Is "shoot without lens" setting necessary on EM-10?

Started Sep 27, 2014 | Discussions
h2odog
h2odog Senior Member • Posts: 1,225
Is "shoot without lens" setting necessary on EM-10?

I recently obtained an adapter to allow me to use a Leica M lens on my Olympus EM-10. I put the adapter on the camera and then the lens on the adapter. It seems to be working fine. I read that you should set the camera to "shoot without lens." Is there a menu item on the Olympus EM-10 for this and is it necessary in that the lens seems to be working without setting the camera to "shoot without lens?"

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Anders W
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 22,144
Re: Is "shoot without lens" setting necessary on EM-10?

h2odog wrote:

I recently obtained an adapter to allow me to use a Leica M lens on my Olympus EM-10. I put the adapter on the camera and then the lens on the adapter. It seems to be working fine. I read that you should set the camera to "shoot without lens." Is there a menu item on the Olympus EM-10 for this and is it necessary in that the lens seems to be working without setting the camera to "shoot without lens?"

AFAIK, it is necessary to set the "shoot without lens" option on Panasonic bodies to have them work with a lens that is not electrically connected. There is no such option on Oly bodies. So just go ahead and shoot.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +20 more
h2odog
OP h2odog Senior Member • Posts: 1,225

Anders W wrote:

h2odog wrote:

AFAIK, it is necessary to set the "shoot without lens" option on Panasonic bodies to have them work with a lens that is not electrically connected. There is no such option on Oly bodies. So just go ahead and shoot.

Thank you.

h2odog's gear list:h2odog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +4 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 37,093

Anders W wrote:

h2odog wrote:

AFAIK, it is necessary to set the "shoot without lens" option on Panasonic bodies to have them work with a lens that is not electrically connected. There is no such option on Oly bodies. So just go ahead and shoot.

Absolutely. With Olympus you can safely take the lens off, peer into the camera and fire a shot to see what goes on inside - no need to tell the camera there's no lens, it knows that for itself.

An example is here http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m36/photoguy340/dprstuff/epl5shutter2_zps60fc6f28.gif where I made a slowed down view of my E-PL5 shutter in action. Taken with a Casio pocket camera that does 1,000 fps video at very low resolution.

The sequence you see is .....

"Start"... Open for live view

next the shutter closes to get dark period and to clear the sensor ready for the exposure

next the two sets of blades rush up the sensor  to give the exposure, I think it was 1/400 second so a large slit travels up

then the shutter stays closed for about 1/10 second (much longer here as it is slowed down so much) so all the lines of pixels can be scanned in the dark and the analog to digital conversions made and the raw file to jpeg file created

then it opens again for live view..."End"..

As Anders said, only Panasonic bodies need to be told in the menus that there's no lens attached (=legacy lens on adapter attached so no communication between lens and body).

Regards..... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,344
That's a Panasonic shortcoming...

Don't know why such a setting is necessary on Panasonic m4/3 cameras, when Olympus m4/3 does fine without such a setting!

Also calling it "shoot without lens" is a silly term...you are shooting with a lens, just there's no electronic communication.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads