7D/7D MkII grip comparison photos

Started Nov 8, 2014 | Discussions
drippinDodger Regular Member • Posts: 126
7D/7D MkII grip comparison photos

My new 7D MkII kit has arrived in three separate deliveries throughout this week - the body only, an extra LP-E6N battery, and finally the grip arrived just today.  The are a number of differences between the BG-E7 grip for the 7D and the new BG-E16 grip for the 7D MkII.  Honestly, I was so excited to be able order the MkII that I just added the new grip to my shopping cart without looking at any of the specs or images of it.  I was somewhat surprised when I unboxed it today to see how much different it is than the BG-E7 that I've been using on my 7D for the past five years.  When holding the camera in the normal landscape orientation one doesn't really notice the difference, but once you flip the camera/grip pair into the vertical orientation it feels quite a bit different.  The BG-E7 grip is like a brick with rounded edges.  The front edge of the new BG-E16 grip has added an angle to the leading edge that, in my opinion, is easier to hold and provides a more secure feel.  I can see it being a bit easier to hold for those with smaller hands.  I've just used the new grip for a few minutes out in the yard this afternoon but will be using it paired with the new MkII during a trip to the Kingsbury Air Fair tomorrow and during our daughter's soccer game on Sunday afternoon.

Pardon the makeshift backdrop used in the images below.  I simply used two sheets of poster board on our kitchen table and took the images with my MkII mounted on my tripod and using my 580 EXII flash.

From the top view you can see that the BG-E16 on the left is slightly larger than the BG-E7 on the right.

From the bottom you can see the profile has changed a bit.

Here's a view from the right end with the controls for vertical, portrait orientation use.  Not the repositioning of the camera battery door.  Rather than sitting in a pocket in the BG-E7 grip the camera battery compartment cover actually uses the door hinge and latch to secure itself to the post that feeds into the camera body.

Here's a view of the two grips from the back right.

Here's a left end profile view of the two grips.  You can see how the front leading edge us much less block like on the BG-E16 on the left.

Here's an view from the front left.   You can clearly see how the leading edge is now angled.

Batteries in the BG-E16 no longer load from the back.  Instead they are installed in a carrier that slides out of the left side of the grip.  Pulling down on the latch and giving it a quarter turn releases the carrier and allows it to be pulled out of the grip.  The grip comes with carriers for both the LP-E6/E6N batteries as well as for AA batteries.  Oddly enough, the AA carrier was the one installed in the grip out of the box.

Here's a view showing how the batteries fit into the carrier.

Here's the left side view with the battery carrier removed.

Here's the back side view of the new BG-E16 grip showing the joystick and the flip switch for selection of autofocus areas.

Back right view of the BG-E16.  The labels for the buttons are all the same color on the new grip.

Here's a view of the camera communication pins on the post that fits inside the camera body.  There are 20 pins on the new grip compared to 13 on the BG-E7.

This shot shows the leading edge profile.

The leading edge of the new BG-E16 from front right.

Here's the battery compartment on the BG-E7 grip.  The LP-E6 batteries are inserted into the compartment just like they are inserted into the camera body itself.  The two latches on left and right sides match those seen within the camera body and allow for quick removal of either battery.  One can easily remove a battery with one hand on this grip.  That won't be possible with the carrier configuration in the new BG-E16.

Here's a view showing two batteries inserted into the compartment.  The BG-E7 also comes with a carrier for AA batteries - but I've never used it myself.  I believe it's still in the box back deep inside one of our closets.

Here's a view from back right of the BG-E7 grip.

And from front right.

Here's the view from the left end showing it's mostly block like configuration.

Here are the top pins on the BG-E7.  13 pins are seen here.

drippinDodger's gear list:drippinDodger's gear list
Lytro Light Field 16GB Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +10 more
Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steve Grodin
Steve Grodin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,981
Re: 7D/7D MkII grip comparison photos

Very nice job with the comparison photos.

Steve

-- hide signature --
Sports Shooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,420

Steve Grodin wrote:

Very nice job with the comparison photos.

Steve

+1.

Never liked the Canon grips even though I had one with each xxD I owned. The only grip that really looked good on the camera was the one for the 10D. Otherwise the grip for the 40D & 7D looks like ' a foreign body' attached to the camera.

Nikon grips look much better and make the camera + grip look like one unit. I am not a troll and don't own Nikon cameras

Sports Shooter's gear list:Sports Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon 6D Mark II +15 more
AusPhil Regular Member • Posts: 497

The nature of the design of the carrier makes me wonder if they have left the option of a single larger battery available for the future.
Curious as to how similar it would be to a 1DX battery.

-- hide signature --

Phil
Canon 50D, A550, T-90, T-70, A-1
Kodak DX4900, P850

AusPhil's gear list:AusPhil's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Canon PowerShot A550 Kodak EasyShare P850 +7 more
birdbrain
birdbrain Veteran Member • Posts: 3,526

Good job!

I was thinking about a grip for my original 7D but I found that I had to have the 500 f4 II well pushed forward to balance just a 7D, that adding a grip would make it even harder to balance.

-- hide signature --

Phil
I wondered why the ball kept getting bigger, then it hit me.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/philthebirdbrain/sets/

birdbrain's gear list:birdbrain's gear list
Sony RX10 II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +13 more
Blue II
Blue II Veteran Member • Posts: 3,875

The carrier design for the battery is the same as it is for the 5D3 grip. I think that's just Canon's new way of doing their grips. I wouldn't count on a single large capacity battery.

Thanks for doing the comparison, I have my mark 2 already but my grip hasn't shipped yet.

-- hide signature --

Steve

Blue II's gear list:Blue II's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS RP
jckk Regular Member • Posts: 192
Another thanks for posting this

Along with others, I appreciate the time and effort you took to post this.

James

OP drippinDodger Regular Member • Posts: 126

Thanks everyone.  I'm glad you found the photos useful.

Lytro Light Field 16GB Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM +10 more
Loren Charif Veteran Member • Posts: 3,717

Very well written and illustrated, and very informative.  Thanks for taking the time and effort to do this!

Loren

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,521

what a great writeup!

it appears like there is a gasket on the 7DII grip near where it slides into the battery area to seal the camera - is that actually a gasket there?

Thanks.

Yes, there is a gasket on the perimeter of the battery carrier that seals up against the grip when it's inserted and latched into place.

Glenn Bartley
Glenn Bartley Forum Member • Posts: 89

Nice. Stoked to get mine soon!

Severian The Lame Contributing Member • Posts: 550

Blue II wrote:

The carrier design for the battery is the same as it is for the 5D3 grip. I think that's just Canon's new way of doing their grips. I wouldn't count on a single large capacity battery.

They changed the way the batteries are loaded in the grip to accommodate the addition of the joystick and AF selection lever. Same thing with the 5D3 (but no AF lever of course).

Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more
Severian The Lame Contributing Member • Posts: 550

drippinDodger wrote:

Thanks.

Yes, there is a gasket on the perimeter of the battery carrier that seals up against the grip when it's inserted and latched into place.

That gasket is, to me, the most significant difference in the two grips. And indicative of Canon's commitment to weather sealing in the new camera. See Roger Cicala's breakdown of the 7D2's enhanced weather sealing. One of the weakness of externally gripped cameras is the sealing between the body and the grip. That joint is a point of ingress for moisture even when the body and grip are individually well sealed. The 7D2 is the first Canon that I know of to have such a gasket; certainly the 7D and 5D3 don't have it.

Severian The Lame's gear list:Severian The Lame's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS M Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +11 more

My apologies, I misunderstood the original question.  There are gaskets on both the battery carrier where it fits into the left side of the grip (which is what I thought was the question being asked) as well as at the base of the post that fits up into the battery compartment of the camera body.  I wanted to wait until I got back home from work and could detach the grip from the camera body before posting another reply.

VA-ArtG
VA-ArtG Regular Member • Posts: 258

Thank you for your excellent comparison photos of the two grips.

I had debated the need for the grip (had grip for 7D). Your posting, along with the weather sealing gaskets, etc. has changed my mind and I now intend to order the grip.

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

'There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care who gets the credit.'
-Philip Hyde (1922-2006)

VA-ArtG's gear list:VA-ArtG's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 35mm F2 IS USM +2 more
Tyr-Sog Contributing Member • Posts: 921

Would be nice to see the grip on the 7dMKii with different views.

Tyr-Sog's gear list:Tyr-Sog's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Special Edition
David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 806

Great post!
I currently have the 7D and the BG-E7, and have been slightly annoyed by the fact that the shutter release on the battery grip is slightly softer (easier to press) than the shutter release on the camera itself. This has caused me to fire off vertical shots by accident, since my finger is most used to the camera shutter release.
So, my question is, have you noticed any difference in feel of the shutter releases for the 7D mark II and the BG-E16?

David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +1 more

I noticed the same difference in shutter button feel on my 7D/BG-E7 combo.  The shutter button on the new style grip and on the 7DII are very similar; there is no discernible difference between the two.

David Naylor
David Naylor Contributing Member • Posts: 806

drippinDodger wrote:

I noticed the same difference in shutter button feel on my 7D/BG-E7 combo. The shutter button on the new style grip and on the 7DII are very similar; there is no discernible difference between the two.

Ok, great to hear that. Can't wait to try out the 7D ii and the new grip. Hoping to place my order within the next few weeks.

David Naylor's gear list:David Naylor's gear list
Sony a7 III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sigma 135mm F1.8 Art +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads