X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

Started Sep 24, 2014 | Discussions
dtssound New Member • Posts: 4
Re: X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

I have the same problem too. In fact the rubber grip on my x-t1 came off completely. I don't know the reason, but my guess was because I put the camera in a bag that is a bit tight on the camera. Thus the inside of the camera rubs against my camera body every time I reached and pulled it out.

dtssound's gear list:dtssound's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1

I think the biggest problem with the x-t1 is the heat it generates when you are doing some heavy shooting. I can feel the camera heating up in my palm every time I've taken a lot of shots within a short period of time. And if you do lots of continuous shooting, the problem worsens.

I guess, it's this heat that causes the glue to come off and loosen.

Fuji needs to find a solution for the overheating problem.

Fujifilm X-T1

I think the biggest problem with the x-t1 is the heat it generates when you are doing some heavy shooting. I can feel the camera heating up in my palm every time I've taken a lot of shots within a short period of time. And if you do lots of continuous shooting, the problem worsens.

Fujifilm X-T1
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,612

dtssound wrote:

Yikes, how did these issues get past the R&D and QC teams?!

As a recent X-T1 purchaser (silver) I am rather anxious to say the least, but at least I got a 2-year warranty

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
km25
km25 Contributing Member • Posts: 719
Re: X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover: Update

John Friar wrote:

Big Swifty wrote:

if you don't mind, keep us informed with an update to this post. I'm (and I'm sure others are) curious to see if Fuji's fix is effective in the long term.

Well, since the repair, I have taken my XT1 to Istanbul and London. It appeared to be holding up well until I visited the Columbia gorge is Washington State this past weekend. The temperature had the audacity to climb to the mid 20's C (upper 70's F). The door, which I hadn't yet opened and appeared to be OK, started bowing. Yesterday, it fell off the camera!

It appears that the pin that acts as a hinge was not replaced during the repair at Fuji. This is sloppy, at best. I love the camera, otherwise, but I'm annoyed. I'm going to contact Fuji and see if they are willing to send a pin. If they won't, I'll probably use some kind of sealant to semi-permanently fix the door in place. I really do not want to return the camera for a third time.

I really hope the best for you. I hope they will send a pin, but knowning tech support from anyone they will want to do it them self.

-- hide signature --

kam

km25's gear list:km25's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Leica Elmarit-M 24mm f/2.8 ASPH Leica Summilux-M 35mm f/1.4 ASPH +9 more
Saind New Member • Posts: 2

I have the same problem, loose rubber and bent door

Roddy McLean
Roddy McLean New Member • Posts: 1

I also have bowed door and peeling rubber in two places.  Very disappointing.

Roddy McLean's gear list:Roddy McLean's gear list
Nikon D3 Fujifilm X-T1 Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5
Marco Cinnirella

Roddy McLean wrote:

I also have bowed door and peeling rubber in two places. Very disappointing.

Anyone got this with silver X-T1 or is it only a black body problem?

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Kaso Veteran Member • Posts: 4,292

Roddy McLean wrote:

I also have bowed door and peeling rubber in two places. Very disappointing.

I like the X-T1 for the photographic experience and the OOC JPG images.

However, since the very first day of handling and using the XT-1, I haven't had the "total confidence" feeling with respect to material/build quality.

Every door is flaky and is kind of bends or squeaks when touched. And, yes, the left door for the ports does "bow" as has been reported by the OP and other posters.

The "faux leather" rubber cover, especially around the grip, feels sticky as if it was being affected by heat or chemical substance. (I have dry palms and fingers. I never eat and drink while doing photography. I always keep my gear in a cool dry place.)

I have used all sorts of digital cameras for many years. Many are less expensive than the X-T1 but are better built. This is indeed a disappointing aspect of the X-T1 -- at least the one I have.

PJBC wrote:

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Hmm. Not sure I would want to put the claimed weather sealing to the test. I seem to remember Olympus officials being shown pouring water over and EM5 a few years ago and it kept going strong - I can't imagine Fuji officials doing that with an X-T1 that has a bowed door?!

I had just about pulled the trigger on an X-T1 over preordering the E-M5ii, when I ran across this thread. One of the main reasons for wanting the X-T1 was it is supposed to be rugged -- I'll be using it climbing and mountaineering.

As an X-T1 user, I say the X-T1 is not rugged.

And, no, I will not try to pour water on an XT-1 nor use it in the mist or light rain. By the way, I have used a Pentax K-5 IIs in the rain and washed it in the sink afterward.

This door issue seems to pretty much kill any of the X-T1's weather proofing ability, and i might not order now. Is this an accurate assessment, or is there an additional seal / etc somewhere?

Pure marketing. (You know the plain translation.)

EugeneC Regular Member • Posts: 483

FWIW, IMO Fuji quality never has been that great. When I was shooting medium format film, I owned and used extensively every rangefinder type 645, 6X7, and 6X9 made by Fuji. I never removed a new one from the box to find the rangefinder properly aligned. it was usually a vertical alignment problem but sometimes a horizontal as well and sometimes both. These were professional cameras mind you. Most annoying, I became an expert at removing the top of the camera and adjusting Fuji rangefinders.

I bought a Fuji P&S film camera for my daughter, it was another POS. Their lenses have always been great but as far as building bodies, I don't think that they can fill the shoes of Nikon, Canon or Olympus and for that matter many of the others. In fact the endless firmware improvements seem to prove that their design team is not too surefooted.

I like my X-T1 but after reading this thread, I really expected more from the company. Disappointing to hear that in some cases that they didn't back their own in warranty product.

I know my comments won't set well with many of you guys and gals but I have been using these tools for a long time. Please consider that before flaming me.

Gene

EugeneC's gear list:EugeneC's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +8 more
Skipper494 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,264

It would seem to have been exposed to excessive heat at some time.

Marco Cinnirella

Skipper494 wrote:

No, while SOME of these door issues MAY be due to use in hot climates by no means all of them are. Fuji seem to have used low grade components for the door and the faux leather and glue.

-- hide signature --

kfox203 Regular Member • Posts: 139

Does anyone know if Fuji has made any design changes to address the port door and grip issues? Just bought a new X-T1, serial 44Axxxxx and wondering if I'm going to be eventually facing these problems too

One thing I have noticed, I find the card door to be quite solid, not flimsy at all as described by some here.

JS Burnie
JS Burnie Veteran Member • Posts: 3,882

Mine is black 42Axxxxxxxxx.  No problems.  It survived a week of all day shooting in Death Valley with temperatures of 105F+ and travel in a hot SUV.  Guess I have been lucky so far.

-- hide signature --
 JS Burnie's gear list:JS Burnie's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +5 more
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

Skipper494 wrote:

Nope. Mine certainly wasn't. Really bowed.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
jaapjaap New Member • Posts: 19

My serial is 41m06814.

I have a bowed door and the rubber comes off as well.

DarnGoodPhotos Veteran Member • Posts: 8,470

jaapjaap wrote:

My serial is 41m06814.

I have a bowed door and the rubber comes off as well.

I bought a Kaza half case because I never use those ports and it covers them, pressing the door flat.

In a larger sense, why did Fuji use two styles of port doors?

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +3 more
CrazyCanuk Regular Member • Posts: 309

+1 with both the front rubber issue as well as a bowed connector cover door... an early production X-T1 s/n 41A02621.

I believe the underlying cause is not heat related but rather due to the specific formulation of the plastic/rubber compound used to fabricate these parts.

The parts expand over time (and perhaps in an unwanted reaction with natural oils of the hand as well). The expansion breaks the adhesive bond in the case of the rubber material on the front of the camera. The connector cover door dilates to a size where it no longer fits its intended opening. And, on my camera, I've also noticed that its becoming increasingly difficult to remove the vertical battery connector cover on the base of the camera as this part is also dilating.

The list of items I hope Fuji Canada will honor under warranty include:

1. Light leak via Mic/HDMI ports during long exposures
  2. Selector/function buttons are too recessed thus difficult to press
  3. Rubber expansion on back of camera now makes the rear command dial very difficult to operate.
  4. Rubber on front of camera has expanded to the point where its no longer bonded to the grip portion and now overlaps onto the magnesium base.
  5. Replace connector cover door.
  6. Replace vertical battery connector cover.

In my view the root cause of all these issues comes down to manufacturing defects.

Well see how Fuji responds..

CrazyCanuk's gear list:CrazyCanuk's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +2 more

In my view the root cause of all these issues come down to manufacturing defects.

+1

Low-quality materials.

My "old" X20 holds up much better. It still looks and feels quite good. Everything is straight and solid. The faux leather material is grippy but not sticky and not worn out. In general, between my X20 and X-T1, the former gives a stronger feeling of confidence when being handled.

I don't think the X-T1 is rugged and weather/water/dust-resistant. My Pentax K-5 is. (Oh well, "jumbo shrimp" is still smallish in the overall scheme of things. )

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads