HX400 - All without tripod!

Started Oct 12, 2014 | Discussions
Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 35,446
Re: HX400 - All without tripod!

Bassy wrote:

aisse what do you think you are playing at two weeks ago i bought the canon sx60 and i thought that it was not as sharp as the sx50 so i took it back and bought a panasonic fz1000 its a very very good camera but it does not have the reach to get good enough bird shots to my liking

i am now thinking about getting another sx50 when the price drops seeing a newer model is out

then you go and show these wow factor shots i mean that they look superb

maybe i should change my mind and get the same camera as you it would be the ideal partner for my rx10

so how far away are the birds

I have the RX10 and also the HX400 to compliment it for long shots of wildlife.

-- hide signature --
 Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
Aisse Gaertner
OP Aisse Gaertner Contributing Member • Posts: 871
Re: Wonderful...just WONDERFUL

Microshooter wrote:

If you can find a way to package up your skill set and sell them.....I'll buy one!! Or maybe be an investor...😉

LOL!

Aisse Gaertner's gear list:Aisse Gaertner's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P900 Canon EOS 6D Irix 15mm F2.4 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +1 more
Aisse Gaertner

hannenberg wrote:

These are quite beautiful. Can you share what type of PP was involved?

Thanks.

Hi Hannenberg!

I use levels, vibrance, inteligent sharpness, surface blur to background noise reduction.

Thank u!

Aisse Gaertner

Bill Borne wrote:

All are great as were with the HX300. So using ISO 200 seems to do the trick??

I can't seem to get the same quality as you? Are these birds fairly close?

Hi Bill! I chose iso200 just to get more speed and help IS to get sharp images. Even in good light conditions.

In some situations I use iso80 or iso400... Even iso800 when there is no sufficient light.

Those high iso pics are not so good. In this case I would prefer set iso down and use tripod.

Regards.

KBKB Senior Member • Posts: 2,907

Aisse Gaertner wrote:

Bill Borne wrote:

All are great as were with the HX300. So using ISO 200 seems to do the trick??

I can't seem to get the same quality as you? Are these birds fairly close?

Hi Bill! I chose iso200 just to get more speed and help IS to get sharp images. Even in good light conditions.

In some situations I use iso80 or iso400... Even iso800 when there is no sufficient light.

Those high iso pics are not so good. In this case I would prefer set iso down and use tripod.

On the HX400, what's the "base ISO", i.e. the lowest ISO that you can use without loss of quality?

My RX100 III has settings for ISO 80 and ISO 100, but it's my understanding that the best quality (least noise) is obtained at ISO 125. The ISO menu on the camera indicates this by putting horizontal bars above and below the numbers 80 and 100.

KBKB's gear list:KBKB's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS +4 more
doctorxring Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
Re: Very impressive indeed.

KBKB wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

I am going to have to rethink my preconceptions about bridge cameras.

Yup. Me too.

I did this very thing about two years ago.  That's when I started carrying an SX50 along with my APS-C with a short zoom.  The super zoom is lighter and quicker to get into action than trying for a change out to a big lens.  And who the heck is going to have a 1200mm equivalent lens in their sack ?  As you see here, in good light they will get the goods.  And these images are from camera JPG's since the HX400 does not record raw.

Carrying along a big zoom bridge has been a good strategy for me.

doctorxring's gear list:doctorxring's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony RX1R II Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 +1 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648
Excellent work

seems you already have found your way with it :-), the one behind the camera teams up greatly once again.

rgds Marti

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

rjun86
rjun86 New Member • Posts: 17

is this camera compatible with windows phone ( nokia lumia 730) & can u tell me about remote video shooting

Microshooter
Microshooter Senior Member • Posts: 1,948
Re: Very impressive indeed.

"doctorxring wrote:

KBKB wrote:

Mike Fewster wrote:

I am going to have to rethink my preconceptions about bridge cameras.

Yup. Me too.

I did this very thing about two years ago. That's when I started carrying an SX50 along with my APS-C with a short zoom. The super zoom is lighter and quicker to get into action than trying for a change out to a big lens. And who the heck is going to have a 1200mm equivalent lens in their sack ? As you see here, in good light they will get the goods. And these images are from camera JPG's since the HX400 does not record raw.

Carrying along a big zoom bridge has been a good strategy for me.

Honestly....I could not have said this better myself!!! Every word looks like I wrote it...including the "two years ago" comment. I was suggesting to my friends going on river cruises and state parks in the USA that they should consider the SX50 for all that you say here. After touting it for the last 2 years I finally got one myself...the HX400V about a month or so ago. GREAT optional camera to have the bag or just for an easy "do-all" camera with VERY good IQ output and functionality.

-- hide signature --

Dan
"My most rewarding shots are things in the captured image that I didn't 'see' in the viewfinder."
Currently shoot with Nikon D800, V2 & Sony HX400V

Microshooter's gear list:Microshooter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 +16 more
MissingLinkie
MissingLinkie Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
Words can NOT do justice to this serie

........................  but i will try ......STUNNING....

-- hide signature --

This is just my RAW avatar....

MissingLinkie's gear list:MissingLinkie's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000
Bassy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,133

thanks bill your two shots look nice on my computer,i might just go down the same road as you

and get the hx400

Henry Lozykowski Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

Very beautiful pictures no meter what camera you use.

Henry

Aisse Gaertner

KBKB wrote:

On the HX400, what's the "base ISO", i.e. the lowest ISO that you can use without loss of quality?

My RX100 III has settings for ISO 80 and ISO 100, but it's my understanding that the best quality (least noise) is obtained at ISO 125. The ISO menu on the camera indicates this by putting horizontal bars above and below the numbers 80 and 100.

On the reviews there is loss of quality when p. peeping above 100/160...

But I get more sharp images with a little higher speed... so ISO200 is the best for more situations.

Aisse Gaertner

rjun86 wrote:

is this camera compatible with windows phone ( nokia lumia 730) & can u tell me about remote video shooting

I didn't try to shot video with smartphone remote... didn't see any options.

Dodge_Rock Senior Member • Posts: 1,846
Penelope is so Pretty

All your shots are gallery worthy, but I must say this portrait of Penelope is exquisite.

I originally thought your HX300 images were about the best anyone could squeeze/edit out of a small sensor, high zoom camera, but underestimated your talent.  Well done my friend.

AG's Penelope obscura

Aisse Gaertner
Re: Penelope is so Pretty

Dodge_Rock wrote:

All your shots are gallery worthy, but I must say this portrait of Penelope is exquisite.

I originally thought your HX300 images were about the best anyone could squeeze/edit out of a small sensor, high zoom camera, but underestimated your talent. Well done my friend.

AG's Penelope obscura

Thank you Dodge!!

Angellee74
Angellee74 New Member • Posts: 1

Came across your post by chance and was wondering if you could give me your opinion - I love taking pictures of wildlife and kids (same difference sometimes!) both can move fast and aren't always in ideal light - I'm trying to find the best (and most reasonably priced) camera for this.

I'll probably buy used to get a little more bang for my buck and hopefully stay at $500 or less.

im usually traveling in foreign countries, so decent battery life is nice, but I can always buy spare battery packs.

I've looked at the rx 100, the Nikon d3300, Sony 5100, a6000 and a million others until I'm cross eyed! Any recommendations would be appreciated!

Bill Borne
Bill Borne Forum Pro • Posts: 35,446
Angellee

Angellee74 wrote:

Came across your post by chance and was wondering if you could give me your opinion - I love taking pictures of wildlife and kids (same difference sometimes!) both can move fast and aren't always in ideal light - I'm trying to find the best (and most reasonably priced) camera for this.

I'll probably buy used to get a little more bang for my buck and hopefully stay at $500 or less.

im usually traveling in foreign countries, so decent battery life is nice, but I can always buy spare battery packs.

I've looked at the rx 100, the Nikon d3300, Sony 5100, a6000 and a million others until I'm cross eyed! Any recommendations would be appreciated!

I recommend the RX100 M3 for your needs unless you want 4k video then the Rx100 m4.

Cams like the HX400 have such big lenses hard to get photos hand held and low light!. Not a lot of reach in the RX100 series but excellent IQ.

Look here for reviews

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews?category=cameras&sort=brand

-- hide signature --

"Life's Too Short to Worry about the BS!"
Click for Wild Man's Photos

Bill Borne's gear list:Bill Borne's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX400V Sony Cyber-shot DSC-H5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 III +4 more
SoCalWill
SoCalWill Senior Member • Posts: 4,686

Angellee74 wrote:

I love taking pictures of wildlife and kids (same difference sometimes!) both can move fast and aren't always in ideal light - I'm trying to find the best (and most reasonably priced) camera for this.

Love my RX100III, but would only recommend it for shooting kids indoors with a speedlight, which is only ~$70 but requires some extra learning to get the hang of, if you're willing.

Wildlife is pretty much exclusively telephoto territory, which the RX does not do.

So you're probably looking at an interchangeable lens/DSLR camera with an all-in-one lens (a lens that goes from wide-angle to telephoto). Too many options to list in that category, in many different sizes and prices, but now you have a better idea of what to look for.

SoCalWill's gear list:SoCalWill's gear list
Sony RX100 III Pentax K-S2 Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F/2.8 Di LD (IF) MACRO Apple iPhone 7 Plus
Henry Lozykowski Senior Member • Posts: 1,242

Brilliant birds and images! Nice color and excellent details.

Henry

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads