Can't sell my X-E2- am I missing something?

Started Oct 26, 2014 | Discussions
Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543
Re: Some advice from an experienced seller.

mp2011 wrote:

I purchased it as a kit and have all of the original packaging. Wouldn't that make splitting it up a bad idea? I did consider that, and even have someone who would buy the kit lens.

I split up my X-E1 body plus lens kit when the XE-2 was released because I wanted to keep the zoom. I got $400 for the camera body from KEH with no concerns about the packaging - all they wanted with the body was the charger.

Given the current market value of the 18-55 zoom, I'd flog the body for whatever you can get and sell the lens separately (or keep it if you stay with Fuji)

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Sony RX100 V +134 more
Andy G
Andy G Regular Member • Posts: 461
Re: Can't sell my X-E2- am I missing something?

mp2011 wrote:

It seems like the consensus is that I am asking too much. I have purchased and sold a lot of cameras and lenses, and my expectations were based on those previous transactions. The $350 offered for the kit lens AND camera by my local camera store IS crazy though- I could get that for just the lens. I will lower my price and pursue even more possible places for selling.

And it is still absolutely true that this is the hugest "loss" (?)/difference between what I paid for a camera vs. what I am selling for. And I have fellow group members in private Fuji Facebook groups who were able to sell x-e2 bodies for substantially more than what I am looking at selling for. I guess I have not seen anyone sell the kit together, now that I think if it. Maybe that is an issue. And that I just have not been fortunate enough with timing to find a buyer. I will lower my price, and take this as a lesson to buy at the end of a product's life cycle and to buy used whenever possible. I did find the lenses so easy to sell, so I guess I am just surprised about the body.

You have my sympathy. With the current cashback deals here in the UK, I bought my new X-E2 body last week, for £429 after cashback.

I reckon if I was to sell my perfect 10 month old  X-E1, I would get £150 for it.

I have been looking for a mint XF60mm but even on eBay, sellers have no idea of an appropriate selling price, often asking as much, or more than, the £325, new, after cashback price the lens can be purchased for.

For me, no mint second hand gear should be priced more than 75% of the cheapest price around, including any cashback deals being offered by Fuji. Working on my figures, your body is worth $600 and the crazy price you paid is the premium for early ownership. We have all done it and it is a game I try not to play.

Good luck and try not take the trashy offers personally, it is easy to be offended by chancers.

Andy G's gear list:Andy G's gear list
Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,278

If it makes you feel any better, your better off then if you were to have bought a nikon.  A D600, DF, D800 are all selling for $1300+ less then their new msrp.  I bought my D600 used and its already lost $500 in value in just 8 months even though it has life time warranty on the shutter issue

If $900 is your goal, that should be easy.  I see X-E2 on fredmiranda pretty commonly around $600 and that 18-55 for $350-400   thats $950-1000.

From my perspective I think a lot of people want the 35mm F1.4 and they either save money by getting a used X-E1 or go for the flagship X-T1.  X-E2 seems to be in an awkard spot imho

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-A1 + 60mm F2.4
Nikon D600

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +2 more
win39 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,560
Re: Some advice from an experienced seller.

Lots of good information for a seller. The other thing that some people ignore is that an established store selling used equipment can offer some reassurance that they will stand behind the condition of what they sell or risk going out of business. You don't get that from an individual selling a camera. So the individual selling a camera needs to ask even less as an inducement to make up for the lack of good will that a store may have.

ljclark
ljclark Senior Member • Posts: 2,417
The Only Reason That Anything Doesn't Sell...

...Is that it is priced too high for the market.  That's true for hammers or high-rises.

People complain about fees on eBay, but I'm fine with them.  If you have an account, you can search on your equipment -- looking just at sold items.  That will tell you how that particular market is trending.

Then use a low starting price (10%-20%) of what you expect...That lures folks in on your week-long listing.  Then let the market decide.  Hook them with the low starting point and let them stew for a week.

Show good photos from many angles...None of this flash-on-camera-sitting-on-a-wood-floor stuff.  You want potential buyers to have a very clear idea what it is they are buying.  (And of someone is selling camera gear with crappy photos, what does that say?)  If you don't have a table tent, hang up some white sheets back, bottom, and sides.

People won't (or at least shouldn't) pay a private party the same price as some place like KEH is asking for the same gear.  You know what KEH is offering you and you can find out their selling price.  Your expectation should be somewhere between those two points.

ljclark's gear list:ljclark's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Sigma 50-150mm F2.8 EX DC APO OS HSM Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM +42 more
D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,610
That's what I do

I'm not thrilled with the ebay fees, but for me it has been the quickest and safest way to sell my gear unless I just happen to know someone that wants to buy my stuff. Checking the recently sold items similar to yours is important. My gear always sells quickly and at a reasonable or unexpected higher price. I sold my Olympus E-M1 (body only) for $899 within the last 2 weeks. I also sold a (newer version that has f/3.5 on the wide end) Panasonic 14-140mm lens for $560. It retails new for about $630 right now.

Good prices can be had. You just have to present it well and if possible, point people to a gallery of images you've made with the camera or lens. Always works well for me. Of course, SOME items just aren't in high demand so those will get lower prices unfortunately.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T30 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
jmczaja
jmczaja Regular Member • Posts: 228
Re: The Only Reason That Anything Doesn't Sell...

ljclark wrote:

People complain about fees on eBay, but I'm fine with them. If you have an account, you can search on your equipment -- looking just at sold items. That will tell you how that particular market is trending.

I haven't sold much stuff on ebay in a while but was appaled when i sold my xf14mm a month or so back. Ebay took 10% of the final price plus paypal fees. I can't believe anyone would be fine with that!

-- hide signature --
 jmczaja's gear list:jmczaja's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +5 more
OP mp2011 Regular Member • Posts: 126
Re: That's what I do

Well, it sold via Amazon for $835 last night. Lots of fees there, but I am just so glad it is over. I really am committed to buying used from here on out- especially mirrorless.

pcb_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 838

Realistic pricing and good photos will sell anything, in any legitimate sales space. Figuring out the realistic price takes a small amount of work, being happy with the realistic price is sometimes harder.

Checking completed auction prices on ebay, for equipment in similar condition to yours, is the quickest guide to actual paid prices. You can filter for new/used, you can rank by price or most recent sales. Most recent will help show market trends. There will always be a range, the most realistic view being you should be able to get the lower end of the range without too much trouble. Higher end of the range takes timing (sometimes) and luck.

It never hurts to check how much your item is selling for new in today's market. Retail prices do decrease during the product life cycle, but instant rebates also come and go, and can have an impact. If your item has a $150 IR this month, the used price may soften a bit. Rebates are market-specific and seldom (never?) universal, so selling in a space with int'l buyers is a help. A rebate in your home market will have little/no impact in other markets, unless those markets have similar rebates.

Also understand that any lens commonly bundled into a kit usually sells for considerably less than the new lens price. Few people are buying them new, and some who buy them in kits are flipping them immediately, happy if they get anything more than the body/lens differential. IE, body is $1,200, lens is $1,200, kit is $1,800; lens cost you only $600. Flip the lens for anything over $600 and your cost for the body is lessened. Doesn't matter if you paid $1,200 for your lens new and think you should be able to get $900 for it used, if the market is full of new kit lenses selling for $800+/-, your used one will sell for less. The Fuji 18-55mm seems to hold a higher used resale value than most of the Canikon kit lenses.

Lastly, with rare exceptions, digital camera bodies age in dog years. They lose value far quicker than most lenses, after 2yrs or so you might be lucky to still be able to retail it for half of what you paid.

pcb_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 838

Congrats! You beat the odds!

You'll take a smaller cash hit when you buy used, but percentage-wise used bodies keep depreciating, and may depreciate faster as they age. The faster you get out of a body, the less you lose.

Also keep in mind that most used items have no mfr's warranty, and with most lens repairs over $100 and most body repairs over $200, you could take a bigger hit if the item needs servicing for a mfr defect/warranty issue. Not common, but possible.

I buy most of my hardware used, so I'm not at all trying to say you're wrong, or change your mind. Just saying that, like most things in life, there's no free lunch.

mp2011 wrote:

Well, it sold via Amazon for $835 last night. Lots of fees there, but I am just so glad it is over. I really am committed to buying used from here on out- especially mirrorless.

Andy G

mp2011 wrote:

Excellent result.

Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon 85mm F1.8G Adobe Photoshop CS6 extended Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 +2 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,322

ljclark wrote:

...Is that it is priced too high for the market. That's true for hammers or high-rises.

People complain about fees on eBay, but I'm fine with them. If you have an account, you can search on your equipment -- looking just at sold items. That will tell you how that particular market is trending.

Then use a low starting price (10%-20%) of what you expect...That lures folks in on your week-long listing. Then let the market decide. Hook them with the low starting point and let them stew for a week.

Show good photos from many angles...None of this flash-on-camera-sitting-on-a-wood-floor stuff. You want potential buyers to have a very clear idea what it is they are buying. (And of someone is selling camera gear with crappy photos, what does that say?) If you don't have a table tent, hang up some white sheets back, bottom, and sides.

Excellent advice. Someone 'on the fence' about whether to buy or bid higher will get the following from really good photos of your camera etc. -

1. That the seller is being honest about the condition. The photos in effect say 'I have nothing to hide, have a good look'.

2. That the kind of seller who would keep the equipment that nice and take such meticulous photos is likely a responsible person who hasn't abused the equipment in any way.

Buttons252
Buttons252 Senior Member • Posts: 1,278

i am sure no one likes ebay/paypal taking 10% but its safer but for me its a piece of mind when selling items over the internet.  I have 240 100% positive feed back and from time to time someone tries to swindle me, ebay has always taken my side since I have a bunch of quality pictures / documentation and good packaging -- I document everything, even take a pictures of how I wrap it up for shipping.

-- hide signature --

Fuji X-A1 + 60mm F2.4
Nikon D600

Buttons252's gear list:Buttons252's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sigma sd Quattro Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 30mm F1.4 DC HSM Art +2 more
Clint Dunn Senior Member • Posts: 1,553
...because Fuji camera resale values suck.

As everyone has already pointed out you are asking WAY too much money for the camera/lens.  I can go on CL right now and buy a mint X-Pro1 for $500...a XE1 for $300.   This is the reason I will probably never sell my X-Pro1, as an early adapter I paid a mint and it just isn't worth selling it now.

All camera gear depreciates (except a few Leica examples), but for whatever reason the Fuji bodies especially are bad.  For years I have bought Canon bodies, used them for a year or two, sold them and bought a newer model.  The Fuji line just doesn't hold the resale value.  The problem is exasperated by the fact Fuji seems to offer heavy discounts on their various product within a very short time of said product going to market.

The flip side of course is that you can buy all kinds of excellent, barely used Fuji cameras for next to nothing!  I plan on buying a used X-Pro as a second body for this very reason...

-- hide signature --
 Clint Dunn's gear list:Clint Dunn's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Carl Zeiss C Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 ZM Leica SL 24-90mm F2.8-4 +1 more
jeffsvisions
jeffsvisions Senior Member • Posts: 1,734
Re: ...because Fuji camera resale values suck.

I've purchased and sold several used camera's . What I’m willing to pay is 50% off from privet party and 30% to 40% of from retailer of the original price. By the way I have always been able to buy or sell in 1 weeks time with those guide lines. Hope this helps you. I find auctions the best for buying and selling.

-- hide signature --

The best picture is the one you take.
Jeff

jeffsvisions's gear list:jeffsvisions's gear list
Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X20 +2 more
KariP
KariP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,165
A modern camera is NEVER an investment !

Especially not if you buy amateur gear. You can sell a camera when the price is right - and the right price is LOW

New models are produced so fast that a camera gets seriously outdated in 3 years in the market - of course the usability stays good and the camera produces nice images.  That does not disappear.   I do not even think selling my old 7D - but i can use it !

If you own a basic model of a basic family car - how much you do you expect to get from a 5 years old model ? 10% is off when you drive a new car from the shop to your home...

Old Leica could be an investment - IF you can find a collector

Buy a camera if you can use it for a longer period.  Lenses are easier to sell - if you have to.

-- hide signature --

Kari
SLR photography started in 1968, Canon DSLR cameras, lenses and now also a Fuji X-E1
60.21 N 24.86 E

KariP's gear list:KariP's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Fujifilm X-E3 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +14 more
gftphoto Regular Member • Posts: 206

mp2011 wrote:

So I am wondering if I am expecting too much? I initially hoped for $900. I paid $1299 in April. I took it to my local camera store, and they offered $350! That is insane. I contacted KEH, and they offered $650. What I have learned is that I don't think I will ever buy any photo equipment new again, especially mirrorless bodies.

Take the $650 and run!!

FujicaST605
FujicaST605 Regular Member • Posts: 462

LN- at KEH is $719.

If I buy gear form a private seller I expect to pay less than KEH, as there is more risk.

You're asking too much.

FujicaST605's gear list:FujicaST605's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Nikon 85mm F1.8G
Andy G

FujicaST605 wrote:

LN- at KEH is $719.

If I buy gear form a private seller I expect to pay less than KEH, as there is more risk.

You're asking too much.

You do realise he managed to sell it for $835 on Amazon?

Jim King
Jim King Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543

Andy G wrote:

FujicaST605 wrote:

LN- at KEH is $719.

You're asking too much.

You do realise he managed to sell it for $835 on Amazon?

The Greater Fool theory exemplified...

-- hide signature --

Jim King - Retired Colormonger - Suburban Detroit, Michigan, USA; GMT -4h (EDT)
Pentaxian for over 50 years.
There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey.
- John Ruskin
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
- Sir Winston Churchill
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.
- Albert Einstein

Jim King's gear list:Jim King's gear list
Pentax K-3 Leica M10 Pentax MX-1 Fujifilm X30 Sony RX100 V +134 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads