X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

Started Sep 24, 2014 | Discussions
Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 578
Re: X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

Have no problems with my X-T1..........yet. My old Nikon D2X (USD 5000:-) with `the rubber issue´;(

Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,605

Sabud wrote:

Have no problems with my X-T1..........yet. My old Nikon D2X (USD 5000:-) with `the rubber issue´;(

Yikes !

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
Marco Cinnirella

shigzeo wrote:

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I have the bowed door, and use a small piece of electrical tape as a fix to keep it tight shut.

Not ideal - but I see it as a 'first world' type problem, so I'm not going to bother sending the camera in just for that.

I'll mention it to Fuji though and see what they say

I'm heavily invested in Fuji X - owning X-E1s, X-E2, X100 and lenses, but this sounds really disappointing about the X-T1 - I get that this has happened to cameras made by other manufacturers but I thought part of the whole design ethic of the Fujis was very high build quality. It won't affect IQ I know, but it sounds like the bowed door will impact weather sealing for a camera at this price point you really shouldn't have to resort to fixing things with tape. It's also not great that it sounds like Fuji fix it under warranty for some folks and in some countries and not in others - there should be consistency in how they handle what sounds like a relatively common fault.

Agreed. Strange, however, that this is only just now catching wind here at DPReview. Mine's been bowed since the 2nd month I had it, and I assume, so, too, has the doors of many others. The problem isn't just the bow, but the shallow-flange seals. It is pretty poorly assembled with or without the bow. Mine and every other x-T1 I've handled has always flicked open with very little pressure. Ditto the card door.

Hmm. Not sure I would want to put the claimed weather sealing to the test. I seem to remember Olympus officials being shown pouring water over and EM5 a few years ago and it kept going strong - I can't imagine Fuji officials doing that with an X-T1 that has a bowed door?!

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

ThatCamFan Regular Member • Posts: 101
Weather sealed? Not anymore.

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I have the bowed door, and use a small piece of electrical tape as a fix to keep it tight shut.

Not ideal - but I see it as a 'first world' type problem, so I'm not going to bother sending the camera in just for that.

Non the less seems this makes the x-t1 non weather proof despite claimS fom fuji which is an issue promising a product they cant deliver

ThatCamFan's gear list:ThatCamFan's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Brian Caslis
Brian Caslis Senior Member • Posts: 2,932
Re: Weather sealed? Not anymore.

I have an X-T1 from March 2014 with no "bubbling" cover or peeling rubber. These forums are like an echo chamber, because a few people are having a problem, all the cameras are defective?

Regarding ones in stores, demo cameras are usually most abused cameras I've ever seen. They are not a good judge for wear. I know for a fact that some stores allow employees to use the demo cameras during off hours. They aren't just sitting in a cabinet looking pretty all the time.

Brian Caslis's gear list:Brian Caslis's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon AP-F 70-300mm F4.5-5.6E Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Epson Stylus Pro 3880
wisebug Regular Member • Posts: 384

Brian Caslis wrote:

I have an X-T1 from March 2014 with no "bubbling" cover or peeling rubber. These forums are like an echo chamber, because a few people are having a problem, all the cameras are defective?

Regarding ones in stores, demo cameras are usually most abused cameras I've ever seen. They are not a good judge for wear. I know for a fact that some stores allow employees to use the demo cameras during off hours. They aren't just sitting in a cabinet looking pretty all the time.

I guess it happen when you frequently use the door, I never do since I use a card reader, but I could be wrong.

I still feel they need to fix it because it's stupid to sell WR lens when you can't even have proper seals on the camera.

wisebug's gear list:wisebug's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 10,839

ThatCamFan wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

Non the less seems this makes the x-t1 non weather proof despite claimS fom fuji which is an issue promising a product they cant deliver

we have folks on here that have had that door replaced FOC by Fuji service to fix their issue - so if you have one, and it concerns you, you can get it fixed and move on

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +41 more
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

wisebug wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

I guess it happen when you frequently use the door, I never do since I use a card reader, but I could be wrong.

I still feel they need to fix it because it's stupid to sell WR lens when you can't even have proper seals on the camera.

I never use the door and it turned shapes. The door does pop open of its own accord (as does the door of every X-T1 I've handled) since the construction of its flange is too shallow.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
wisebug Regular Member • Posts: 384

shigzeo wrote:

wisebug wrote:

Brian Caslis wrote:

I never use the door and it turned shapes. The door does pop open of its own accord (as does the door of every X-T1 I've handled) since the construction of its flange is too shallow.

I'll keep an eye on mine then.

wisebug's gear list:wisebug's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
jiri bernovsky
jiri bernovsky Regular Member • Posts: 133
Re: same here (pic)

jiri bernovsky's gear list:jiri bernovsky's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8 XF 90mm +6 more
ThatCamFan Regular Member • Posts: 101

Chris Dodkin wrote:

ThatCamFan wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

we have folks on here that have had that door replaced FOC by Fuji service to fix their issue - so if you have one, and it concerns you, you can get it fixed and move on

I was thinking about purchasing one & this topic made me nervous about it.

However the service in my country for any camera seller sucks as we have got only stores selling, no official Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony & so on service stations.

ThatCamFan's gear list:ThatCamFan's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
More On Junior Member • Posts: 38

I've seen it on two X-T1's I've trialled in shops. Completely buckled and unable to be pressed in.

sinistral wrote:

The door covering the connection ports has also bowed out and no longer sits flush with the side of the camera. I don't have a light leaking model, so that's not an issue, but am a bit concerned with any particles or other things getting in there.

Marco Cinnirella

More On wrote:

I've seen it on two X-T1's I've trialled in shops. Completely buckled and unable to be pressed in.

sinistral wrote:

The door covering the connection ports has also bowed out and no longer sits flush with the side of the camera. I don't have a light leaking model, so that's not an issue, but am a bit concerned with any particles or other things getting in there.

I wonder what they do to fix it - if it is a design flaw, then fitting a new part is only a temporary fix and you would think it would happen again, unless they have completely re-engineered one or more parts to eliminate it.

The issue of the peeling faux leather is annoying but I guess only cosmetic - not sure if it affects weather sealing or just looks, pride and re-sale value. It's not great really - but as others have shown in words and images above, it's not just Fujis that have this peeling grip issue.

-- hide signature --

tlinn
tlinn Contributing Member • Posts: 568

I will never understand how anyone at Fuji looked at the cheap doors they put on the X-T1 and thought, "Yes.  That will do nicely."

tlinn's gear list:tlinn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 16mm f/2.0 ED AS UMC CS +10 more
Marco Cinnirella

tlinn wrote:

I will never understand how anyone at Fuji looked at the cheap doors they put on the X-T1 and thought, "Yes. That will do nicely."

+1

-- hide signature --

shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

tlinn wrote:

I will never understand how anyone at Fuji looked at the cheap doors they put on the X-T1 and thought, "Yes. That will do nicely."

The same people that allowed the card door, which looks to be whittled from plastic by a boy scout.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
Marco Cinnirella

shigzeo wrote:

tlinn wrote:

The same people that allowed the card door, which looks to be whittled from plastic by a boy scout.

I have to say that the card/battery and also the input/output port doors on most of the Fuji X series are a bit of a let-down - in comparison, the general build quality of the other components seems on the high side.

-- hide signature --

Gilly73 Forum Member • Posts: 94

I also have the bowed door cover and am deciding whether to send it for warranty repair before mine expires shortly. I have only used the door a handful of times. I too have wondered if it is just the same part they're using and whether the problem will simply reoccur in a couple of months.

As to the question of whether the part has been re-engineered, what do those who've had theirs repaired think? Any difference? Has anyone handled the newer graphite version of the camera and noticed any difference in the doors? Just curious.

Gilly73's gear list:Gilly73's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
John Friar Forum Member • Posts: 67

I have had my repaired camera for about a month and the door remains closed and sits very flat. When I originally received the camera, about a year ago, the door would not close cleanly from the time I first opened it. For that reason, I haven't yet opened the repaired door. This doesn't worry me as I have no need to use the various ports. My hope is that Fuji are using an updated design or different material specs. for the repaired door. I think the real test will happen once the weather warms up a little as it appeared that the material used expanded more on warmer days.

Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 391

if you don't mind, keep us informed with an update to this post.  I'm (and I'm sure others are) curious to see if Fuji's fix is effective in the long term.

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads