What is the best de-interlace method for PCs?

Started Oct 25, 2014 | Discussions
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655
What is the best de-interlace method for PCs?

Sorry, if this issue has been already (thoroughly) debated, but somehow the DPReview search is too slow that I am rather starting a new thread.

Basically, I decided to watch my home videos (taken with the Sony CX-12 in the only, 60i mode) rather on my PC (now I have a very good monitor) than on a HDTV. And my problem is that I can't find a suitable video player with suitable de-interlace methods. so far I've tried the "MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC" with the blend and wave de-interlacing method and the VLC with various methods. My observations are following:

1. Video is smooth (not jerky) but has a reduced vertical resolution, i.e. apparently only 540 lines are displayed.

2. Video has higher than 540 (maybe all 1080) lines of the vertical resolution, but it is not smooth. Yes, I do not have the most powerful PC but still.

I do not understand how the HDTVs (even older) can make such a good job. Do they use some H/W de-interlacers? If yes, doesn't it exist something similar for PC, though I can't imagine how it would work. Or do you have some other advice as which S/W application/method to use?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Peter

acdtech Contributing Member • Posts: 623
Re: What is the best de-interlace method for PCs?

Try this link. Another user on this forum mentioned it. Seems to work real well. It is free.

http://daumpotplayer.com/

acdtech's gear list:acdtech's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Pentax K-50
flektogon
OP flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 5,655

acdtech wrote:

Try this link. Another user on this forum mentioned it. Seems to work real well. It is free.

Thanks! I downloaded it, tried it and immediately removed. Very poor player, the video frames were almost jumping out of my monitor   . So far only MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC seems to be O.K. though it has a very limited choice of the de-interlace methods.

Regards,

Peter

Vesku Senior Member • Posts: 2,964

flektogon wrote:

acdtech wrote:

Thanks! I downloaded it, tried it and immediately removed. Very poor player, the video frames were almost jumping out of my monitor . So far only MEDIA PLAYER CLASSIC seems to be O.K. though it has a very limited choice of the de-interlace methods.

Regards,

Peter

This player poker is quite strange thing. Some players seems to work better in certain computers. Potplayer works best in my 6 core AMD computer. Windows Media Player has tearing and MPClassic crashes sometimes. VLC too works worse than Potplayer. Even Youtube and Vimeo has tearing when watching with Chrome. Something may be wrong in my PC but Potplayer works very well, in 4k too.

There are lots of settings in Potplayer. Best for me works the default setting which is not using GPU. When I select deinterlacing BOB my 60i videos shows very clearly in a big plasma tv.

A friend of mine has difficulties too with Potplayer with all his computers and he prefer Windows MP. In my work computer Potplayer works fine but some IQ settings like gamma gives green screen. Earlier I have dropped frames with Potplaer default rendering and problem was solved by using Overlay mixer rendering. Nowadays all renderers works and i use Madshi renderer. Maybe newer updates solved that. Potplayer updates very often and new features comes.

trevmar Senior Member • Posts: 2,470

The best de-interlacing method is YADIF but you will not find many packages which offer it. However, if you have a lot of fast movement you need to handle, it is worth chasing down a package which does. Handbrake and AVIsynth come to mind...

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/yadif

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads