Great lens at it's price point!

Started Nov 17, 2014 | User reviews
Vincent65
Vincent65 New Member • Posts: 3
Great lens at it's price point!

I have used the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR (FX format lens) with my Nikon D7100 (DX format camera) for a couple of years now, and I am quite pleased with it.

The lens has primarily been used at indoor swim meets, and I have had some good results. Due to its plastic construction the lens is light, it is fast focussing, and it is pretty sharp in the mid-range (100-200mm)! The zoom is a tad sticky, and I have had the lens occasionally search in auto-focus, likely due to low (indoor pool) light conditions. Generally the autofocus is fast and precise. I have had some water splashes on the lens barrel with no affect to it's performance. Other than swim meets, I have taken some nice images of surfers and the occasional bird.

Osprey hovering above it's nest

butterfly - one of many swim meet images

*RAW images were post processed with Lightroom

Especially for swim meets I would love to try the Nikon AFS 70-200MM F2.8 VR, but at 4+ times the cost, I think what I have, has done the trick quiet well. For the price, the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR has not disappointed me!

Vincent65's gear list:Vincent65's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR
Telephoto zoom lens • Nikon F (FX) • 2161
Announced: Aug 9, 2006
Vincent65's score
Average community score
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Windancer
Windancer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560
Re: Great lens at it's price point!

Vincent65 wrote:

butterfly - one of many swim meet images

Especially for swim meets I would love to try the Nikon AFS 70-200MM F2.8 VR, but at 4+ times the cost, I think what I have, has done the trick quiet well. For the price, the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR has not disappointed me!

Vincent

I was just curious, what body were you using this lens on? I photograph a lot of water polo with my 300/4 and my 70-200/2.8 lens on either my D700 or D300.

Terry

Goalie

-- hide signature --

Graham Fine Art Photography
http://www.pbase.com/windancer
Remember, it's not the CPU that's in your camera that makes great images, it's the one located about 4" behind the viewfinder that does.
Disclaimer: This e-mail is intended to impart a sense of humor. Given e-mail's inability to carry inflections, tone and facial expressions it may fail miserably in its intent. The sender acknowledges the limitations of the technology and assigns to the software in which this message was composed any ill feelings that may arise.

Windancer's gear list:Windancer's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D100 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 +21 more
PSCL1 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,770

First, welcome to DP Review and to this Forum.  If you don't take too many of us too seriously, this is a great website! 

Thanks for the input and the very nice pictures.  However, this lens has been around for quite some time and you will find that countless past threads have discussed it and compared it to its third party counterparts.  A Search might give you additional perspectives on its pros and cons.

Welcome aboard!

PSCL1's gear list:PSCL1's gear list
Leica X1 Nikon D80 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Sony Alpha NEX-3N +27 more
Vincent65
OP Vincent65 New Member • Posts: 3

Hi Terry!
Nice images.  As for your question; I used my D7100 for both shots posted.
Take care,
Vincent

Vincent65's gear list:Vincent65's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +4 more
lanefAU
lanefAU Veteran Member • Posts: 6,348

The 70-300 is indeed a great lens for its price and light weight.

Even at 300 mm, I am getting sharp pics.

lanefAU's gear list:lanefAU's gear list
Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Canon G1 X II Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads