X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

Started Sep 24, 2014 | Discussions
AlphaLux
AlphaLux Forum Member • Posts: 70
Re: X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

I was checking out the X-T1 at a local camera shop (Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR) and their store display has the exact same bubbling cover.  Unless they've rented it out or it's a return, I'm not sure that store display unit has ever even been outside of the shop!  Maybe the cover tends to do that just from handling and not from heat?

Of course. The "overheating" explanation is pure bs. It's s shame really -- Brand new Tumblr dedicated to my life through the Sony a7 http://alphaetlux.tumblr.com/
tom1234567
tom1234567 Senior Member • Posts: 1,882

That's a shame about your camera,

everyone with this problem should contact Fuji,

and if they get enough complaints they may do something,

Tom G

-- hide signature --

N.S.A. and G.C.H.Q. The only government goons that "LISTEN"?????
I'm a 30yr old trapped in a 63yr old body

tom1234567's gear list:tom1234567's gear list
Nikon D7200 Fujifilm X-T2
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,947

baobob wrote:

Is it possible to imagine that this could be due to overeating of the body while you are travelling ?

If not Fuji should take care of that very easy to fix altogether

That said the big CaNik experienced the same issues on several bodies. In such cases they had the camera to be refurbished

This is different from rubber peeling, and is different from distended rubber from stress. I've never put my X-T1 under any stress. In fact, I rarely use it at all. But it bowed out. I've seen Nikons with similar stretches, but only from extreme use.

The fact is that the doors on the Fujifilm cameras are very very poor quality: they are thin, lack proper flanges, and don't create vacuum when closed.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,150

yes the 2 doors are flimsys especially the one with the card thta you open often to save the files

The Canon 700D had a defective rubber fabric that was worn out very quicly same fo Nikon I don't rememeber which one (too soft rubber)

Fuji should take care if your body anyway

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309

sinistral wrote:

Update on this...

I wrote to Fuji about my issue and they suggested sending in the camera, which I did. Spoke with them yesterday and they have concluded that the camera "may have been subjected to high temperatures", which is the reason for the peeling rubber. And so, it is not covered under warranty.

I voiced my disappointment and said that since being in my possession (purchased new in March) it has not been subject to temperatures beyond walking around on a summer day taking photos (in eastern Canada, by the way, which is not exactly sweltering). The lady politely said that this was the technician's conclusion and was taken up the chain and that's their decision. No room for negotiation, take it or leave it.

This isn't the first time (or only manufacturer) I've seen where the defect was attributed to the user to avoid coverage under the warranty. Really, that little rubber 'door' couldn't cost them more than a dollar or two and possibly a very short amount of time to install. Even at 15% off it seems you paid well over $100 for this. I would think any camera maker would go for the 'good will' angle and just replace it.

They sent me the repair estimate ($120 base fee for all X-series camera service, $15-20 in materials, plus tax and shipping). I complained further in my email response to the estimate and they have since reduced the cost by 15%, which is a nice, but small, consideration.

I'm going ahead with the repair, as I need the camera back very soon, but am pretty miffed. I've been racking my brain to see if maybe I had left it in the car for a day during the summer or something, but I'm not coming up with anything where it would've been in there very long apart from longer drives where some kind of cooling would have been on.

It looks to me as though the little 'door' is made of somewhat thin rubber and with the passage of time, popping it open many times by the little tab in the center, it has stretched a bit out of shape and that's why it bows out. I don't think you've done anything that could realistically be called your fault for this.

I'm going to be extra mindful in the future and just hope that it doesn't return.

Their work is warrantied for a year, but we'll see what that means, if anything, if the same thing comes back.

I doubt the repair warranty covers what they regard as 'your fault' anymore than the original warranty did. Best to see if you can find a way to prevent getting the little door stretched. Maybe put the camera away for longer terms with a flat rubber band around the body exerting some pressure against that door to help keep it in shape? Just a thought.

I know how you feel about this because I hate looking at anything I have that's got an obvious defect. I'm not afraid to use my stuff but I like to keep it looking good as you do. My wife can get a new item and in a week or two it's got scratches and dings; I can sell something I've had for a couple of years and it looks almost new.

AlphaLux
AlphaLux Forum Member • Posts: 70

Midwest wrote:

It looks to me as though the little 'door' is made of somewhat thin rubber and with the passage of time, popping it open many times by the little tab in the center, it has stretched a bit out of shape and that's why it bows out. I don't think you've done anything that could realistically be called your fault for this.

I know for me this wasn't the case. I literally only ever opened the flap once to test for the light leak. Otherwise I really had no need to - I dont use any of the plugs on that side.

-- hide signature --

Brand new Tumblr dedicated to my life through the Sony a7
http://alphaetlux.tumblr.com/

Midwest Forum Pro • Posts: 18,309

AlphaLux wrote:

Midwest wrote:

I know for me this wasn't the case. I literally only ever opened the flap once to test for the light leak. Otherwise I really had no need to - I dont use any of the plugs on that side.

Then it sounds like it was just a bad choice of material or design or something. I really think Fuji should not be charging people well in excess of $100 for that tiny thing when apparently the problem was Fuji 's own doing.

DRFNOLA New Member • Posts: 1

I've got the same two problems with my X-T1. Your photos could be my camera precisely. Likewise, my camera has never been exposed to intense heat other than the heat generated by the camera itself during a long shoot. On those instances I typically have the camera a on monopod cradling the lower left part of the camera body with my left hand. When I noticed this problem I presumed the rubber pealing was from hand sweat (though this never happened on any of my 3 Canon bodies in 15 years), but the plastic door expansion and bowing was a mystery.  I never imagined plastic could expand in such a way but it clearly has. The door bows because it has swelled to the point that it won't fit in the designed space and is not stiff enough to maintain its shape. That seems like a design flaw to me.

Incidentally, I only notice the problem when I felt air escaping from the side door when using a blower on the sensor. This camera is billed as having a weather sealed body, yet normal camera usage has rendered the interior of the camera exposed via the open AV port door. The fact that Fuji won't fix this on their dime is very disappointing.

I'll bring my 4 month old camera back to the store to discuss this with the Fuji desk and will report my findings. Meanwhile I'm using the battery grip so as not to worsen the problem.

Very disappointing.

PeterPrism
PeterPrism Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

tell the truth! you put it in the microwave! 

PeterPrism's gear list:PeterPrism's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +1 more
Moomeuh Junior Member • Posts: 46

Fuji UK replaced my badly bowed rubber door at no cost and with no quibbling. I bought the camera online from B&H in the US but registered it in the UK.

Moomeuh Junior Member • Posts: 46

I now have the peeling-rubber problem in at least three places, so I'm going to have to send my X-T1 back to Fuji again. This is the third time since I bought it. It's a lovely camera, but either Fuji is using shoddy parts, or there's no proper quality control. I'm getting sick of it.

hanwook Junior Member • Posts: 29

I bought a used camera online and it had this exact same issue. it was a serial number after 42x.  i ended up returning it.  I did read about similar cases online.  I ended up buying a new one, so lets hope it doesn't do this in the future.

it doesn't make this camera water resistant

wisebug Regular Member • Posts: 384

tuerta photography wrote:

I was checking out the X-T1 at a local camera shop (Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR) and their store display has the exact same bubbling cover. Unless they've rented it out or it's a return, I'm not sure that store display unit has ever even been outside of the shop! Maybe the cover tends to do that just from handling and not from heat?

The XT1 at Lozeau in Montreal is showing the same thing

wisebug's gear list:wisebug's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
marco1974 Senior Member • Posts: 1,815
Re: X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover +1

wisebug wrote:

tuerta photography wrote:

I was checking out the X-T1 at a local camera shop (Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR) and their store display has the exact same bubbling cover. Unless they've rented it out or it's a return, I'm not sure that store display unit has ever even been outside of the shop! Maybe the cover tends to do that just from handling and not from heat?

The XT1 at Lozeau in Montreal is showing the same thing

Same thing on a display unit at Jessops in London, too. AND on a X-T1 graphite silver edition at Yodobashi in Tokyo.

It looks like this is a design flaw on an otherwise very nice camera.

M.

marco1974's gear list:marco1974's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Samyang 135mm F2.0
John Friar Forum Member • Posts: 67

John Friar wrote:

This is disappointing to hear and doesn't make sense. They are willing to offer a warranty for a year on the repair but won't stand by the original new camera warranty. This also doesn't seem to jive with the normally excellent Fuji customer service.

As I previously mentioned, the fit of the door flap on my camera is definitely affected by heat. On warmer days it seems to bow even more. Like you, I haven't subjected the camera to extreme temperatures.

I will contact Fuji service and see if I have better luck. I'll update this thread with the results.

I'm happy to report that Fuji fixed the bulging door issue under warranty. I called them a couple of weeks ago and the support person told me that it would be repaired under warranty, as long as there were no signs of misuse. Other than the door, the camera is in "like new" condition so I was hopeful that the warranty would be honoured. I sent the camera in by Fed-Ex, at my expense, and it was returned 7 days later with a perfectly fitting door. The repair report also claimed that all grips were replaced, too. I didn't ask for this and I'm not convinced that they actually did the work. Either way, the camera appears to be in great condition.

I'm now a happy XT1 owner again!

shigzeo

John Friar wrote:

John Friar wrote:

This is disappointing to hear and doesn't make sense. They are willing to offer a warranty for a year on the repair but won't stand by the original new camera warranty. This also doesn't seem to jive with the normally excellent Fuji customer service.

As I previously mentioned, the fit of the door flap on my camera is definitely affected by heat. On warmer days it seems to bow even more. Like you, I haven't subjected the camera to extreme temperatures.

I will contact Fuji service and see if I have better luck. I'll update this thread with the results.

I'm happy to report that Fuji fixed the bulging door issue under warranty. I called them a couple of weeks ago and the support person told me that it would be repaired under warranty, as long as there were no signs of misuse. Other than the door, the camera is in "like new" condition so I was hopeful that the warranty would be honoured. I sent the camera in by Fed-Ex, at my expense, and it was returned 7 days later with a perfectly fitting door. The repair report also claimed that all grips were replaced, too. I didn't ask for this and I'm not convinced that they actually did the work. Either way, the camera appears to be in great condition.

I'm now a happy XT1 owner again!

I have that neat Fujifilm lens rental thing going on near in the smoggy city of Tokyo. I'll have to see if they will fix mine. Glad to hear your problem is resolved.

Leica SL (Typ 601) Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica M10 Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
Big Swifty Regular Member • Posts: 391

I have the bowed door issue as well. I live outside the US, far from the only authorized service center in this country that would have the part and I purchased used, so sending it back to Fuji isn't an option.

I do use the door so I can attach my shutter release cable and use the port to connect the camera to a television. I'm about to get a smart phone and will use the app as a shutter release. Haven't noticed any problems, but I wouldn't mind fixing this somehow and I'm guessing this area is no longer weather sealed. Anyone come up with a D.I.Y. solution? Can the part be purchased and easily installed?

Big Swifty's gear list:Big Swifty's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +6 more
Chris Dodkin
Chris Dodkin Forum Pro • Posts: 10,787

I have the bowed door, and use a small piece of electrical tape as a fix to keep it tight shut.

Not ideal - but I see it as a 'first world' type problem, so I'm not going to bother sending the camera in just for that.

I'll mention it to Fuji though and see what they say

-- hide signature --

http://f-sunny.com
The future is just a click away...

Chris Dodkin's gear list:Chris Dodkin's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X100F Canon EOS-1D Canon EOS-1D Mark II Fujifilm X-Pro1 +41 more
Marco Cinnirella
Marco Cinnirella Veteran Member • Posts: 7,596

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I have the bowed door, and use a small piece of electrical tape as a fix to keep it tight shut.

Not ideal - but I see it as a 'first world' type problem, so I'm not going to bother sending the camera in just for that.

I'm heavily invested in Fuji X - owning X-E1s, X-E2, X100 and lenses, but this sounds really disappointing about the X-T1 - I get that this has happened to cameras made by other manufacturers but I thought part of the whole design ethic of the Fujis was very high build quality. It won't affect IQ I know, but it sounds like the bowed door will impact weather sealing  for a camera at this price point you really shouldn't have to resort to fixing things with tape. It's also not great that it sounds like Fuji fix it under warranty for some folks and in some countries and not in others - there should be consistency in how they handle what sounds like a relatively common fault.

-- hide signature --

"When words become unclear, I shall focus with photographs. When images become inadequate, I shall be content with silence." Ansel Adams.

Marco Cinnirella's gear list:Marco Cinnirella's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a99 II Sony Alpha a99 Fujifilm X-H1
shigzeo

Marco Cinnirella wrote:

Chris Dodkin wrote:

I'm heavily invested in Fuji X - owning X-E1s, X-E2, X100 and lenses, but this sounds really disappointing about the X-T1 - I get that this has happened to cameras made by other manufacturers but I thought part of the whole design ethic of the Fujis was very high build quality. It won't affect IQ I know, but it sounds like the bowed door will impact weather sealing for a camera at this price point you really shouldn't have to resort to fixing things with tape. It's also not great that it sounds like Fuji fix it under warranty for some folks and in some countries and not in others - there should be consistency in how they handle what sounds like a relatively common fault.

Agreed. Strange, however, that this is only just now catching wind here at DPReview. Mine's been bowed since the 2nd month I had it, and I assume, so, too, has the doors of many others. The problem isn't just the bow, but the shallow-flange seals. It is pretty poorly assembled with or without the bow. Mine and every other x-T1 I've handled has always flicked open with very little pressure. Ditto the card door.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads