you read the G like a K.....

Ah,

Anyway, got that code from the B&H product page for accessories. You can just enter X100t or whatever camera and lots associated with it appear.

OP DanO986 New Member • Posts: 15

Has anyone tried the Fuji Base referenced in the previous posting? My experience makes me wonder if it's really compatible with the "T". Hopefully Fuji has it's act together and it really is. I was surprised when I tried my RRS base to find a difference between the T and the previous S and original models. Let us know if you have a new X100T and have the base. Thanks.

Hanno van Tartu Regular Member • Posts: 381
Chinese Base Plate for X100T - DIY

DanO986 wrote:

I previously owned an X100, but was frustrated with the focusing performance. Yesterday, I received my new X100T and am DELIGHTED with it. Every aspect so far. I had a Really Right Stuff base plate for the X100 and hoped to use it on my new X100T. When I went to install it, I realized that the fit was not what I expected. Upon further examination, I discovered that the base of the X100T is about .032" thicker on the left side than was my previous camera. Not to be deterred, I modified the original base by grinding away the metal in conflict using a dremel tool. I finished up by coloring black with a Sharpie, although there may be much better material to "repaint" over the part that I ground away. The base is anodized aluminum.

I bought a much cheaper Chinese X100 base plate (actually an L plate with grip) off e-Bay. I received it yesterday and to my horror it did not fit my X100T -- in a different place. The right-hand 'grip' of the X100T is apparently a little longer than on previous models.

Luckily, I remembered having read your post. I borrowed a Dremel tool at work and fixed the problem. (I removed the grip too.) I use on aluminium the wash-proof clothes marker. It is not as good as anodizing but good enough for a cheap job. The plate looks and functions like a much more expensive one.

Hanno van Tartu's gear list:Hanno van Tartu's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X100T Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 +37 more
tr573 Senior Member • Posts: 1,329
Re: Chinese Base Plate for X100T - DIY

Hanno van Tartu wrote:

DanO986 wrote:

I bought a much cheaper Chinese X100 base plate (actually an L plate with grip) off e-Bay. I received it yesterday and to my horror it did not fit my X100T -- in a different place. The right-hand 'grip' of the X100T is apparently a little longer than on previous models.

Luckily, I remembered having read your post. I borrowed a Dremel tool at work and fixed the problem. (I removed the grip too.) I use on aluminium the wash-proof clothes marker. It is not as good as anodizing but good enough for a cheap job. The plate looks and functions like a much more expensive one.

You can fit the handgrip also if you grind down its edge with the dremel (I did it with the chinese grip/plate set for mine)

I put black electric tape over my ground metal after though, so that there wouldn't be any rough/sharp metal making contact with the body and marking it up.  Sanded it down as best I could but I wasn't going to spend an hour polishing aluminum to a mirror shine.

Hanno van Tartu Regular Member • Posts: 381
Re: Chinese Base Plate for X100T - DIY

tr573 wrote:

Hanno van Tartu wrote:

DanO986 wrote:

You can fit the handgrip also if you grind down its edge with the dremel (I did it with the chinese grip/plate set for mine)

I put black electric tape over my ground metal after though, so that there wouldn't be any rough/sharp metal making contact with the body and marking it up. Sanded it down as best I could but I wasn't going to spend an hour polishing aluminum to a mirror shine.

I agree with the polishing remark. The clothes marker does not stay on polished surfaces. On slightly rough sanded surface it is a little better. It wears off from edges. Some of my aluminium pieces are polished and they look good imo.

The grip, though, I threw away and ground down the corresponding few overhanging mm of the ground plate. I wanted the minimum amount of additional bulk on my camera.

You are so right about the soft/sensitive surface of the top and bottom plates of the camera. At least my silver/grey version is sensitive even to the nylon straps. I suppose the chuff marks add to the retro look

Hanno van Tartu's gear list:Hanno van Tartu's gear list
Nikon D700 Fujifilm X100T Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D810 +37 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads