Panasonic benefits from cross-fertilization too Locked

Started Oct 1, 2014 | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 18,060
Re: Panasonic benefits from cross-fertilization too

Wow that looks like a Panasonic Quick Menu on the side.  The mind boggles, I don't even get a slow menu with my toilet nor any options for different ways to use it.  You have created a deep insecurity in me now I know that the Japanese have toilets with menus.

-- hide signature --
 Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH
OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,042

Impulses wrote:

I've seen those toilets stateside, at stores mind you, and I only remember so because I recently bought a toilet for a new house. I'm sure they're out there tho, but probably not by Panasonic, it seems we like buying our bathroom hardware from Germans and more European sounding brands (Kohler, Hansgrohe, etc)... Or from American brands (Delta, and the aptly named American Standard). I'm sure there's a clever logistic or psycho-social reason for this, not quite sure I wanna know.

I think you can buy a few models at places like Amazon, Costco, etc. in the U.S. Rare for people to have them in the States though. In Japan they are very common in homes. Public toilets in places such as a park usually don't have them, but public toilets in stores, etc. often do.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

TheManWhoWas
TheManWhoWas Contributing Member • Posts: 539
Re: Toilet equivalance

The Canon toilets are of course twice as large and flush four times as fast as this "toy" Panasonic toilet. Only people who don't give a crap would be willing to make such a compromise in the bathroom.

If it suits your needs that's just fine of course, but some of us need FFF (Full Flush Facilities)

TheManWhoWas's gear list:TheManWhoWas's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital 25mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Jay Turberville Forum Pro • Posts: 12,918

TheManWhoWas wrote:

The Canon toilets are of course twice as large and flush four times as fast as this "toy" Panasonic toilet. Only people who don't give a crap would be willing to make such a compromise in the bathroom.

If it suits your needs that's just fine of course, but some of us need FFF (Full Flush Facilities)

Yes, FFF is certainly something needed by those folks who are more full of crap than average.

-- hide signature --

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

agentul wrote:

Jay Turberville wrote:

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why you need an electronic toilet seat? Does it play music? Do urine analysis?

Help this American get a clue.

Tom

It's a fancy bidet and might offer such things as a heated seat. There's probably more, but I'm mostly familiar with the bidet-like features. It is very un-American, but actually a good idea IMO.

Ron White: and all of a sudden... i'm that guy !

I was once the guy who looked at his wife as though she were nuts when she wanted to buy a bidet (ended up with a Panasonic "shower seat" instead.)  But now I'm "that guy" who has to admit that it actually makes some good sense.  I remember reading some site that explained it kinda like this, "Isn't it better to clean up something that has the consistency of mud by using a bit of water?"  Hard to argue with that really.

-- hide signature --

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

agentul Contributing Member • Posts: 619

Jay Turberville wrote:

agentul wrote:

Jay Turberville wrote:

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

I'm still trying to figure out why you need an electronic toilet seat? Does it play music? Do urine analysis?

Help this American get a clue.

Tom

It's a fancy bidet and might offer such things as a heated seat. There's probably more, but I'm mostly familiar with the bidet-like features. It is very un-American, but actually a good idea IMO.

Ron White: and all of a sudden... i'm that guy !

I was once the guy who looked at his wife as though she were nuts when she wanted to buy a bidet (ended up with a Panasonic "shower seat" instead.) But now I'm "that guy" who has to admit that it actually makes some good sense. I remember reading some site that explained it kinda like this, "Isn't it better to clean up something that has the consistency of mud by using a bit of water?" Hard to argue with that really.

indeed. we actually agreed not to buy one, even though the bathroom had the proper connections for it, because it interfered with the place where we wanted to store the dirty laundry. one of the things that i could never understand about bidets, even since i was a child, is why are there no "bidet seats" similar to toilet seats. nobody sits on a bare toilet (and there are numerous jokes/complaints about men not putting the toilet seat down), but somehow nobody has this complaint about bidets. to use your analogy, when you clean something with the consistence of mud using water, you usually spend some time to get it all off, even with a very powerful jet (as seen at the car wash).

oh, and regarding the technological overlap between a m4/3 camera and that particular toilet in the OP, nobody seems to have noticed that sensor. it's probably related to the eye sensor next to the viewfinder, but it only responds to brown eyes.

The advantage of the shower seat is that it can be mounted to any toilet.  I taps into the standard toilet plumbing and the only thing "special" it needs is a power outlet.

And you are right, it isn't a time saver at all. The time spent with the water negates any time saved using less paper.  So it's pretty much a wash (pun intended.)  But it does do a better job and is a bit gentler on the bum.

I can certainly live without one, but all things being equal, I prefer to use it.

-- hide signature --

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

Pedagydusz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,721

Also, FF toilets muffle much more efficiently noise than the small Micro ones! Assuming, of course, comparable quantum drain efficiency.  

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more
OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 20,042
flush shock

TheManWhoWas wrote:

And let's not even get into the whole flush shock problem with smaller, lighter toilets.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

elfroggio
elfroggio Veteran Member • Posts: 3,132

Henry Richardson wrote:

Panasonic toilet

I was ready to pull the trigger on a GX-7 but only if I could get the 35-100 f/2.8 with it. Nobody has those in stock in my neck of the woods (Kanukland), so instead of pulling the trigger I had to "flush"

BTW, why is there a shortage of the 35-100 f/2.8?

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.sritch.com
Street Photography: The Dogs of Vancouver, BC

agentul Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: flush shock

Henry Richardson wrote:

TheManWhoWas wrote:

And let's not even get into the whole flush shock problem with smaller, lighter toilets.

bigger toilets are prone to splash shock, especially North American NTSC models. that's where the user's IBIS is really important, but most of us only realize this after the fact.

i can tell you, i was flushing manually with a plastic 5 liter bucket all through the '90s. these autoflush models, while convenient, don't really offer the same satisfaction of developing your craft.

Pedagydusz Veteran Member • Posts: 5,721
Re: A toilet otaku!

We should have a "Toilet Talk Forum". I wonder what the equivalent of "bokeh" is going to be...

-- hide signature --
 Pedagydusz's gear list:Pedagydusz's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F707 Canon EOS 7D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 +3 more
Gerry Siegel
Gerry Siegel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,238
Re: The truth is less flattering to Olympus

Damning with faint praise Chris. Panasonic has greater assets, but Olympus has some good engineering and has produced several innovative models that sell well and are much appreciated. Their engineering prowess made possible sensor cleaning that really works as well as sensor stabilization. And in the latest model, a system of weather sealing that is state of the art for an under 2K camera. Its lenses, including kit lenses are first rate. Panasonic leans more towards the movie hybrid user base and Olympus is the pride of fast zoom lenses. As well as marginal but worthwhile additions to each model introduction. I think they do themselves harm by not giving a decent manual to exploit the cameras and not creating the professional help centers that Canon users enjoy. Although they have had near death experience in the company, I have great respect for their not folding. Who owns the outfit I care little about. Their death has been predicted more than once. Four thirds lives on....mirrorless is getting to be more of a standard than an outlier. So, I would not flush them yet. aloha and good wishes from Oceania ...GS

Gerry Siegel's gear list:Gerry Siegel's gear list
Panasonic ZS100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 +4 more
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876

Only people who don't give a crap would be willing to make such a compromise in the bathroom.

No pun intended, right 

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,876

We should have a "Toilet Talk Forum"

More than one, I would say. We can't expect users of Panasonic toilets to use the same forum as those with other makes, even though they share the same mount..

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Chez Wimpy
Chez Wimpy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,072

Henry Richardson wrote:

Do you have magazines, websites, etc. about toilets where you can feed your passion?

If you ever build a house, you might go out on a limb and choose to include a toilet.  Optional of course in Japan, since my first apartment included a drop-style hole-in-the-floor (can't recall if that one was National) these upgrades have me feeling a bit like Jed Clampett.  I wouldn't be mistaken for a heating / shower / flooring / window / roof otaku though I have the catalogs to "prove" it.  YKK AP does have some attractive (if overpriced) interior door models.   The electrical breakers might just be Panasonic though (some of the LEDs too).

-- hide signature --

-CW

Chez Wimpy's gear list:Chez Wimpy's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 20D Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Canon EOS 550D +33 more
Bluephotons Veteran Member • Posts: 6,748
Here is where the "Presence" gets yucky and disgusting (NT)
-- hide signature --

Bluephotons
Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now. Bob Dylan

Bluephotons's gear list:Bluephotons's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +5 more
Landscapephoto99 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,183
Re: Flush with ideas

I'm sure this cross-fertilization has led Panasonic to be flush with ideas about camera development

Re: Flush with ideas

Landscapephoto99 wrote:

I'm sure this cross-fertilization has led Panasonic to be flush with ideas about camera development

Yes, but developing all of these ideas that are swirling in the heads of designers has created a drain on resources forcing Panasonic to dump the program. It is sad because they barely had a chance to plumb the depths of what is possible.

-- hide signature --

Jay Turberville
www.jayandwanda.com

FrankS009
FrankS009 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,463
Tempting fate

This talk of toilet equivalence and flush shock is tempting fate about having the thread locked.

F.

-- hide signature --

"We shoot the things that move us in ways that will move others." David duChemin

FrankS009's gear list:FrankS009's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads