Pentax K-S1 marketing flop

Started Oct 23, 2014 | Discussions
ogl
ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,388
Pentax K-S1 marketing flop
 ogl's gear list:ogl's gear list
Pentax K200D Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
Pentax K-S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
PCA Photography Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: Pentax K-S1 marketing flop

How is it possible.  Is there no quality control?  Does a blind person proof the marketing material? Was it too expensive to hire an actual model and photographer for an actual photo shoot?

PCA Photography's gear list:PCA Photography's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sony FE 55mm F1.8
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

What a joke!

I guess this shows just how important Pentax is to Ricoh...

ogl
OP ogl Senior Member • Posts: 1,388

It would be good if they make photo of model with K-S1 by K-S1...:) But they didn't it....

Or by ANY Pentax DSLR or even with Q....:)

Pentax K200D Ricoh GXR A12 50mm F2.5 Macro Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 43mm F1.9 Limited +4 more
PCA Photography Forum Member • Posts: 70

ogl wrote:

It would be good if they make photo of model with K-S1 by K-S1...:) But they didn't it....

Or by ANY Pentax DSLR or even with Q....:)

And the picture was probably taken by a Canon or Nikon.

PCA Photography's gear list:PCA Photography's gear list
Pentax K-3 Sony Alpha a7 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited Sony FE 55mm F1.8
dicks0
dicks0 Forum Member • Posts: 88

They could have Photoshoped the middle finger away, but then you all would also be complaining

dicks0's gear list:dicks0's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited Pentax 55-300mm F4.5-6.3 ED PLM WR RE
Dr Xavier
Dr Xavier Regular Member • Posts: 143

ogl wrote:

http://cl.s6.exct.net/?qs=4b968d23a771cb27a5a464e99bbd22ef6399341295f33dc54b27a6f92cb61fc6

take the photo from stock photography

http://www.fotosearch.com/BLD074/bld089211/

made bad Photoshoped work and welcome

-- hide signature --

WARNING ------------

BEFORE YOU SPREAD FALSE RUMORS

Could you please give us a correct link with Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation with this marketing mistake?

Thanks!

X.

Dr Xavier's gear list:Dr Xavier's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Olympus E-M1
ogl

Dr Xavier wrote:

ogl wrote:

http://cl.s6.exct.net/?qs=4b968d23a771cb27a5a464e99bbd22ef6399341295f33dc54b27a6f92cb61fc6

-- hide signature --

WARNING ------------

Could you please give us a correct link with Ricoh Imaging Americas Corporation with this marketing mistake?

Thanks!

X.

I've received the EMAIL from RICOH IMAGING <no-reply@ricoh-imaging.com>

with such picture. What is your problem?

Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

Dr Xavier wrote:

ogl wrote:

-- hide signature --

WARNING ------------

Thanks!

X.

-- hide signature --

WARNING---- ?

The only thing false about ogl's post is the false photo that Ricoh tried to dupe everyone with.

I received that photo as part of an email directly from Pentax. If it has been wiped away from their ad, it is because they were found out. Plain and simple.

Dukhat
Dukhat Senior Member • Posts: 3,810

Dr Xavier wrote:

ogl wrote:

-- hide signature --

WARNING ------------

Thanks!

X.

This is the email I got from Ricoh yesterday.

ogl

The link is correct. Easy to open, you have any internet problems, maybe?

Michael Piziak
Michael Piziak Regular Member • Posts: 435

Yep, I got the same email from Ricoh.

I don't know what to think, the way they photoshopped this and all.  The finger in front of the lens is a dead give a away.

Michael Piziak's gear list:Michael Piziak's gear list
Pentax K-r Pentax smc DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED +1 more
Dr Xavier
Dr Xavier Regular Member • Posts: 143

ogl wrote:

Dr Xavier wrote:

ogl wrote:

-- hide signature --

WARNING ------------

Thanks!

X.

I've received the EMAIL from RICOH IMAGING <no-reply@ricoh-imaging.com>

with such picture. What is your problem?

I apologize for this mistake.

I opened you first link and I see http://view.s6.exacttarget.com/. Then looked to the Ricoh page and I didn't found it. So, I was thinking that was a rumor.

Dr Xavier's gear list:Dr Xavier's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma dp2 Quattro Olympus E-M1
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 3,740
Where it belongs
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR II Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +9 more
Tom__Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

Tom Lusk wrote:

What a joke!

First, I'm surprised someone noticed. It was a sharp pickup to put these pieces together, even though it isn't the best Photoshop work, ever.

I don't see how this is evidence of Ricoh disrespecting Pentax. I think it's far more likely a case of a manager telling someone in advertising to create some materials for the K-S1 as quickly as possible and someone coming up with a fast solution. That is a reality of the corporate world.

If I owned a K-S1, I wouldn't care about this. If I was in the market for a new camera and knew about this, it wouldn't put me off buying the K-S1. I don't think this is any indication the sky is falling.

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) +6 more
ogl

Tom__Brown wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

What a joke!

First, I'm surprised someone noticed. It was a sharp pickup to put these pieces together, even though it isn't the best Photoshop work, ever.

I don't see how this is evidence of Ricoh disrespecting Pentax. I think it's far more likely a case of a manager telling someone in advertising to create some materials for the K-S1 as quickly as possible and someone coming up with a fast solution. That is a reality of the corporate world.

If I owned a K-S1, I wouldn't care about this. If I was in the market for a new camera and knew about this, it wouldn't put me off buying the K-S1. I don't think this is any indication the sky is falling.

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Anybody say that sky is falling? As for K-S1 - K-S1 is not Pentax spirit's camera IMO.

Dukhat
Dukhat Senior Member • Posts: 3,810

Tom__Brown wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

What a joke!

The problem is, in this case, they are making the camera look MUCH smaller than it is. This is false advertising.

Tom__Brown Senior Member • Posts: 1,344

Dukhat wrote:

The problem is, in this case, they are making the camera look MUCH smaller than it is. This is false advertising.

Yes.  I picked up on that right away, too.  In fact, I initially I thought they put a Pentax logo on an E-350. lol!

It's a high school level photoshop effort. It's comically bad.

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Tom__Brown's gear list:Tom__Brown's gear list
Pentax K100D Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax smc DA 14mm F2.8 ED (IF) +6 more
Bmoon Regular Member • Posts: 291
Now that they cannot use only old image they pull off the web

They are stuck PS images for their advertising

I sure hope that they have required permission to use this image in their advertising

One would only hope they have learned from their last advertising fiasco

Bmoon's gear list:Bmoon's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Pentax K10D Nikon D3X Nikon D300S Pentax K-5 +7 more
Alex Sarbu Veteran Member • Posts: 7,527

Tom__Brown wrote:

Tom Lusk wrote:

What a joke!

That's Ricoh Imaging U.S., right? Perhaps they didn't even had a K-S1 in the proper color, cameras are harder to send through email...

-- hide signature --

-- Tom

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-1 Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.8 Macro Limited +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads