Hosemaster light brush - Painting with light

Started Dec 7, 2002 | Discussions
Rianeli Regular Member • Posts: 334
Hosemaster light brush - Painting with light

Has anyone heard of a Hosemaster light brush and is so where can I get one.

Thanks

Rianeli's gear list:Rianeli's gear list
Canon EOS-1D C
Bern Caughey Senior Member • Posts: 2,825
Hosemaster

The Hosemaster is probaly the best of the light painting kits & they are available from camera stores that cater to pros. I haven't seen them in awhile, but I imagine they are still in buisness.

Have you done alot of this work? This has been going on for a long time before Hosemaster & you don't need to spend a bundle to acheive it. Flashlights are great for the same effect, although the Hosemaster is more flexible.

Regards,
CLTHRS

Doug Brown Veteran Member • Posts: 3,948
DIY...

CLTHRS wrote:

The Hosemaster is probaly the best of the light painting kits &
they are available from camera stores that cater to pros. I haven't
seen them in awhile, but I imagine they are still in buisness.

Have you done alot of this work? This has been going on for a long
time before Hosemaster & you don't need to spend a bundle to
acheive it. Flashlights are great for the same effect, although the
Hosemaster is more flexible.

Regards,
CLTHRS

This is an interesting technique, light painting, but as CLTHRS said you don't need to go with a fibre optic set-up like the Hosemaster to attain it. In fact I've lit jewellry shots with a variety of maglites with hand made snoots attached. You can do portraits, although obviously some of the spontaneity is lost, and I've even done interiors with this technique. Used to rent a hand holdable focusing spot to paint in the highlights of the room, and do a diffused fill exposure with a Profoto pro globe bouncer overhead minus one and half stops. Did it at night, but after several exposures the light values in the windows build up to that beautiful cobalt blue. You can give quite a sophisticated treatment to an entire room with just one light. BTW: You have to remember not to stop down too much when using a diffusor w/ultra wide lenses as the discs etched into the glass of the filter can start to show in the image at some point.

The key to the lite hose 'look' is to do the fill exposure, anywhere from 1-2 stops down, with a diffusion filter in front of the lens. Then remove the filter for light painting the highlights. The blend of diffused and sharp detail gives the shot an interesting dimension.

They were quite popular in the early 90's but I think improving PhotoShop technique in the profession took some of the uniqueness out of this look as some aspects can be duplicated in post. It's quite expensive to purchase.
Try some small scale shots with a flashlight.

Doug B
Torontowide.com

DaveyP Regular Member • Posts: 272
Re: Hosemaster light brush - Painting with light

richard a wilson wrote:

Has anyone heard of a Hosemaster light brush and is so where can I
get one.

Thanks

Richard,

Calumet have the Hosemaster and accessories on their site http://www.calumetphoto.com

John

photolando Senior Member • Posts: 2,421
Now that there's Photoshop....

You can achieve the same effects with even better control. There is a lot, and I mean a lot, of trial and error using a Hosemaster, let alone the price of the device.

Dave Montizambert has two books out on lighting. In his first book he actually discusses painting with light using flashlights. However in his second one he discusses his technique using Photoshop. Both are available at amazon.com and finer book stores.

Mike

Gary Wang New Member • Posts: 1

I have the complete hosemaster system. please contact me if you would like to purchase it.

thanks,
gary

antonrobert New Member • Posts: 1

Is it still for sale?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads