Can't sell my X-E2- am I missing something?

Started Oct 26, 2014 | Discussions
mp2011 Regular Member • Posts: 126
Can't sell my X-E2- am I missing something?

I have been trying to sell my X-E2 and kit lens for several weeks now. I have listed it here in the buy/sell forum, on a few photography forums I am part of, in several Facebook gear groups, in the three Fuji specific forums I am aware of, on my Instagram account, and on Amazon. It is in awesome condition, I have all of the original packing materials, I have perfect ebay and Amazon feedback.

So I am wondering if I am expecting too much? I initially hoped for $900. I paid $1299 in April. I took it to my local camera store, and they offered $350! That is insane. I contacted KEH, and they offered $650. What I have learned is that I don't think I will ever buy any photo equipment new again, especially mirrorless bodies. I did sell my two Fuji primes without much effort at all (and actually made money!). But I am shocked at how difficult I am finding it to sell this camera.

Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001
Re: Can't sell my X-E2- am I missing something?

mp2011 wrote:

I have been trying to sell my X-E2 and kit lens for several weeks now. I have listed it here in the buy/sell forum, on a few photography forums I am part of, in several Facebook gear groups, in the three Fuji specific forums I am aware of, on my Instagram account, and on Amazon. It is in awesome condition, I have all of the original packing materials, I have perfect ebay and Amazon feedback.

So I am wondering if I am expecting too much? I initially hoped for $900. I paid $1299 in April. I took it to my local camera store, and they offered $350! That is insane. I contacted KEH, and they offered $650. What I have learned is that I don't think I will ever buy any photo equipment new again, especially mirrorless bodies. I did sell my two Fuji primes without much effort at all (and actually made money!). But I am shocked at how difficult I am finding it to sell this camera.

Photography gear does not hold value more so when it gets discontinued and or goes on rebate.

Camera gear looses 50% value as soon as the return period for new gear ends which means the point you can not get 100% refund.

camera stores are a business and do not look at your camera as anything special. It is a dollar sign, it is how long it stays on a shelf and how much effort it takes for the camera store to re-sell.

it does not matter how much you paid new for a camera last month but what it costs today new. Next, your interpretation of condition may be accurate but it is still used.

You should always try to sell a camera with a lens it is easier to sell as a kit ready to go.

The xe-2 costs $800 body only new today. No one that knows better is paying $100 more than what it costs new for a used camera.

A fair price for this used is $300 - $400 if a camera store buys it. Privately $400 - $500.

In addition you need to look at eBay for completed auctions for your camera.  I'd call B&H photo to get a used price quote or use the online calculator.

57even Forum Pro • Posts: 13,799

mp2011 wrote:

Never buy a camera that has just been announced. All of them drop in retail price by 30% within six months, which is when I normally take the plunge.

Second hand prices are normally 50-70% of current retail (depending on condition). Check what they are selling for with current discounts and you'll see KEH offered you a good deal.

57even's gear list:57even's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2
AlphaLux
AlphaLux Forum Member • Posts: 70

They got for around 700-725 with extras on fredmiranda. That is one place where I've been able to sell every camera/lens I have put up there. It costs money for a membership to post in buy/sell but I when I consider the fees of eBay id say its worth it. Also a great place to buy too -- people are usually pretty realistic with prices
--
Brand new Tumblr dedicated to my life through the Sony a7
http://alphaetlux.tumblr.com/

AlphaLux
AlphaLux Forum Member • Posts: 70

Sorry no edit on mobile.

I also thought I'd mention I've actually sold an xe1, xe2, xt1, xf14,xf18, xf27, xf35, xf60, xf55-250 there with relative ease.
--

Ed B
Ed B Forum Pro • Posts: 10,315

AlphaLux wrote:

Sorry no edit on mobile.

I also thought I'd mention I've actually sold an xe1, xe2, xt1, xf14,xf18, xf27, xf35, xf60, xf55-250 there with relative ease.
--

You're right. The Fred Miranda site is a great place to buy and sell.

Bjrn SWE
Bjrn SWE Regular Member • Posts: 436

I world say that 50-60% of  the best on-line price you can get a new camera and lens today is more reasonable. The price you payed initially does not correapond to the current street price. This might be a bit different in your country of course.

Bjrn SWE's gear list:Bjrn SWE's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro
BillyInya
BillyInya Senior Member • Posts: 1,453

None of the X cameras are difficult to sell, you are just asking way too much, that's all.

BillyInya's gear list:BillyInya's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7000 Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 (IF) DX Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +8 more
Just a Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,368
Some advice from an experienced seller.

mp2011 wrote:

Unfortunately your expectation of what you can get for second hand gear are set way to high. It really doesn't matter if the camera is 6 month, 12 month or 18 month old. The age of your camera actually doesn't matter much. A 18 month old camera can have less shutter actuations then a 6 month old camera. All (camera's of the same model) will therefore sell for around the same price. Give or take it a few dollars. Second hand camera's will do between 40% to 65% new price depending upon the type of camera and its popularity amongst the crowd.

A store will give you around 30% to 35% of what your camera was worth initially. That is if it is still a current model that they know they can sell. So if they have offered you $350, then that price was reasonable.

I can understand that you think that price is not fair. However your camerastore is in the business to make money in the first place. They will probably sell it off at around the $600 to $700 dollar mark. Making a 250 to 300 dollar profit.

Yes a store makes more money on second hand gear then they make on new gear. But remember that they also take more risk in selling off second hand gear. It might be longer on the shelve, and it might be broken sooner with the risk that people will complain about your company selling of defect gear.

Now if a store will sell your camera off at $600 to $700 and you are asking $900. Who you gonna think is going to sell first? Next to the fact that people will have more faith buying from a store then buying from an unknown person.

I am pretty sure that if you advertise your camera gear for around $600 to $650, you will be able to sell. Also keep a little bit of room for negotiation. So if you advertise for 650 you probably get 600.

Good luck selling off your gear!

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more
dual12 Contributing Member • Posts: 960
Re: Some advice from an experienced seller.

You're asking too much, but definitely sell the camera and lens separately.  I've seen the 18-55 sell for slightly more than $400 on eBay.  Make sure the lens isn't on sale at retailers when you sell.

dual12's gear list:dual12's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +5 more
Spud0 Regular Member • Posts: 295

BillyInya wrote:

None of the X cameras are difficult to sell, you are just asking way too much, that's all.

Exactly - look around online and check eBay - it's pretty easy to figure out what a contemporary camera is worth.

If something isn't selling, its probably not the site's fault - its your asking price.

Spud0's gear list:Spud0's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
J Frank Parnell Regular Member • Posts: 276

BillyInya wrote:

Bingo. The only reasons items don't sell is because either not enough people know they are for sale or the price is too high.

J Frank Parnell's gear list:J Frank Parnell's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS
OP mp2011 Regular Member • Posts: 126

I purchased it as a kit and have all of the original packaging. Wouldn't that make splitting it up a bad idea? I did consider that, and even have someone who would buy the kit lens.

I have not tried Fred Miranda with this camera, as I did not anticipate I would have any trouble selling it and wanted to avoid paying for the membership. I will try it.

It seems like the consensus is that I am asking too much. I have purchased and sold a lot of cameras and lenses, and my expectations were based on those previous transactions. The $350 offered for the kit lens AND camera by my local camera store IS crazy though- I could get that for just the lens. I will lower my price and pursue even more possible places for selling.

And it is still absolutely true that this is the hugest "loss" (?)/difference between what I paid for a camera vs. what I am selling for. And I have fellow group members in private Fuji Facebook groups who were able to sell x-e2 bodies for substantially more than what I am looking at selling for. I guess I have not seen anyone sell the kit together, now that I think if it. Maybe that is an issue. And that I just have not been fortunate enough with timing to find a buyer. I will lower my price, and take this as a lesson to buy at the end of a product's life cycle and to buy used whenever possible. I did find the lenses so easy to sell, so I guess I am just surprised about the body.

britcam
britcam Senior Member • Posts: 2,464

mp2011 wrote:

I purchased it as a kit and have all of the original packaging. Wouldn't that make splitting it up a bad idea? I did consider that, and even have someone who would buy the kit lens.

The best advice I can give you is to spend time looking at eBay selling prices (& on other sites), for both the full kit (lens & body), and lens & body separately.

Do that over a few weeks and log the results.  Then you will know with a fair degree of certainty where the market is, and you can set your start prices and your pitch with some confidence of getting a sale.

-- hide signature --

Regards
Rich S (britcam)

britcam's gear list:britcam's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Ricoh GR Digital IV Fujifilm X-M1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
Ed B

mp2011 wrote:

I have not tried Fred Miranda with this camera, as I did not anticipate I would have any trouble selling it and wanted to avoid paying for the membership. I will try it.

I joined the Fred Miranda site/forum several years ago and haven't sold anything there for quite awhile but unless things have changed, you don't have to pay for site membership.

You did have to pay a small fee if you wanted to post a picture of your for sale item. Things may have changed but it is a very good site.

Literally hundreds of people buy and sell on the site each day. Most of the equipment is DSLR or studio related but there's also a selection of mirrorless equipment.

People there are very well informed so ask a reasonable price and don't try to BS anyone. Your camera will probably sell within a few hours.

If you're selling an X-E2 that is in excellent condition, ask between 2 & 3 hundred dollars less than new cameras are selling for.

I know it's hard to take a loss on fairly new equipment but remember your camera is used and doesn't come with a warranty.

Good luck.

Ed B wrote:

mp2011 wrote:

I joined the Fred Miranda site/forum several years ago and haven't sold anything there for quite awhile but unless things have changed, you don't have to pay for site membership.

You did have to pay a small fee if you wanted to post a picture of your for sale item. Things may have changed but it is a very good site.

Literally hundreds of people buy and sell on the site each day. Most of the equipment is DSLR or studio related but there's also a selection of mirrorless equipment.

People there are very well informed so ask a reasonable price and don't try to BS anyone. Your camera will probably sell within a few hours.

If you're selling an X-E2 that is in excellent condition, ask between 2 & 3 hundred dollars less than new cameras are selling for.

I know it's hard to take a loss on fairly new equipment but remember your camera is used and doesn't come with a warranty.

Good luck.

I would be THRILLED with $300 less than what it is being sold for new. And it actually would still be under warranty until next April. I think I am just having bad luck and bad timing. I know that I will drop the price forever, and then someone will contact me several weeks after I sell it and offer the higher price.  It is ok though. At this point I am just wanting it to be gone so I can move on and and no longer look at it sitting forlornly on my desk.

Ed B

mp2011 wrote:

I would be THRILLED with $300 less than what it is being sold for new. And it actually would still be under warranty until next April.

That's the kind of mistake that will get you shunned on a knowledgeable site.

Fujifilm, like every other manufacturer, warrants their cameras to the original buyer only.

Used camera don't have a factory warranty and most third party warranties, that may be transferable, are worthless.

Naturally, some countries may have different warranty standards but cameras sold in the U.S. are warranted, only, to the original buyer.

Right now, at B&H, the X-E2 is selling new for $799.00.

Ed B wrote:

mp2011 wrote:

I would be THRILLED with $300 less than what it is being sold for new. And it actually would still be under warranty until next April.

That's the kind of mistake that will get you shunned on a knowledgeable site.

Fujifilm, like every other manufacturer, warrants their cameras to the original buyer only.

Used camera don't have a factory warranty and most third party warranties, that may be transferable, are worthless.

Naturally, some countries may have different warranty standards but cameras sold in the U.S. are warranted, only, to the original buyer.

Right now, at B&H, the X-E2 is selling new for $799.00.

Oh, wow! Shunned! Huh.

It is not the body, it is the body and kit lens. I am familiar with what the body and the kit are selling for new at this time.

I appreciate the help. No need for further assistance.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads