Odd AF-D lens behavior on new d750

Started Oct 7, 2014 | Discussions
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584
Odd AF-D lens behavior on new d750

Ok, so I splurged and got myself a new d750, trading in my much-loved d600 (and kit lens).

It's only been a few days, and I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but I have noticed a few things when mounting two of my older D lenses on the camera:

Nikkor 105 f/2 DC: This lens appears to need significant AF fine-tuning on the d750, and needed only about a +2 or so on my d600. It is nowhere near sharp on the newer camera. It appears to be ok shooting via live view, but phase-detect AF is way off. Hopefully it falls within the 20-point allowable correction in the AF fine-tuning screen. (I haven't gotten a chance to actually play with fine tuning it yet).

It was, of course, the first lens I mounted on the camera. Af first I was sure there was something wrong with the d750, the results were so terrible.

None of my other lenses have needed any fine tuning so far...at least not obviously.

Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8 D: AF won't work - at all - until after I've activated/raised the internal flash.

I know; that sounds absolutely crazy. But when I first mount the lens, or first use the camera after it has gone to sleep for a good amount of time with the lens mounted, it has absolutely no response to the half-shutter-press. The AF points turn red when I half-depress the shutter button, but there is absolutely no attempt on the part of the lens to auto-focus - no torque, no hunting. It will, however, manually focus, and the MF assist seems to work (the > O < features all work just fine).

This happens regardless of the AF mode chosen (GRP, Single, Dynamic, etc).

However...generally speaking, after I activate the internal flash, the AF starts working. This happens regardless of whether the conditions are bright enough to need flash. Also, raising the internal flash does not always seem to work right away; sometimes I have to play with it, turn the camera off, then raise the flash, etc...

Once I get the AF working, it keeps on working. But for some reason, the camera seems to have some difficulty engaging it that first time. (For the record, I recently had the AF motor replaced on this lens, and it worked perfectly on my d600...so I don't think that's it).

I have not - yet - had this problem with any of my other lenses. Even my two Sigmas seem to work just fine on the d750 (though I haven't tested them extensively yet). And the AF motor on the above-mentioned 105 DC engages just fine; the AF is just way off.

Any ideas on either of these items? Has anyone else had problems with the d750 and older AF Nikkors?

Thanks,

Paul

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
StillLearning
StillLearning Veteran Member • Posts: 4,417
Re: Odd AF-D lens behavior on new d750

paulski66 wrote:

Ok, so I splurged and got myself a new d750, trading in my much-loved d600 (and kit lens).

It's only been a few days, and I haven't had a chance to really put it through its paces yet, but I have noticed a few things when mounting two of my older D lenses on the camera:

Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8 D: AF won't work - at all - until after I've activated/raised the internal flash.

I know; that sounds absolutely crazy. But when I first mount the lens, or first use the camera after it has gone to sleep for a good amount of time with the lens mounted, it has absolutely no response to the half-shutter-press. The AF points turn red when I half-depress the shutter button, but there is absolutely no attempt on the part of the lens to auto-focus - no torque, no hunting. It will, however, manually focus, and the MF assist seems to work (the > O < features all work just fine).

However...generally speaking, after I activate the internal flash, the AF starts working. This happens regardless of whether the conditions are bright enough to need flash. Also, raising the internal flash does not always seem to work right away; sometimes I have to play with it, turn the camera off, then raise the flash, etc...

Once I get the AF working, it keeps on working. But for some reason, the camera seems to have some difficulty engaging it that first time. (For the record, I recently had the AF motor replaced on this lens, and it worked perfectly on my d600...so I don't think that's it).

I have not - yet - had this problem with any of my other lenses. Even my two Sigmas seem to work just fine on the d750 (though I haven't tested them extensively yet). And the AF motor on the above-mentioned 105 DC engages just fine; the AF is just way off.

Any ideas on either of these items? Has anyone else had problems with the d750 and older NAF Nikkors?

Thanks,

Paul

This one has me concerned. Haven't tried mine on it yet.  Only tried my Sigmas to make sure they worked.  Now I will check all my Nikkors.

StillLearning's gear list:StillLearning's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 +11 more
(unknown member) Contributing Member • Posts: 502

On my D810 the AFS 28-70mm f/2.8 is performing without any problems.

-- hide signature --

Jur

turboBB
turboBB Regular Member • Posts: 202

Only have one older lens (50mm/1.4D) and no issues so far with the D750.

-- hide signature --
ImageAmateur Veteran Member • Posts: 5,067

paulski66 wrote:

Nikkor 105 f/2 DC: This lens appears to need significant AF fine-tuning on the d750, and needed only about a +2 or so on my d600. It is nowhere near sharp on the newer camera. It appears to be ok shooting via live view, but phase-detect AF is way off. Hopefully it falls within the 20-point allowable correction in the AF fine-tuning screen. (I haven't gotten a chance to actually play with fine tuning it yet).

It was, of course, the first lens I mounted on the camera. Af first I was sure there was something wrong with the d750, the results were so terrible.

None of my other lenses have needed any fine tuning so far...at least not obviously.

Any ideas on either of these items? Has anyone else had problems with the d750 and older AF Nikkors?

Thanks,

Paul

I don't have ANY of those, but logically, your camera may have an electronics issue. Can you try another?

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

ImageAmateur's gear list:ImageAmateur's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Phase One Capture One Pro
Big Ga Forum Pro • Posts: 18,625

paulski66 wrote:

Nikkor 105 f/2 DC: This lens appears to need significant AF fine-tuning on the d750, and needed only about a +2 or so on my d600.

The 105DC is notorious for needing large amounts of AF fine tune. I'm tempted to say that the +2 on your D600 is the outlier, and the D750 is probably more normal.

I've used my 105 on perhaps 6 different DX bodies, and while the two D800 bodies I have seem to need less adjustment that the others, this lens still needs way more than anything else.

That's a tricky one. But I also have a 28-70 which sometimes gives me similar issues to start to focus and I'm fairly sure its because the ultrasonic motor is on the way out. Maybe its a power issue and the D750 can't quite give it enough juice to get it initially going? Tricky.

Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce Forum Pro • Posts: 19,757

FWIW, if that happened to me, I'd be returning/exchanging the camera.

It's common for different bodies to have different levels of fine tune, but I have never encountered a body that wouldn't operate a lens, especially a Nikon lens.

good luck
Kerry

-- hide signature --

When is it "Okay" to be mean, petty or unethical?
-
my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +17 more
StillLearning

Checked my 28-70 AF-S F2.8D lens on my D750. Appears to work fine and wakes up okay. Cloudy today so no bright and colorful pictures.

Jay A Senior Member • Posts: 2,406

Interesting. I was playing with a D750 with an AF-S lens mounted on it in a camera store the other day and it would not shoot. Everything else seemed ok, but the shutter release would not shoot until I popped the flash up. Then it worked whether the flash was popped up or not..until I turned the camera off and back on. Then the same thing happened. At the time I wasn't concerned since it wasn't my camera, but now that I am seeing this thread it has me wondering.

jwaif Regular Member • Posts: 491

Paul,
If you set the camera to Auto mode (not P,S,A or M), does the 28-70 still not focus until you raise the flash? If it does focus in Auto mode without the flash being raised, it might be a menu setting that is causing the problem.
Also, are you using AF-S, Af-C or AF-A?
John

Re: Odd AF action, maybe a Nikon issued firmware update is in order??

Jay A wrote:

Interesting. I was playing with a D750 with an AF-S lens mounted on it in a camera store the other day and it would not shoot. Everything else seemed ok, but the shutter release would not shoot until I popped the flash up. Then it worked whether the flash was popped up or not..until I turned the camera off and back on. Then the same thing happened. At the time I wasn't concerned since it wasn't my camera, but now that I am seeing this thread it has me wondering.

Same behavior as OP. looks to be a needed firmware update to correct?

This is just why early adoption is sometimes risky. Nevertheless, I am sure Nikon will correct.

Whether it is widespread or just a few now remains to be seen.

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

Re: Odd AF-D lens behavior on new d750 focus assist light?

jwaif wrote:

Paul,
If you set the camera to Auto mode (not P,S,A or M), does the 28-70 still not focus until you raise the flash? If it does focus in Auto mode without the flash being raised, it might be a menu setting that is causing the problem.
John

A menu setting that is instructing the flash to not focus unless it is using the focus assist light?

But then, why as he says does it work normally once this is done the first time after turning on?

-- hide signature --

Wishing You Good Light.

paulski66
OP paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,584

Thanks for checking; glad it's working fine for you.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
paulski66

Kerry Pierce wrote:

FWIW, if that happened to me, I'd be returning/exchanging the camera.

It's common for different bodies to have different levels of fine tune, but I have never encountered a body that wouldn't operate a lens, especially a Nikon lens.

good luck
Kerry

I'm still testing things out, but if I continue to have such issues, I will be exchanging the camera.

I moved up to the d750 for better AF results, not so that I would have to deal with AF issues.

paulski66

Jay A wrote:

Very interesting...

paulski66

jwaif wrote:

Paul,
John

It seems to be independent of the mode being used; I tried AF-S, AF-A, and AF-C.

paulski66
UPDATE: Odd AF-D lens behavior on new d750

Yesterday I was having an issue getting it to engage at all; even raising the flash wasn't working. But this morning, it's working just fine. The lens is spry and responsive, as it should be...even without raising the flash.

I'm a tad perplexed, and plan to keep trying it out, and trying it with different settings, and see if I can nail down why this is happening. If it continues intermittently happening throughout the week, I will take camera and lens into the shop and try out the lens on other d750s.

pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,205
Have you tried to ...

... clean the lens contacts? Perhaps some dirt or oxidation could explain the erratic behaviour?

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
StillLearning

paulski66 wrote:

Thanks for checking; glad it's working fine for you.

I don't think this is every D750 related.  Could be batch related.  I think taking your camera and lens into the shop is a good idea.  You may need to exchange it.  Don't do r&d for Nikon.  Of course you might want to clean the lens contacts to cover your bases.

Vision 1
Vision 1 New Member • Posts: 5

I was having the same problem. I call Nikon they wanted me to send the lens and camera in. I only had it for two day "I don't think so". Talk to my local camera store. One of the sales people has the 28-70mm. We think it was a firmware problem. I search the net could not get an answer for the problem. Then lens focuses on my D600 and D7000. Could not understand that. All other lens work fine on D750 even the two Sigmas i have and the 2x teleconverter from Sigma. So I tried the 28-70mm on D600 before bed it worked. Then I put it back on the D750 again. Well it worked so i played around with a little. I found the problem. It not the camera it was the lens. I had the lens in A/M and had turned the focus ring a little. The lens stop working again hmmmmm. So I turned it to the close focusing end , then turn it a little more past that. Now it's work again like it should. Got to be some thing out of alinement. Hope this helps, mite help you mite not.

Update:  This morning it stopped working again. Turning the focus ring did not help this time. Then it worked again then stopped & then it worked again. It seemed that if I pressed the shutter button all way down a x-number of times then it worked again. Still worked with no problem on the D600. Must be firmware related. If enough people call in about it. Then they may address this sooner.

Vision 1's gear list:Vision 1's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-70mm f/2.8 ED-IF Nikon Coolpix S6800 Nikon D600 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads