X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

Started Sep 24, 2014 | Discussions
sinistral Forum Member • Posts: 80
X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

Hi folks,

I did some quick searching on the forum, but didn't see anything related to this. Apologies if this has already been covered.  I'm curious if others are having the same issue as me.

I love my X-T1 to death and have been using it consistently since it released. I am in love with photography again. What I'm NOT in love with though, is an issue that I've just noticed developing with the rubber covering and the door that covers the various connections.

Please see the attached pictures (apologies for the crappy cell shots), but I've been noticing that the rubber covering on my X-T1 has started to stretch and become loose. You can see it on the bottom edges mainly, and I can also feel that it has "let go" near the top portion of the grip, where it's kind of spongy and no longer directly adhered to the body. Has anyone else heard of or seen this issue?

The door covering the connection ports has also bowed out and no longer sits flush with the side of the camera. I don't have a light leaking model, so that's not an issue, but am a bit concerned with any particles or other things getting in there.

I've put plenty of hours on my X-T1 one since getting it. It's typically always with me, I've shot for various street festivals, concerts, a summer personal project (show opening in a couple weeks!), and am about to shoot a few shows for a multi-day music festival. So, it's been used pretty heavily since purchase (and will continue to do so), but it's only been six months. I'm devastated that it's starting to come apart already.

I'm going to get in touch with Fuji and see what they say. I can't send it out for any repairs until essentially November after the music festival, but am just looking to gather any opinions or evidence of the issue from other folks.

Thanks!

Adam

Rubber pulling away along the bottom near the connection cover

Rubber starting to pull away along the bottom of the grip

The door covering the connections is bowed out and no longer flush.

Just to show that I can push the door back in flat, but it springs back to its curved shape after I let go

-- hide signature --

In case of photography, take glass.

Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Macintosh Sauce
Macintosh Sauce Contributing Member • Posts: 706
Re: X-T1 - Loose rubber and bowed door cover

This is the first time I've ever read about that issue with a X-T1. I'm sure Fujifilm will take care of it properly. They always seem to impress me when I read about people dealing with them.

I don't own a Fujifilm camera yet. Soon, real soon. X-T1 (Graphite Silver Edition).

OP sinistral Forum Member • Posts: 80

Okay, I'll take the radio silence to mean that this hasn't been an issue for people. A good thing, for sure, but a bit frustrating on my end.  I'll update this thread with my experience getting it fixed, if and when that happens.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Macintosh Sauce.  I've heard lots of good things about Fuji's customer service, so hopefully that applies to my situation too.

-- hide signature --

D200_4me
D200_4me Veteran Member • Posts: 4,522
Just curious....

Do you have one of the very early models that had the light leak and did you send it back to them at some point to have that fixed?   If so, I'm wondering if they removed the rubber and it's not sticking as well as it should after they put it back on after the repair.

-- hide signature --
 D200_4me's gear list:D200_4me's gear list
Nikon Z7 Panasonic G95 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +1 more
shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

sinistral wrote:

Okay, I'll take the radio silence to mean that this hasn't been an issue for people. A good thing, for sure, but a bit frustrating on my end. I'll update this thread with my experience getting it fixed, if and when that happens.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Macintosh Sauce. I've heard lots of good things about Fuji's customer service, so hopefully that applies to my situation too.

I have the bowed cover as do MANY people I've met here in Japan with the X-T1. But no one talks about it. I have no idea why. The rubber peeling isn't common, but happens with all rubber-covered cameras and has to do with your hands, the oils in your palms, the environment, etc.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
Re: Just curious....

D200_4me wrote:

Do you have one of the very early models that had the light leak and did you send it back to them at some point to have that fixed? If so, I'm wondering if they removed the rubber and it's not sticking as well as it should after they put it back on after the repair.

No, mine was not one of the leakers, but was relatively early in the production, I would assume.  I got it the day it released in Canada.  It has not had the rubber removed, so this should be all stock assembly.

-- hide signature --

Kabe Luna
Kabe Luna Veteran Member • Posts: 9,496

It's the price you pay for soft, grippy rubber. All my Nikons suffer from this to one extent or another, including my Dƒ, the rear thumb pad of which, also after 6 months, is visibly (and tacitly) loosening from the body. Good news is, if you can get Fuji to sell you the rubber parts, it should be easy to replace. You use denatured alcohol to clean the mounting surfaces of adhesive residue after removing the old rubber, let it dry completely, the attach the new rubbers. I did this with all the rubber on my D700. Took all of 30 minutes, start to finish.

Another note, the chemical composition of some people's perspiration accelerates this process more than others. I'm one of them, as may you be, apparently. Environmental conditions also weigh in, so don't put too much stock in the experience of other users.

sinistral wrote:

Hi folks,

I did some quick searching on the forum, but didn't see anything related to this. Apologies if this has already been covered. I'm curious if others are having the same issue as me.

I love my X-T1 to death and have been using it consistently since it released. I am in love with photography again. What I'm NOT in love with though, is an issue that I've just noticed developing with the rubber covering and the door that covers the various connections.

Please see the attached pictures (apologies for the crappy cell shots), but I've been noticing that the rubber covering on my X-T1 has started to stretch and become loose. You can see it on the bottom edges mainly, and I can also feel that it has "let go" near the top portion of the grip, where it's kind of spongy and no longer directly adhered to the body. Has anyone else heard of or seen this issue?

The door covering the connection ports has also bowed out and no longer sits flush with the side of the camera. I don't have a light leaking model, so that's not an issue, but am a bit concerned with any particles or other things getting in there.

I've put plenty of hours on my X-T1 one since getting it. It's typically always with me, I've shot for various street festivals, concerts, a summer personal project (show opening in a couple weeks!), and am about to shoot a few shows for a multi-day music festival. So, it's been used pretty heavily since purchase (and will continue to do so), but it's only been six months. I'm devastated that it's starting to come apart already.

I'm going to get in touch with Fuji and see what they say. I can't send it out for any repairs until essentially November after the music festival, but am just looking to gather any opinions or evidence of the issue from other folks.

Thanks!

Adam

Rubber pulling away along the bottom near the connection cover

Rubber starting to pull away along the bottom of the grip

The door covering the connections is bowed out and no longer flush.

Just to show that I can push the door back in flat, but it springs back to its curved shape after I let go

-- hide signature --

- - - - - -
Garland
garland.smugmug.com
http://www.garlandcary.com

Kabe Luna's gear list:Kabe Luna's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D750 Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +12 more
John Friar Forum Member • Posts: 67

I have this problem and posted on this forum a few weeks back. I received only one response so figured that this is not a common issue.

The problem started very soon after receiving the camera. I had the light leak issue and sent the camera in for repair, also asking Fuji to check out the bulging door. The camera was returned with the light leak problem fixed but the door issue remained, and was possibly worse!

I have noticed that the door will bulge more on a hot day. I'm in two minds now, to either return to Fuji for repair, or to use a non-permanent, peel-able, sealant to keep it closed. I also have the squishy D-pad button problem. I may wait and request that the buttons and door are fixed at the same time.

John

SyedSadaqatAli Junior Member • Posts: 30

I have been using XT-1 in moderately difficult conditions (both hot and cold) and I have not had this happened to it. On the other hand my Nikon D700 shows this phenomenon on hand grip, sides and strangely on professional quality lenses (rubber on the zoom ring getting very loose). However my Canon gear (5D, 5D Mark II and 6D) do not shot this at all. I took my XT-1 to amsterdam and was shooting mostly in rain, but the camera worked without a problem. See the photos of XT-1 shooting Amsetrdam with 14mm f/2.8, 10-24mm f/4, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2

SyedSadaqatAli's gear list:SyedSadaqatAli's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more
SyedSadaqatAli Junior Member • Posts: 30

Sorry, forgot to put the link of Amsterdam shot with XT-1, and 14mm f/2.8, 35mm f/1.4, 56mm f/1.2 and 10-24 f/4

http://albums.phanfare.com/isolated/HxsgqcLD/1/6575546

SyedSadaqatAli's gear list:SyedSadaqatAli's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Fujifilm X100S Canon EOS 5D Mark II Nikon D700 Fujifilm X-T1 +28 more

Thanks for all the replies, folks.

The interesting (and slightly frustrating) thing about this is I've never had it happen with my Canon gear in the past.  I put a few Canon dSLRs through some moderately heavy use for 3-4 years each and never encountered a problem like this.  The rubber did wear down over time, but never loosened.  I would hope that this falls under Fuji's 2-year warranty and will be fixed free of charge.  I'll update this thread with information after I've communicated with Fuji.

-- hide signature --

Peter Bendheim
Peter Bendheim Senior Member • Posts: 2,500

Knowing that I have sweaty hands I always used to clean my Nikon rubber parts when I had Nikons after every outing and I never ever had peeling rubber - I think that skin oil and sweat degrade the rubber and with a damp cloth cleaning one can avoid this almost 100 percent.

-- hide signature --

Peter Bendheim
www.peterbendheim.com

Peter Bendheim's gear list:Peter Bendheim's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon G1 X III Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro1 +1 more
pcb_dpr Contributing Member • Posts: 838

As evidenced by some of the replies, peeling rubber is not uncommon for Canikon, worse for some folks than others. Knowing that doesn't make it suck any less when it happens to you. I haven't seen this on any of my Fuji bodies yet, but clearly it is possible. Hopefully Fuji will address this for you under warranty, or at least make a new rubber cover kit available to owners at a reasonable price.

Can't offer much on the bowing door issue, haven't seen that before. Again, hopefully Fuji will warranty that as well. Pls keep us informed!

Just a Photographer Senior Member • Posts: 1,368

I've had this problem with two of my Canons 20D and 5DMKII.
So its not uncommon for a camera. But its bad to be out of luck when it happens to your camera.

Just a Photographer's gear list:Just a Photographer's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +9 more

Update on this...

I wrote to Fuji about my issue and they suggested sending in the camera, which I did.  Spoke with them yesterday and they have concluded that the camera "may have been subjected to high temperatures", which is the reason for the peeling rubber.  And so, it is not covered under warranty.

I voiced my disappointment and said that since being in my possession (purchased new in March) it has not been subject to temperatures beyond walking around on a summer day taking photos (in eastern Canada, by the way, which is not exactly sweltering).  The lady politely said that this was the technician's conclusion and was taken up the chain and that's their decision.  No room for negotiation, take it or leave it.

They sent me the repair estimate ($120 base fee for all X-series camera service, $15-20 in materials, plus tax and shipping).  I complained further in my email response to the estimate and they have since reduced the cost by 15%, which is a nice, but small, consideration.

I'm going ahead with the repair, as I need the camera back very soon, but am pretty miffed.  I've been racking my brain to see if maybe I had left it in the car for a day during the summer or something, but I'm not coming up with anything where it would've been in there very long apart from longer drives where some kind of cooling would have been on.

I'm going to be extra mindful in the future and just hope that it doesn't return. Their work is warrantied for a year, but we'll see what that means, if anything, if the same thing comes back.

-- hide signature --

John Friar Forum Member • Posts: 67

This is disappointing to hear and doesn't make sense. They are willing to offer a warranty for a year on the repair but won't stand by the original new camera warranty. This also doesn't seem to jive with the normally excellent Fuji customer service.

As I previously mentioned, the fit of the door flap on my camera is definitely affected by heat. On warmer days it seems to bow even more. Like you, I haven't subjected the camera to extreme temperatures.

I will contact Fuji service and see if I have better luck. I'll update this thread with the results.

shigzeo
shigzeo Senior Member • Posts: 1,951

sinistral wrote:

Update on this...

I wrote to Fuji about my issue and they suggested sending in the camera, which I did. Spoke with them yesterday and they have concluded that the camera "may have been subjected to high temperatures", which is the reason for the peeling rubber. And so, it is not covered under warranty.

I voiced my disappointment and said that since being in my possession (purchased new in March) it has not been subject to temperatures beyond walking around on a summer day taking photos (in eastern Canada, by the way, which is not exactly sweltering). The lady politely said that this was the technician's conclusion and was taken up the chain and that's their decision. No room for negotiation, take it or leave it.

They sent me the repair estimate ($120 base fee for all X-series camera service, $15-20 in materials, plus tax and shipping). I complained further in my email response to the estimate and they have since reduced the cost by 15%, which is a nice, but small, consideration.

I'm going ahead with the repair, as I need the camera back very soon, but am pretty miffed. I've been racking my brain to see if maybe I had left it in the car for a day during the summer or something, but I'm not coming up with anything where it would've been in there very long apart from longer drives where some kind of cooling would have been on.

I'm going to be extra mindful in the future and just hope that it doesn't return. Their work is warrantied for a year, but we'll see what that means, if anything, if the same thing comes back.

Mine also has not been subjected to high temperatures. I didn't own a car until very recently and the camera always was in an air conditioned room. I'm disappointed to hear how Fujifilm handled your case.

shigzeo's gear list:shigzeo's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50S Leica APO-Summicron-M 90mm f/2 ASPH +6 more
AlphaLux
AlphaLux Forum Member • Posts: 70

Yep my door bowed in under 3 months of ownership. Because I was in the U.S. with a Candian camera I just took the hit and sold it as I had a gut feeling they would do something like this. I wasn't about to play the shipping game with them. Flat out rediculous
--
Brand new Tumblr dedicated to my life through the Sony a7
http://alphaetlux.tumblr.com/

tuerta photography
tuerta photography Junior Member • Posts: 40

I was checking out the X-T1 at a local camera shop (Pro Photo Supply in Portland, OR) and their store display has the exact same bubbling cover.  Unless they've rented it out or it's a return, I'm not sure that store display unit has ever even been outside of the shop!  Maybe the cover tends to do that just from handling and not from heat?

baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 13,210

Is it possible to imagine that this could be due to overeating of the body while you are travelling ?

If not Fuji should take care of that very easy to fix altogether

That said the big CaNik experienced the same issues on several bodies. In such cases they had the camera to be refurbished

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads